It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
(male)

Scooterlvtt HB User
Still in pain after epi / cortisone injections

I had my second set of injections on 3/6.....which was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. While the Dr was injecting the right side, it hurt so bad that I lifted my leg off the table. When the Dr went to the right side a nurse held my leg down.

I got home and felt a burning all over my lower body, especially in my legs. I struggled to sleep all night moving between bed and chair. When it came time to go to work, I took a lortab 10 and went out the door, the 1st time in over 3 weeks. I was able to work 2/3's of the day until the pain got so bad I could not sit or stand.

I left work and went to my Dr office to see about getting a refill on my percoset however I can't because it is a c2 narcotic and can't get a refill till my next appt. I managed to move it from 3/20 to 3/12....which is good. One thing that happened @ work that was interesting is that I shook a persons hand and shortly afterward my arm, shoulder and right side of face went numb. Interesting.

It is know 3:30am on Thursday 3/8 writing this thread and in pain. I will take a couple of lortab and see what happens. Is it worth going through the pain experience for a 3rd set of injections? Where do I go if they do not work?

Old 03-08-2007, 04:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Still in pain after epi / cortisone injections

Remember each person and each case is different.....

I think that is a decision you need to discuss with your doctor. My first epi hurt but I survived. The second one, about killed me. It was so bad that I called my docs office and they had me come in the same day. I told my doc that I could not go thru a 3rd one and why. He agreed wholeheartedly and then we scheduled my laminectomy.

When I began having problems after my laminectomy, they wanted me to have another epi and I took one look at my doctor and said, Sorry I really don't want one after my last. He looked at me and said, well I really think we need to go this route and then he said, no lets do a selective nerve root block instead. You will be sedated and this will help us determine for sure which lumbar level you are having problems with. I went thru the procedure and I felt relief for maybe 8 hours then the pain came back worse than before the procedure. We then moved ahead with the fusion which has so far been a good decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

alice77 HB User
Re: Still in pain after epi / cortisone injections

Hi Scoot,

Hope you're feeling a little better - I'm impressed you went to work - I went out of the house two days after my first injection (to the docs for a sick leave extension) and was about crying from sitting in the chair in the waiting room for 20mins..it took a week more before I went back to work and then it was fine (lets say tolerable) for a few days but by the weekend was worse than ever...I've been working on and off since. Next injection monday and have pre-warned work that I won't be in until the wed or thurs. Luckily they're fine with me working from home a bit for now.

Anyhow, hope you're getting some relief from the injection now. How did you get on with the first injection? It can take a few days to a week to work anyway, but then can apparently last for a few months. I was told before my first that usually if there was nothing after the secoind they won't bother with a third...not sure yet if I'm looking at oral steroids or surgery next (for foraminal stenosis).

Keep us updated,
Alice

Closed Thread