It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User
5 weeks post-op: Is this it?

So, I had my final post-op x-ray and meeting with my neurosurgeon. (discectomy and fusion at T6-7) He said that I should be as active as possible and do anything at all with no limitations. I reminded him that I still have a lot of pain, that I take naps after big adventures like dr. app'ts, that I can't lift a sack of groceries, that bumps in the road feel like slams. He reaffirmed that I'm good to go.

Um... I don't feel at all good to go. I'm so worried that what I'm feeling will be my baseline - which is worse than before surgery. Up until now, I had higher spirits thinking it would take some time. I'm walking more each week and reducing pain meds quite nicely.

Now, I'm just a wreck that how I feel now is how I'll feel forever and this surgery was a really bad decision. I don't think my fiance was happy to hear my teary phone call while at work...

Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks.

Last edited by chatterboxsd; 03-06-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: 5 weeks post-op: Is this it?

Chatterbox, I am at a loss for words except to say that I am sorry you are having pain and I am sending cyber hugs your way.

From what you posted it sounds like your surgeon blew off your pain?? I don't think that was helpful at all. Did he tell you that you are going to have pain as you get back into the groove of things??

Last edited by ms_west; 03-06-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
(female)

painfulback HB User

chatterbox

iam sorry for your pain but just look ahead and there is a light at the end of the tunnel it gets worse before it gets better just keep your head up things will look up for you......keep strong we are all here for you

Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Keep in mind your doc obviously has NO bedside manner whatsoever! No surprising, as many neuros do not.

But not an excuse for pushing you off.

You are ONLY FIVE WEEKS post fusion. I can't believe that was your FINAL visit with him? Is he kidding? I know the T levels work differently, but still you are only five weeks out.

You have a great deal of healing to do yet. In fact, you are just really getting going on your bone healing.

I would not get the mindset that this is going to your pain level. Hopefully what you are experiencing is just healing pain.

My fusion was done last april on the lower lumbar and I am still on pain meds, as many folks still are.

If it were me in your shoes, I would call the Neuro back and either schedule a telephone consult with him/her or ask to make an appointment to go in and see the doc. Then to explain what's happening, how you are feeling, and that you feel abandoned by the doc at this point and what do you do? If this doc believes his work is done, then he needs to refer you onto someone, such as a pain management center and/or physical therapy group also to help you regain your strength, improve your posture, etc.. and also to control your pain level.

Hang in there. Force the doctor to communicate with you. Let us know how you are doing.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

Thanks for the support. It's funny that I feel I can share these events with you all because you've been there in your own ways. Whereas, my really kind friends just don't always understand how a couple sentences from a doctor can send me into a tailspin.

So, good advice JustOneofUs. I will call tomorrow and if I've "graduated" from him, I'll ask for a referral to the pain clinic.

Details to come...

Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I have heard alot of people say that six weeks was a huge turn around...thats crap that he treated you that way. You will get better and better and stronger and stronger.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I agree with justonofus. You are just getting going with the healing. Did you see the x-ray. Did he say if the fusion was fusing? It takes a long time for the bones to fuse together from what I understand.

I am sending hugs your way and hope you get this worked out. Keep us posted.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Hang in there!

remember it takes 6 months for fusion...you are at what, 5-6 weekd/ You have a road ahead of you...don't have such a glum view. You will get better and the pain will also.

The thing about pain is that it goes away slowly and sudden you look at the clock one day and go...gosh, it's be 6-7 hours since I took pain meds!

Call your dr. like suggested. know that we are here cheering you on, and we have been there. In fact, I told my surgeon that his bedside manner sucked!LOL

Jill[/COLOR]

Closed Thread