It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
(male)

crookedback HB User
Self Fusion Issue

Hey all... so my neuro surgeon said that there's a chance that I may fuse myself which I do know is true from the boards... so here's my question... let's say I self fuse at S1-L5 (I'm almost bone to bone now).

Wouldn't my leg numbness/minor pain remain since the nerve would be permanently compressed?

Any thoughts would be great... Dave!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
(female)

cantell HB User
Re: Self Fusion Issue

I am very interested in your post because of the self fusion issue..I had a doc tell me my back had healed itself er (fused) I was wondering the same thing about the pain cause somebody didnt tell my back it has healed itself, lol

sorry I know that didnt help you one bit..so here's to hoping somebody will come along and answer your question..lot of good folks on this board..good luck and hoping you many pain free days to come

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
(female)

cythren HB User

I've been wondering the same thing. Would love to hear more abut this.

I've read that the final stage in the DDD process is for the vertebrae to fuse naturally, restabilizing the spine. I assume this only works when there is no problem with slippage of the vertebra. I too wonder: if the vertebrae fuse with no disc space between, doesn't that mean the nerve roots will be compressed?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

If natural fusion occurs you are not getting the pain of the bones rubbing together and the nerve becomes more encapsulated then crushed in the case of a herniated disc or pinched nerve. The body has a mariculous way of healing itself at times and yes the pain can go away. I self fused at l2/l3.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

After a fusion, I am taking calcium with vitamin D per surgeons instructions. Apparently calcium needs to be taken with vitamain D for absorption purposes.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I was told I had DDD and when I had my surgery the Dr said the disc actually looked better than expected.

Does X-rays actually show a self fusion or would an mri be better to see this. I also read an interesting article on self fusing and the nerves taking care of themselves. I understand this is a long process the article suggested over a year.

Very interesting topic. I can not find alot on it as far as helping the pain.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
(female)

cythren HB User

Surgery for back problems happens ten times more often in the US than in Europe. I saw some info on a UK website about the natural progression of DDD. It didn't mention surgery except for very rare exceptionally bad cases. Gotta "run" (hobble) now, will post more later on this...

Old 03-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

[QUOTE=cythren;2843790]Surgery for back problems happens ten times more often in the US than in Europe. I saw some info on a UK website about the natural progression of DDD. It didn't mention surgery except for very rare exceptionally bad cases. Gotta "run" (hobble) now, will post more later on this...[/QUOTE]

That is interesting. I wonder why?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

My understanding is when the spine self fuses.. and there is nerve compression, it too can heal itself as well, by compensating for the change and it takes a long time for the nerves to do their magic and it does not always happen. Each person is different of course.

My thoughts on more surgeries being done in the US than in UK/Europe in my opinion is one because of social medicine versus private medicine and there is much more availability here for surgeries then there are there. And.. maybe we are a bit more gungho to fix things too maybe? probably.

5 back surgeons for me now and probably more to come.. and so far none of these surgeons will do surgery for just having DDD unless there is serious complications. (I think maybe there is some difference in distinction of what is considered "serious complications" in US vs UK perhaps? Dunno. Just a thought.)

My 2 cents/pence worth.. hehehe. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

My spine attempted to fuse itself...sacrialazation or something like that.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

On the topic of US vs UK rate of surgery the surgical rate in Canada is very much lower. There are a lot of factors. Patients want quick fixes, Medicine for profit, greater ratio of surgeons. Remember that all surgeries deemed necessary are fully funded in Canada there are no patients left behind because they don't have the monetary resources. In spite of that surgeons are more conservative and their incomes are capped. There are no financial rewards in pumping up the numbers.

On the topic of self fusion. If you note the number of elderly with very stiff spines self fusion is one of the contributing factors. They cannot turn their necks around when they are backing up the car and they move slowly getting up and down from their chairs. You lose mobility but you have less pain.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
(female)

cythren HB User

Pooby,

Interesting info on the rate of surgery in Canada. I only wish we had a single payer insurance system here (I'm one of the 47 million uninsured). Got insurance now, but it won't cover anything related to my back problem. Yes, they can do that - it's perfectly legal, though inhumane.

- Cythren

Old 03-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
(male)

crookedback HB User

Good info... thanks all... I'll definitely ask the doc in April & let ya'll know what his thoughts are... take care... Dave!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
(female)

cantell HB User

[SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Hello all, once again I tried to find more detailed information on this back fusion itself and yet again could not find it..

does anyone have a medical name for it? maybe a site with pictures of what it would look like ?

[/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Last edited by moderator2; 03-08-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information"

Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

Another thing interesting about Europe is they seem way ahead of the US as far as disc replacement is concerned, especially Germany. Maybe the FDA is slowing things down for us in the US though.

Closed Thread