It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

Mandrel99 HB User
Question One more question....skipping second discetomy to fusion??

Ok... So I was wondering has anyone had a laminectomy/discetomy and it has failed. Then when you went back to the doctor, it was recommended to have the same surgery over again, but the doctor mention you could take a more invasive way and go right to the fusion??? I was wondering if this is uncommon. My surgeon told me that I could do the lami/disc again, but he believes that I will be back in about six months for a fusion. So I am thinking, why not get it over with. What are everyone's thought???

Old 03-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: One more question....skipping second discetomy to fusion??

I know of a couple of people on the boards that had lamincetomy and then ended up with fusion....I am sure they will post to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
(male)

picnica HB User

had the second discectomy, doctor gave me the option. chose a different kind this time, don't know if it was the right decision. 4 weeks from surgery

Old 03-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

You just said my story. I chose the laminectomy and ended up with the fusion 8 months later. My laminectomy took 5 1/2 hours and I ended up feeling pretty good for 3 1/2 months only to bend the wrong way - emptying the dishwasher -- and ended up with more pain than before my laminectomy.

Did I make the right decision to have the laminectomy?? I think the least invasive method to go is the right method; however, if I had to replay my case and lets remember hindsight is 20/20. I would have discussed it more indepth with my surgeon and told him to make the final decision once he was in. Some people may not like my 2 cents but it is strictly my non-medical opinion.

My surgeon spent over 4 hours cleaning up around the nerves removing bone spurs and decompressing the nerves. He thought it was stable but.....we all know what happened.

My recovery from my laminectomy was painful......6 weeks and actually much harder than my fusion recovery has been. I thought I would break from the laminectomy surgery. It hurt so bad. However with my fusion I feel my back is so much stronger almost secure.

I am not sure if my rambling will help you any or not. I think this is personally an individual decision that can be made only by you. Also there are no two cases....what happened to me......may not happen to you or the next guy.

I wish you much success in whatever you final decision is and please know that I will be checking in if you have any questions or need any other information.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
(female)

Mandrel99 HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I didn't know if it was unheard of to go from a first laminectomy/diskectomy, right to a fusion without trying the same procedure again. I just feel if I am going to have to get a fusion done in the near future, why not do it now and get ride of my pain, hopefully!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I understand what you are saying but if you go for the fusion there is no going back and you possibly set yourself up for the domino effect. Personally, I know its a pain to be down for 6 weeks or more and then turn around and have to have more surgery and be down for up to 6 months.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
(male)

picnica HB User

Pepper, I am going to put a rabbits foot in my pocket.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
(male)

mniven HB User

Mandrel99, I'm in the same exact boat as you. I had a discectomy in July 2006, and the disc (L5-S1) popped out again about two months ago.

I discussed my situation with my original surgeon and the head of Neurosurgery at Georgetown University and both recommended that I first try a second discectomy before moving on to a fusion if necessary. Personally, I'd rather take the risk of the less-invasive procedure failing, then going right to the more drastic procedure that is going to keep me out of work longer.

Obviously, I may have to go the fusion road eventually, but I'm crossing my fingers that I won't.

Wish me luck, as my second discectomy is tomorrow (March 8). I'll report back afterwards.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
(male)

mniven HB User

[QUOTE=mniven;2842552]Mandrel99, I'm in the same exact boat as you. I had a discectomy in July 2006, and the disc (L5-S1) popped out again about two months ago.

I discussed my situation with my original surgeon and the head of Neurosurgery at Georgetown University and both recommended that I first try a second discectomy before moving on to a fusion if necessary. Personally, I'd rather take the risk of the less-invasive procedure failing, then going right to the more drastic procedure that is going to keep me out of work longer.

Obviously, I may have to go the fusion road eventually, but I'm crossing my fingers that I won't.

Wish me luck, as my second discectomy is tomorrow (March 8). I'll report back afterwards.[/QUOTE]

It's been almost two weeks since my second microdiscectomy, and all is going well so far. My horrendous leg pain is totally gone and I've already returned to work.

Obviously, the risk is still there for another rupture, but so far I'm happy with my decision to pursue a second MD, rather than jump right to a fusion. Knock wood that will continue to be the case.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
(female)

cherish1 HB User

That's what I did. Had a laminectomy/discectomy Dec. 05. That lasted not even 2 months. In Mar 06, I had my first fusion without instrumentation. That one didn't work and I was left with unmanageble instability in my spine. I just had my 2nd fusion with rods, screws and cages 3 months ago (3 surgeries in 12 months), and I am doing much better. Still have pain, but significantly decreased.

A doctor told me this: After a 1st discectomy/laminectomy, the faster a patient reherniates, the more likely a fusion will be next. If someone can go quite a while between, then I would say get a second l/d.
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

are you a candidate for the artificial disc?

Closed Thread