It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
USTLA- how are you

I was thinking about you and just wondering how your recovery is going!! I hope all is well you sure are quiet these days!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User
Re: USTLA- how are you

Hi Yvette,

I haven't felt much like posting recently, this nerve pain from my butt down thru my leg has been keeping me quite occupied. The part of my lower leg that was numb before the discectomy is now quite literally on fire. I can't stand for anything to touch it, not even air. I finally got a call back from md office today, they have called in a script for neurotonin (?sp?). They said it sounds like I have some nerve swelling. I sure hope it helps. The surgical pain is all but gone, that I am very happy about, I just wish they would have let me know that this other thing could happen. I want to walk sooo bad but the only way I am semi comfy is laying down w/right leg uncovered and up on a large pillow. So I am feeling a little depressed at the moment. Sorry all, I haven't abandoned y'all, just haven't been up much the last few days. Yvette, I hope all goes exceedingly well with your procedure. Clover, I hope that you are feeling much better. Pepper, how goes it with your recovery? Dh is supposed to pick up script on his way home from work today so hopefully I will be feeling much better soon. Will let you all know.. Thanks for thinking about me, I'll be around soon, ttfn Usta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
(male)

picnica HB User

Ustla, I am going through that now. Have you tried the lidoderm patches also. Pain meds do nothing for it. Neurotin and the patches seem to be the only way to go. I am getting Nerve block epidural on Friday to help cope with the pain. The good news is that it is a good sign. You nerves are healing. The lidodrem patches work awsome, try it.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Picnica,
Where do you get these patches and do you need a script?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

yeah they are prescription, hopefully though the neurotin will helpyour nerve pain..mine burn and feel like needles dont' know if its the same but the neurotin did help that, and for some reason heat helps my feet.

Hopefully you'll be feeling better TODAY....good to hear from you and glad you've gotten out of the house, just don't over do it.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Usta
I am so sorry you are in so much pain. Nerve pain is always the worst. Did the Dr's say how long they thought this would go on? Hopefully the nerotin(sp) I could not take it as it gave me a severe headache. I was on antitriplyene(sp) when I had the nerve problem in my leg.

It is good that the surgical pain is better. I am still healing and have some pressure in my back when I am standing or walking. I also have that charlie horse pain in my hip in the mornings but the pain meds and flexerial help that.

Usta you are in my prayers and I sincerely hope you get some relief soon.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
(male)

picnica HB User

you do need a perscription. But solarcaine or any sunburn meds. will get you through. Until the perscription. I guess I should tell you after that goes away, I just had massive muscle spasms. They lasted 2 days. That was ruff. I am doing better today. I have taken only Tylenol and I have really no pain. My body is all in flux, I haven't had any pain in 8 years. I even slept through the night! My wife wouldn't wake me up to kiss the kids off to school. Well not to sound pessimistic, I will enjoy this but can't imagine this will be the norm.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Clover, it is still the same today, I started the gabapentin last night and took it three times today, hope it starts to work soon. Man this stuff knocks me out. After I take it if I sit still for a minute I'm gone. Picnica, what kind of surgery did you have and how long did the nerve pain last afterward? You guys just have to know too that everytime one of my dogs jump up on my lap they land on that leg owwwww. I' not doing so well with the not bending rule, it seems like I just drop everything these days, I hope I don't do any damage. The surgical site is beginnig to itch. I wonder how long you have to keep dressings on it. My md didn't say. He told me that I could go back to work in another week and a half, but today I got the disability papers that he filled out and it said that I can't go back until April 28th and that it would be part time. It also said that I would be going to physical therapy. Is that what usually happens? Remember, this is my first lower back incident so I'm green on the haps. I guess I may just have to wait until I see his pa on the 13th. ttfn, time for some sleep. Usta

Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]STOP THAT BENDING![/COLOR]! Sorry to be blunt but you are going to damage your surgerns work by bending and I think at this point that would be silly of you.

Sorry this is the Mom coming out in me!!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Usta, please, please get yourself a grabber tool to pick up those things you drop. Pepper is right, you'll ruin your surgery by bending. You don't want to go through this all over again!

PT varies a lot by doctor. I started at about 3 1/2 months, and mine taught me simple exercises that would get the nerves and muscles communicating properly again. No "workout" type exercises. There is definitely muscle strengthening going on, but nothing intense. You don't want to stress your back at all during your PT.

My dressings stayed on until the incision was healed over on the outside enough so that there wasn't a concern for it getting infected or popping open. I don't remember on what day post-op I was allowed to leave them off, but it was several weeks. They told me to let the steri strips fall off on their own, but after 2 months they were clearly well adhered and not going anywhere, so I peeled them all off.

You probably don't want to take any more meds, like Benadryl, for the itching. Some people get relief with an ice pack.

Hang in there! It gets easier!

Blessings,
Emily

Old 03-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Usta
I really do not want to sound redundent but get a grabber and do not bend. The grabber tool has been my life saver. I also am dropping everything.

My stitches are itching as well. They told me that I could leave my bandage off when I got home from the hospital. I just did this yesterday and plan to bandage before I get dressed and go for my walk.

Please just listen to your Dr and let him be your guide. Everyone heals differently and your Dr should be montoring your progress. Remember your surgery was only a week and a half ago.

I sure hope your pain subsides.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Usta - The girls are right, NO BENDING!!!!!! You are just going to hurt yourself all over again! get a grabber. You can get one at places like walgreens, CVS, ect... I will be 11 weeks post op on Saterday and I still use my grabber everday! Starting PT and then going back to work part time all sound about normal. Everybody does heal differently. We all have are good days and bad. I hope the new meds give you the pain relief you need. I hope you start feeling better soon. No more bending! Take care.

Rose

Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Ok, sorry for upsettin Y'all, I just really haven't felt bad in the lower back and bent mostly with my knees and at the hip but I will try to be goon until I can get dh to go get me a grabber. I'm so much more the clutz since the operation, must be the meds. Some of them are also affecting my eyes, a lot of print is very blurry and it is hard to read. Is that normal too? The gal. has taken the edge off off the burning but it is still quite there as well as the siatica pain in the butt, hip and leg. I guess it just goes with the territory. Thanks for the tips, I sure don't want to go thru this again. I've gained atleast 13 lbs since this began in January. I didn't need to gain this as I already have a weight problem. I am acutally considering the lap band procedure. My bmi is 38, thank goodness I am tall so it doesn't look that bad, but with the ostio necrosis I had in the hip, this disc herniation, high cholesterol and sleep apnea, maybe if I get the lap band I won't have anymore back problems. As so far this has been the worst pain ever. What do you guys think about it? I made some phone calls yesterday and set up a semimar appt. they said with all of the other problems that I've had and have that I would qualify. I have yoyo dieted my whole life or atleast since I was four. I don't ever want to have back trouble again. As we all know, IT SUCKS! Usta

Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sorry Ustolaughalot if we came on strong, we just care about you and want you to heal.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Usta
Sorry I just get a twinge in my back if I think of bending. Besides the grabbers are fun.

I don't know much about the lapband thing. I would think you would want to find out how the procedure may effect your other issues. They may all kinda be connected and you may do very well. Just research everything first.

Glad the new meds are helping the pain a little.

Closed Thread