It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
(male)

v8crazy HB User
Bummed about doc visit

I had a much anticipated doctor visit today and when I left there I wasn't happy with the new doc. I had a visit a few weeks ago at the Doleys clinic in Birmingham Al. about getting a spinal cord stimulator. This doc there handles the rehab part of the stimulator and another doc does the surgery. At the doleys Clinic the stim trial last up to two weeks inpatientstay. They are supposed to work with you on how it operates andhow to live with it and all kinds of things like that. Today I went to see the surgeon. I waited a long time in the waiting room and then waited almost three hours once I was taking to the back. When he came in he said he was sorry for the wait and said he had two spinal stim consults before me and didnt like to rush. I felt releived at that time. Now this is the part that bugged me. His talked on his cell phone for half the time he was in there. The first call was aboud ordering a new watch then his wife called about some kind of bs. I wanted him to explain to me all about the operation and where he will place the generator thingy, and how long I will be off work, you know just the normal things we as patients really need to know. he never answered my questions but he did tell me I had a 60% chance of great pain relief. At least he seemed honest about that part. So after driving almost 300 miles and waiting close to four hours and his excuse being he spent a lot of time with paitients he zoomed out of there after TEN minutes leaving me in the middle of a question. I feel let dowm from my expections I had going in. Ok I am done venting now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Bummed about doc visit

Hmmmm..........I think I would move on to another doc. This doc obviously has no bedside manner in my opinion. Can you tell that I don't put up with much?

Old 03-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Is this someone you feel comfortable working on you? If not, now's the time to find a different doctor. Once you go forward with it, you probably won't find someone to switch to if you're not happy with his after-care.

Yes, that's very frustrating. You'd think that if his reason for your long wait was that he was giving info to others about the same thing, that you'd get the same attention. I wonder who he was talking to on his cell phone during those other appts! I've never had a doctor take or make a personal call during time with a patient. Very misplaced priorities! Personally, I'd be looking for another doc.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 03-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Nicely said BlueAtlas!!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I have to agree with Emily. Any time I have been in the hospital or Drs office they will turn off the tv or any other distraction so why should they answer their phone or make a personal call. I think a new Dr should be in order.

Good luck my thoughts are with you

Old 03-09-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]
I don't know your doctor , have you seen him before this ? Ya know we all have bad day's and do stuff we regret ? Maybe he had so many thing's on his mind ,or to many Honey do's to do ?

I like my Surgeon , but I had to grab him and make him explain thing's to me..I think he got the idea because hesat down for about 5 minutes and explained it all to me even when his office was over loaded with patients. They make mistakes to , were all human..But if this was your first visit ,he didn't leave much of an impression on you did he? If so I would look elsewhere for a Dr. [/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Shawley~
I have never ever had a doc take a call unless it was an emergency. EVER. If my doc gets a call, he will look at it [maybe] and then let his voice mail get it or explain that its the ER. and Ive been with my guy over a year, and hes only one time had to ask me to hold on while he accepted a call. NEVER would I put up with that crap...But thats just me. I dont put up with that stuff. Seems to me, he probably looks in the mirror 50 times a day or has a wife who has him by the ****. Ugh~
I know it sucks to find another doc, but hes showing you the same care he will give you if you decide to stay with him. You will come LAST~
Hope this helps~
xoxoxoxooxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 03-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

I think we all concur that the doctor's distractions were less than desirable on many counts. I believe his actions were rude, disrespectful to any patient, and completely unprofessional. I realize docs are human, but when you are in "with" a patient, you are "with" the patient. Unless it's an emergency or urgent call, the call can wait and be tended to "inbetween seeing patients", NOT during.

And also to be so distracted that you were not properly seen to to AT ALL.. I personally would never go back. And I might even take it one step further and call and say dont even try and bill my insurance for that visit, as it was not a visit but more of a "drive by" then a visit, and ask if he got his "honey do list" completed. hahaha. Sorry, I couldnt resist that one.

All kidding aside, if it were me I would truly would not go back there again.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I would add no matter how go his credientials are I would not go back.

Closed Thread