It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
(male)

RM8251 HB User
Surgery on March 14th, I'm nervous as hell !

Hi Everyone,
Found this site yesterday and I'm really happy i found it. All my fears are being
put to rest. I know it's going to be a tough road ahead I just hope I have what it takes.
I'm having a L5-S1 Anterior/posteriior fusion L5 laminectomy. In December I hurt my back washing a car. The pain was like something I have never heard of before.It was crazy, I refused to go to the surgeon took meds instead. About a month ago I hurt it again I get a Mri and I have no disk at L5 It's a complete vaccum.Over the years it just gounded away, imagine that.

Basically I'm really nervous about the whole thing .I don't want to do this but I'm so tired of the pain I feel there's no where else I can turn. This seems to be my only option. All I can do is hope for the best.

Anyway its nice to have a place like this to kick the ball around.
I'll keep you posted on my progress my post may help someone, like some of the other posts have help me. It's funny how shared experince makes you feel better , it takes away the unknown. Anyway glad I'm here Talk to you later.

Last edited by RM8251; 03-07-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Surgery on March 14th, I'm nervous as hell !

[COLOR="Navy"]RM,

Welcome to the board. You will find a wealth of information here. We are a caring, pained group here and you will find support and laughter. We don't let anyone feel too bad for too long!

You will find alot of information on the stickies at the top of the board.

wecome....[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
(female)

Jungleland HB User

Many prayers and while you wait for your big day to arrive. At least you have time to get prepared. Ask the NS what sort of things you will need at discharge so that you can possibly get them in your home prior to surgery. Mine was an emergency surgery, so no prep time and poor hubby was left to try to do it all and work a 50 hour work week!

It is so totally normal to be nervous prior to ANY surgery, especially back surgery. Keep reading and posting, we will be here to "hold your hand" and help you through the hard times.

Hugs,
Vickie
Diskectomy in 1994 L4-5
Re-do emergency L4-5 diskectomy on 2/11/07

Old 03-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
(male)

crookedback HB User

Welcome RM... plus the chick in here are real hot & super easy to catch cuz they can't really run very fast! (kidden...)

Keep us posted & take care... Dave!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Good luck! We will be praying for you.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Welcome. You have come to the right place. I was very nervous and scared about my surgery. I found that by talking to other people whom have been thru this helps alot.

Please come visit us often and post as soon as you can to update us on your surgery.

you will be in my thoughts and prayers

Good luck

Old 03-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Welcome to the boards and you indeed came to the right place. You are in my prayers as you go to surgery and for a good recovery. Take care and keep us posted when you feel up to it.
Rachel

Old 03-08-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Hi and welcome to our spiney home!!! If you haven't yet I would refer you to look at diet dr peppers thread post fusion...there are two different ones, and clover's thread, and roy47. Also the tips of making things easier around the house and ofcourse, the sticky at the top.

Together with everyone here..I went from being scared and uninformed..the surgeons leave out alot...and feeling negative...isolated and no one really understanding to the opposite.

I have a home of friends here...my buddys. I feel informed, prepared and optimistic...and not alone at all anymore as I have a whole bunch of cyber buddys who know exactly what i am going through...all from the stupid crap friends and family say...people not understanding...to the pain...the isolation..the loss of our jobs...etc etc etc. facing surgery.

My surgery is tomorrow, and I am feeling only optimistic..and if you get to read those other long posts you'll know what i mean, by ,"see ya on the beach"

Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi RM - Welcome to the board! You are right it is going to be a tough road for a little bit. but it does it better and the nice thing is you don't have to do it alone! Their are alot of people here who know what you are feeling and going through. We are all here to a hold hand!!! Keep posting!!!

Healing well from a L4 - S1 TLIF 12/12/06

Rose

Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

I as well welcome you to the board...

The people here are the best of the best. We share our experiences as our way of helping each other. I like you stumbled across this board; it is a gift for all that do.

I had the same exact surgery that it sounds that you are going to be having. I was very much at peace and could not wait. I was so tired of the long road that WE here all have been on.

Im curious is a Spine Specalist doing your surgery? Or is a nuero-ologist?
Not that it matters, I am just curious. It was a Spine Specalist that finally was the one that knew what to do when he saw me and reviewed all of the tests that I under went...

Things will be fine. Try to relax.

Roy47

Old 03-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
(male)

RM8251 HB User

Hi Everyone,

I want to thank all of you for your support and your prayers. I feel the luv !

Yvette777 my prayers are with you and I know everything will be fine. Good luck tomorrow !

I read a number of the threads that were mentioned and they have been very enlightening and comforting.

With that being said I got to tell everyone right now I’m trying to find ways to back out of this operation. I have a number of concerns.

My first and foremost concern is the doctors in Las Vegas, NV aren’t the best in the world. I still think everything is better in New York.

My primary has a great background .
James S. Forage,
B.A., B.S., University of Arizona, 1992 – Summa *** Laude with Honors
Doctorate of Medicine, Washington University, St. Louis, 1996
Surgical Internship, UCLA Medical Center, 1996 – 1997
Neurosurgical Resident, UCLA Medical Center, 1996 – 2002
Spine Surgery Fellowship, Barrow Neurological Institute, 2002 – 2003
Board Certified in Neurological Surgery

Dr. Forage has extensive surgical expertise in the treatment of degenerative and traumatic disorders of the cervical, thoracic, lumbar and sacral spine; as well as expertise in treating disorders and diseases of the brain and peripheral nervous system. Dr. Forage received his residency training at UCLA Medical Center and served as a Neurosurgical and Spine Fellow at world-renowned Barrows Neurological Institute. Prior to joining WRCBSS, Dr. Forage was the head of spine surgery at Loma Linda University, CA.

Problem is I haven’t been able to get a good second opinion. What I mean is a second doctor with as good a resume. I went to a doctor for a second opinion who’s office was like a meat market. There was 40 people standing around they all looked like they needed surgery . I waited two and a half hours to be seen. By then I didn’t trust the doctor or his opinion. I figure his office was an indication of his work.

I know I’m searching for straws. I’m worried about money , rehab time, pain, the future !

What’s the best pain med right after surgery ? Is this procedure worth it ? Can I wait.. do I have time ? I’m I to old at 55 to have this surgery ? Will my bones heal ?

Here is my MRI results:
Severe foraminal stenosis at L5-S1. There is complete collapse of the disk at L5-S1 with Modic changes in the vertbral body. There is a small left L3-l4 disc protrusion extra foraminally.
Is this serious can I wait ? Let me answer that yes its serious and it can't wait...right?
My inner battle goes on.

I apologize for throwing all this doubt out here. I guess I just need to talk it out.
I’m really not feeling good about this.

My prayers to all of you.

Richard

Last edited by RM8251; 03-08-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
(female)

isillyme HB User

Welcome to the board, through out the years I have learned a great deal, I often don't post alot however, I can understand being nervous about the surgery. The most important question is do you trust the doctor doing the surgery. Can you call the office and speak with the nurse or to him/her personally to address your concerns?
Best advice I can give to you is getting things set up for when you come home after having surgery. Do you have any help lined up as far as cleaning cooking etc... If not you might want to freeze some easy dinners that you can pop into the microwave for the first 2 to 3 weeks. My ortho had me do alot of walking every 3 hours, of course where I use to lived in NY snow was a problem, but I did walk as much as I could. Ask your friends and family for help, that was a really hard thing for me to do. However now that I think about it, that was wonderful.
Second rest as much as possible, and when you feeling up to doing things don't push yourself thinking that you have to finish. Take breaks if necessary.
Get movies, magazines, bring the phone closer to you etc.. and I wish you a speedy recovery

Old 03-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
(male)

crookedback HB User

Hey RM... ur Doc sounds kick *ss!

What r ur current symptoms? Do u have a date yet?

I too am faced w/the decision to wait or have surgery... I have had 3 herniations (2 @ S1-L5 & 1 @ L5-L4 w/L4-L3 on it's way) over the last 20 odd yrs (I'm 48 now) & I just saw a neuro surgeon who beleives I will need a fusion with spacers & BMP at S1-L5 & possibly just a disectomy at L5-L4.

I'm currently in the process of getting a 2nd opinion & trying to get a lil more active as the 1st surgeon would like to see if my back can take it (ugh!).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to push forward as I have constant numbness, pressure & pain in my feet which has not subsided since my last herniation in Feb '06.

I would look at it this way... is your condition going to improve? Could it get worse? If the answers are No & Yes & it was me I can't really see a reason to wait... hang in there & keep talkin... it can really help!.. take care... Dave!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
(male)

RM8251 HB User

Hi isillyme,
Yea , I'm doing a lot of planning I have a hospital bed coming in so the bed will be higher . I got walkers and grabbers and raised toliet seats , shower seats the works. Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm ready physically just not there mentally.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
(male)

RM8251 HB User

Hey crookedback,

He's giving me a PEEK Cage, BMP,screws ,rods all the metal he can find.

I have shooting pain ,burning,hot razor blades, extremely hypersensitive inside left thigh.Numbness on the outside of thigh, numb kneecap, The pain sometimes shoots down my calf.
I have been on percocet since December, but it doesn't help address all the different sensation That my leg is going through. I've been in the bed for over a month any kind of stree on my leg and it goes haywire.

Last edited by RM8251; 03-08-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Closed Thread