It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

mlh11350 HB User
Question burning pain after surgery

I had a Foraminotomy/ Laminectomy 3/3/07.
Right now I have burning pain around surgical site.
Is that natural?
Also another part of foot burning also. Although the other places aren't hurting as they were before. Is that normal?
I guess I am afraid of failure.
I would love to have a pain free day.
Thanks,

--------------------
Mary

Hurt back Mid May. Got better. Then May 29 hurt back again terrible terrible pain.
L5S1 ruptures.
PT, gabapentin 1200 mg a day, motrin, pain medicine as needed.
July had Microdiscetomy. Helped but have problems with Sciatica.
Left side left leg, butt and foot Pain and numbness.
Numbness in foot and leg worse with walking.
3 Epidural.#2 numbness gone for 3 days.
Another MRI shows bulge at L4.
#2 Nerve conduction test still shows problems at S1. Spinal Stenosis.
Foraminotomy/ Laminectomy.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: burning pain after surgery

Hi there. You just had major back surgery. I think your pain you are experiencing sounds extremely normal, and I would respect and expect this to occur.

It's going to be weeks before you feel like you are onto that "pain free" road. I hope this solves your issues and that you have no more.

It's is entirely possible that you may not be pain free even after the healing is done. What did you doctor say to you regarding this?

Please don't have too high expectations right now. Even with the high tech surgeries out there.. it's still back surgery and you have to allow yourself proper healing pain/time/etc. In the coming weeks you will begin to notice improvements and hopefully less pain as the days go by.

Between 6-12 weeks.. you should begin to see things dramatically improve and then more and more.

Hang in there. Be kind to yourself.. rest and heal.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

MLH, what justone told you is obvioulsly true as I just had discectomy on feb 26th. Except for surgical pain the first few days I was feeling pretty good. Then the siatica pain blew in with tremendous force, pain, burning and still some numbness. MD said it was probably due to nerve swelling and put me on gabapentin. Another poster on the site said that it also means that the nerves are beginning to heal. After all they were compressed for a while and it will take a while for them to normalize again. I hope that it is the case for both of us as I to would love to have some pain free days soon also. Good luck and keep us posted. Usta

Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am 5 weeks out today from a fusion and there are definitely many up and down days in regard to pain and is a normal part of healing. Some days I just want to boo-hoo and then the next day I am ready to dance (well almost).

Take care and remember the pain may get worse before it gets better.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
(female)

mlh11350 HB User

Thanks, for the encouragement. I guess I am so afraid that this surgery hasn't helped. Not giving myself time that it will take for everything to heal.
It would be better if we knew a little what to expect. My Dr. not very good on telling you what to expect what will happen after surgery.
May God Bless.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]mlh,

LOL....honey they are surgeons....talking is not their speciality. I actually told my surgeon that his bedside manner sucked. If only he wasn't such a great surgeon. That's why I rely on his PA that did the surgery, she will give me the straight answers and is my advocate.

That being said. Give yourself time to heal. You look better on the outside than you do on the inside. As nerves settle down from being moved during surgery, being compressed, push, prodded.....how would you feel, well, actually you know how you would feel...give everybody inside a chance to settle down and heal. It is MAJOR surgery. Another thing..they use a numbing agent inside that wears off in about 2 weeks. You are right about there..so.

REst, enjoy recovery, take your meds as prescribed and don't stress yourself out too much...save some for later! You are early into your healing....

hugs to you....
Jill[/COLOR]

Closed Thread