It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Fusion started but in a lot of pain

Saw the surgeonon 3/5/07. He said the x-rays look excellent. The fusion is beginning. Surgery was 9/12/06. He said it takes 6-9 months for one level fusion to start. He said I had two levels done so it will take longer. He said being overweight makes the healing take longer. I've been in the worst pain ever. Today my hip and back are killing me. I've been popping Percocet all day and it has not even taken the edge off. Maybe going off the Gabapentin is making me feel the pain worse. Have to wait for the new meds to kick in. My insurance co denied anymore physical therapy. I don't know how they can make decisions for us. The therapist reported how much pain I was in etc. The surgeon says everything is on track. I'm glad it looks good but wish the pain was gone. The surgeon said if I still have pain by July he will send me for tests. I didn't ask what kind of tests.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
(female)

stksma HB User
Re: Fusion started but in a lot of pain

I to had surgery on the low back area, L4,L5,S1,S2, I had my surgery in Aug. 06, I am still having a lot of problems, numbness, pain, Still no bending, no lifting, Dr. said I can not return to work, I am disabled according to him. I am having problems with the nerve in my right leg to my great toe, and when I stand or walk too long, my left leg gets numb in the thigh area, Maybe we should start a support group for people with this problem, Failed back surgeries.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Have you been able to walk alot, I have read that helps the pain and ofcourse strenghtens the bone...I was just wondering since surgery was a little while ago..how much walking you get in.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Hessie - I am glad that your x rays look good and fusion is starting that is great news! I am just sorry that you are having that much pain. I don't understand why insurance company's can deny more physical therapy! Really makes me mad. Just keep doing your PT exercise's at home like your therapist showed you. Why did you go off the Gabapentin? I have had on and off hip pain with my back pain so I understand how painful that is to deal with. Well honey hang in there! I hope things get better soon for you.

Healing well from a L4 - S1 TLIF 12/12/06

Rose

Last edited by xzx; 03-08-2007 at 07:14 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hessie, I'm sorry you're still in such pain. I'm still in pain, too, only two weeks behind you in surgery. But I'm able to keep it quite manageable with Vicodin. I know you've had a myriad of other problems, too, which makes you whole care more complicated. Have you used up your PT allotment? Will your doctor go to bat for you? He can do a peer review if he disagrees with what the insurance company thinks is best for you. You don't have to just accept what the insurance company says. There are ways to get them to cover things, but they won't tell you that you can challenge them. They want you to just accept their decision as final and give up. If your doctor will take the time to help you, they might allow more PT sessions for you.

You're still healing, though, from this surgery. It can take a year or longer to fully recover from a fusion. Don't lose hope. You will probably see continued improvement, but keep up your exercises at home. Make them an absolute priority! Some days I just get tired of it and put it off, then at 9 or 10 at night I'm making sure I get my exercises done before I let myself go to bed.

But at any rate, a big congratulations that you're growing bone! That's wonderful news and reason to celebrate! Yaaaaa-hoooooo!

Blessings,
Emily

Old 03-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone. Jen, I went off the Gabapentin because my entire body was hurting. It was causing swelling in my joints. Plus it made me gain weight. There is no limit on physical therapy with my insurance. I get as many as the insurance feels is medically necessary. I know the therapist filled out paperwork where she noted my pain as "6" out of "10". She put that I can't stand, sit or walk longer then 5 minutes without pain. I'll appeal. I'm still waiting for the therapist to tell me exactly why it was denied. I've been doing the stretching exercises. I will start walking when the weather warms up. I applied for permanent disability so we will see. I have other medical problems too.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:17 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"]

Hi Hessie,
Good thing is you have fusion started ,at my one level fusion it took like a year and a half for me and I been reading if your not fused in a year it most likely won't ? I think every doctor's have there own opinion's on that subject.

The pain in the hip's feet leg's seem to be a popular thing..I have that pain to,,at first they told me it was my nerve's waking..Yea right ! Now it's permanent damage ..Maybe your developing scar tissue or somthing ?

I do hope you feel better soon..I tried Gabapentin but I found Lyrica works best for me. I'm on 75mg 3 times a day now .[/SIZE]

Old 03-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Hessie - I understand that. I had alot of swelling and pain when I was on Lyrica. I really hope you get back into what you need to help you feel better. Spring will be here soon! So walking will be nice! I just hope you find a little relief hessie, you deserve it!

Rose

Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Rose. I just found out today I only have one more disability check coming. It's scary. I applied this week for permanent disability. I have other medical problems too. I don't know what to do. I'm in too much pain to go back to work. I will if I have to. I hope the permanent disability comes through. I'm also applying for medical pension retirement at work. I'm only 42 but have been there 22 years. It all depends if the doctors will sign the paperwork. They don't prepare you for the pain or the financial burden it puts on you. Luckily my huband can take a loan against his pension and pay it back at 4 percent. If not for that I don't know what we would do. I would have to go back to work. None of it is easy. On top of all that is the pain. Thanks for listening to me vent. Hope you are feeling good.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hessie - I just want to say that I am sorry that you are going thru all this back pain and having to dealing with the disability/finanical hardships as well. Thank goodness that you have your hubby's pension to borrow from although I am sure this is something neither one of you want to do. I will lift you up in prayer.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-09-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Closed Thread