It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
(female)

OnHold HB User
MRI Tech: "Are you SURE you haven't had surgery or cancer?"

At the conclusion of my MRI today, the technician came in, hesitated a little, and said those words to me. Should I be concerned?!

I told her the only thing close to surgery was the ESI I had 4 weeks ago that left me in a bunch of pain for 15 days. She asked a few questions about that, and then decided to send me back into the MRI for one more scan to look more closely for evidence of infection as a result of the ESI. It was almost like she was searching for something.

After that scan I tried to pump her for info, and naturally she wouldn't share a thing - saying she isn't the one to actually "read" the MRI scans - and then was quick to tell me that my doctor will have my results in 24 hours and I should call him tomorrow.

My last MRI was August 2006 with a 10 mm disc herniation. I wonder what her question means?!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: MRI Tech: "Are you SURE you haven't had surgery or cancer?"

First off, I am not sure that her comments were at all appropriate, without at least providing you with some logical reason to the question in the first place. That is a weird thing to say to you, and I do not blame you at all for being perplexed by that.

Didn't you get a copy of your films on the spot? I have never had an MRI where my films were not immediately given to me. Now the report is different, that can take several days to be done, as the MRI does need the radiologist to review.

I think you should not overthink the comment and the technician could be extremely green for all we know. And to think too much on this will not help the results come any faster and will only get you worked up about something that you have no idea of at this point in time. I would add, that I would not wait until they call you, but rather continue to call them. They have no idea what the tech said to you and that you are now in "alert/concern" mode. And I would ask for a copy of the report for your records. You should ask for a copy of the report. As a matter of fact, you can get a copy of the films and that report directly from the MRI center.

Please keep us informed. I am extremely interested in hearing more from you. Hang in there.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I had an experience re: different body anatomy and the tech told me that they saw nothing on the film. I was so relieved and walked into my general surgeon's office relieved and said, isn't it great that my films were normal. The surgeon looked at me like I was crazy and said what ????? You have a huge tumor....thankfully things turned out be well in the end.

I just would not put to much weight in what this tech said and follow up with your doctor.

I will be lifting you up in prayer and sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear the results. God Bless.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

OnHold HB User

Many thanks to both of you. Justoneofus, they didn't give me the films and I thought they needed the films to read them, but I guess it makes sense that it's on computer or something. That motivates me to stop by tomorrow and ask for the films and the report. I have to remember that the reports about me are MY business - I let them intimidate me sometimes.

My doctor won't see me until Tuesday, and I know I can't wait that long, so hopefully tomorrow I can get a copy of everything. I'll let you know. Thanks for your encouragement.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I've had countless ultrasounds, MRI's, x-rays etc. A few times I get info from the techs. If I tell them what I have they will talk about it. I would say "is the cysts still there?". Then they talk about it. After my neck MRI the tech asked me if I was in a bad accident. I told him no that I was just falling apart. After his question I figured the results were not good. Good luck with everything.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
(female)

OnHold HB User

WHEW!! I got the report today. They gave me a hard time about getting the films, but I told them I wanted them Monday even if they think my doctor won't want to see them. I want to see them! So for now I only have the report.

The report is quite long, and I don't understand much of it, so I look forward to the doctor explaining it to me. But I don't see anything that says anything like "unexplained mass", so I am very relieved!

Does anyone understand how they measure these herniations? It appears to me that it is bigger now than it was:

8/2/2006 - 10 mm wide, 6 mm thick
3/6/2007 - AP thickness is about 5 to 6 mm, transverse 14 mm, cephalocaudal extent 9 to 10 mm

Thanks for your concern and any advice you can give.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I looked at my old MRI's. They never gave measurements. It just said disc herniation L5, S1. Alot of times the reports are scary when you read them. I always get nervous. Then the doctor reads it and makes it sound like no problem. Probably a reason they don't want us to get copies of the reports. I have copies of every test I ever got. My doctor said she was impressed that I had good records.

Closed Thread