It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
(male)

DanSSwing HB User
Is anyone here able to exercise?

Is anyone on this board able to jog, hike, workout, golf, bowl, anything of that nature without pain? How bad was your back previously and for how long? What fixed it?

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: Is anyone here able to exercise?

I walk to the fridge and back alot...just kidding..be i am pre-op lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
(female)

cythren HB User

I limp along for miles in Brooklyn. I try to walk at least a mile every day - down to the Botanic garden and around the interior.

I'm joining a local health club that has a heated physical therapy pool (90 degrees). I'll do water exercises and try to use the elliptical trainer.

Being a petite woman with a limp, I hate walking in Manhattan. I'm a small person, and can't move too fast right now. People don't even see me. I was in midtown today, and a big guy much taller than me, busy talking to his friend, walked right into me. Caught my leg, and I almost fell over into a group of tourists. He didn't even break stride but at least managed to say "sorry". By that time he was halfway down the block. Jerk.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

hugg724 HB User

[QUOTE=yvette777;2840665]I walk to the fridge and back alot...just kidding..be i am pre-op lol.[/QUOTE]

hahahhahaha I was thinking something along these lines. I go to the fridge and back, up and down the stairs because my craft room is downstairs and the bathroom is upstairs, do squats up and down to the toilet....yep this is exercise to me.

Seriously, about the only thing I can do without pain is walk 1/4 - 1/2 mile. I used to be very athletic, things like bowling, softball, jogging etc are completely out of my life, never to return I know each person is different. Unfortunately, I have had additional problems and not only dealing with issues in my back but neck as well.

Exercise to strenghten those back muscles is great. I worked with a girl who had 3 discs in her back fused and she bowls, helps her kids play ball etc. I don't think I like her any more lololol

You are the only one that knows your own body so listen to it and build up to those things you want back in your life to see if you can do them.

hugs to you!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Don't ever give up hope. When I was 17 I had a fusion of s1/s2 and PRAISE THE LORD, I did not have any problems until I hit 40 then it was down hill from that point on. Between 17 and 40, I had no limitations. I ran, I jumped, I rode many of roller coasters, rode bikes, lifted weights, etc.

Now I have had my 2nd fusion L5/S1 and am 5 weeks out.....do I think I will ever be able to run, jump, ride roller coasters, etc. ???? I don't think I have to type the answer, we already no the answer.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-06-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
(male)

crookedback HB User

Hey Dan... u actually named all the things I can't do! I can watch a mean tv & drink beer like no other though!

But seriously, I was an avid weight lifter, jogger, hockey player & golfer but had to quit after my last herniation (Feb '06). The neuro surgeon I just saw wants me to try n ease back into these things to see what will happen. So I am starting back this week with some walking (1.5 mi today) & lifting.

I really see fusion in my near future as I have has 3 herniations & have been dealin with a bad back for 20 plus yrs (I'm 48).

I'm gettin tired of waitin... try to see a sports doc & get an opinion.

take crae... Dave!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

You have to think that there is a light at the end of the tunnel especially since a good percentage of people do have good or full pain relief after various types of treatments and surgeries. I have no more pain from stenosis or neurogenic claudication after my surgery and if I didn't have lupus and other joint & muscle issues going on, I'm sure I would be able to exercise more and do alot more activities. But for now, I keep on going to my physical therapy for exercise...at least I'm strenghthening my core to help my back and something is better than nothing. So never think that you're active life is gone forever, there is always a good possibility you will get it back!

Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Hi Dan. I used to be very active. Black belt karate, hunting, fishing, bicycle riding etc. Just today I went for a 10 minute ride on my airdyne! Stupid me, I tried the arms with the legs and had to stop, the pain in my upper back got real noticeable. So it's back to the recliner and the tv.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
(female)

OnHold HB User

Dan, thank you for asking that question! How I am eager to be able to hike again, and so frustrated at not being able to make it around the block without pain. It's comforting to know I'm not alone. Those of us who like to be active - and feel we're not healthy unless we are active - find it quite difficult to sit around for a change.

DietDrPepper mentioned going on roller coasters after her fusion, and I have a feeling that when the warning signs say "no one with back problems should ride" that they probably should have meant her!

Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

I'll have to say a big AMEM!!! to that.

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-07-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Dan,
What type of back problems have you had? Many of us on this board, though certainly not all, have had fusions. A fusion will force you to have some limitations, but that doesn't mean the light has to go out. I am fused through 14 vertebrae and am still healing from the last surgery, but I have no intention of becoming a couch potato! I've never been athletic, but I've always been active. I will gradually discover what I can and can't do, and I'll enjoy those things I can still do. I also hope to experience new things that perhaps I wouldn't have done if I hadn't had to curtail some other things. Like what? I don't know yet. Maybe treasure hunting. I recently read about a bunch of people who are doing these hunts where you follow clues and find their box someplace. You get something from the box and read the notebook in it and add your info to it, leaving it for the next person to find. Who knows? I may have to modify, but I'll be as active as I can be. I just made reservations for a beach trip with my church. They go every year for a weekend at the beginning of June -- on my birthday this year! I don't think I'll be on a boogie board, but I'll splash around and enjoy sitting on the beach talking to friends. The light at the end of the tunnel is a different color, but it's still bright!

Best wishes, Dan,
Emily

Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Dan,

I just had my two year check up with my surgeon. When I asked him if I could bowl he said "Sure. As long as you aren't picking up the ball or throwing it down the alley."

What about roller coasters? It's a small world and Mr. Toads' wild ride are on my list...none of the big ones that give me such a thrill.

After fusion, normal becomes a new set of definitions. That is, of course, assuming we were normal to start with.

Maybe I'll have time to really learn how to weave..taking guided tours sounds interesting..

We just need to find new ways of being "us."[/COLOR]

Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
(male)

DanSSwing HB User

[QUOTE=BlueAtlas;2842184]Hi Dan,
What type of back problems have you had? Many of us on this board, though certainly not all, have had fusions. A fusion will force you to have some limitations, but that doesn't mean the light has to go out. I am fused through 14 vertebrae and am still healing from the last surgery, but I have no intention of becoming a couch potato! I've never been athletic, but I've always been active. I will gradually discover what I can and can't do, and I'll enjoy those things I can still do. I also hope to experience new things that perhaps I wouldn't have done if I hadn't had to curtail some other things. Like what? I don't know yet. Maybe treasure hunting. I recently read about a bunch of people who are doing these hunts where you follow clues and find their box someplace. You get something from the box and read the notebook in it and add your info to it, leaving it for the next person to find. Who knows? I may have to modify, but I'll be as active as I can be. I just made reservations for a beach trip with my church. They go every year for a weekend at the beginning of June -- on my birthday this year! I don't think I'll be on a boogie board, but I'll splash around and enjoy sitting on the beach talking to friends. The light at the end of the tunnel is a different color, but it's still bright!

Best wishes, Dan,
Emily[/QUOTE]

Thanks, all. Most of my discs are dessicated and I have bulges at L5-S1 and L3-L4. It only hurts at L5-S1, but I sometimes feel mild soreness in other places. I'm in a six-month cycle where it slowly gets better to the point where I can finally go off the meds and have minimal or no pain. Then I do some exercise or another that sends me right back to where I was before. I'm in the Army, so I need to be able to do at least some exercise.

I've been doing physical therapy and using a home traction unit (but anything over 75 lbs hurts). I'm considering the DRX9000 or the VAX-D. I'm trying to put off surgery as long as possible since I'm only 33.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi again, Dan,
You might want to look at the sticky at the top of the page on the DRX9000. You'll find the experiences of others who have looked into it, some of whom tried it. I haven't heard good things about it here on the board. Sounds like a large investment for little to no gain.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 03-08-2007, 05:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

yesterday I met a guy who had fusion five years ago or six can't remember duh...anyway he said the first year was hard. After that he said he has continued to do anything he wanted, putting his daughter on his shoulders work whatever..and has had no problems, no meds and is glad he did it.

I think just because we are able to do something, doesn't mean we should do it ya know. I think we have to focus on what we can do and be grateful...things could always be worse. Walking is a good thing, now not being able to walk again...that would be harder to deal with...jogging well not a big deal right?

Isn't that the whole thing in life anyway...focus and be grateful for what we have.

Closed Thread