It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
Will the new levels need fusion?

[COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]HI Everyone,
Just wondering how many out there have needed a fusion for new levels that have gone bad after thier first fusion. My new PM confirmed that I have one possibly two levels above the ones I have already had a fusion on (L4-S1). He has not mentioned fusion, I'm just lookin for some experienced opinions. I had an MRI done so I will know much more in a few weeks. We are tackeling the new source of pain with water PT and weight stregthening PT. I"ll be like Arnold S., hehe.

I know that they can't stop the discs from going bad, just perhaps delay it a bit. So one day I guess this will be a question that I will face. I'm glad this new guy is just as honest as my spine surgeon, he said I will never be pain free with the arthritis in my back as well as everything else the best I can hope for is better pain control and a stronger core muscle area. The more my muscles support my spine the longer it will take for those discs to get really bad. Is that true?

Hope everyone has a pain free day!

God Bless

Carol[/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Will the new levels need fusion?

[COLOR="Navy"]Carol,

I do know that strong core muscles will help with the pain control and also with support for your back. My therapist is working on core strengthening with me EVERY visit.

I loved my water therapy. I had two months of it and it was great! But with my insurance I can't do both water and land therapy. Really sucks, huh?

Keep pluggin away!

Jill[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I actually had s1/s2 fused at 17. At 42, I had L5/s1 fused. My surgeon has warned me to expect 2 to 3 more surgeries in my lifetime due to the amount of arthritis present. He has said my bones looks like a 80 year old and I am 42!! He has also made me no promises that I will ever be out of pain 100%.

I love his honesty although I must tell you that I am not happy about it.

Once this hurdle is jumped, I am going to begin a strengthing program and lose this weight. I am even thinking about beginning that weight loss thing now.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
(female)

hugg724 HB User

I think it depends on the reason for the original fusion. I have had fusion in my back (2 discs) and neck (3 discs). The fusion in my back was Feb 2006 and my neck was October 2006.

I already have a another ruptured disc in my neck above the fusion and another in my back above the fusion. The discs above and below the fused discs will be doing the extra work of those fused. Depending on what the condition of those discs are prior to the surgery will depend on the outcome after the surgery. I am not having another surgery any time soon although my NS said be prepared. My concern is if I have those discs worked on, I will be back in worse shape in another year.

I am on the "watch list" for any further problems from these two discs. My spine is very unstable and my biggest fear is that the discs are having the domino effect, fix one, the next falls etc.

On a positive note, I worked with a girl who had 2 discs in her back fused and 2 in her neck fused. She said it was the best thing she ever did and she is very active without any additional problems. My best friend watched her husband go through serious neck issues with surgery in addition to back surgery. He moved on to become a policeman. He went through the academy and everything. He works out now and has had no further problems. So it does help others

Do as much strengthening as you can but don't push yourself. If it hurts, STOP and slowly work into the next level. I did 2 1/2 months of PT on my back. Hang in there with positive thoughts!!!

Take care!

Jami

Old 03-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;2845354]I actually had s1/s2 fused at 17. At 42, I had L5/s1 fused. My surgeon has warned me to expect 2 to 3 more surgeries in my lifetime due to the amount of arthritis present. He has said my bones looks like a 80 year old and I am 42!! He has also made me no promises that I will ever be out of pain 100%.

I love his honesty although I must tell you that I am not happy about it.

Once this hurdle is jumped, I am going to begin a strengthing program and lose this weight. I am even thinking about beginning that weight loss thing now.[/QUOTE]

Pepper: Did your dr say what he meant by your bones looking like an 80 yr old? Does he think you have osteoporosis, or is it possible that you've already been tested for it (dexa) and you know you have it? I also have osteoarthritis, but the comment about the old bones is usually referring to density, unless your dr meant something else by it.

My surgeon said the same thing to me about 15 yrs ago, and unfortunately I didn't get a dexa till 3 yrs ago, and the other problem was there was really no formal treatment for osteoporosis back then other than what I was doing, exercise, calcium, d etc. I now have severe osteoporosis and am taking a daily injection of parathyroid hormone to prevent spontaneous fractures and to rebuild the bone.

Hope your recovery is going well and your not sweeping anything

Good Luck...

Old 03-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]My doctor put me on Fosomax to help with the bone density. When I was in last time I asked if I could try the new one that is only once a month instead of once a week. He nixed that because he said there isn't enough history on it yet. Bummer. I was hoping for the once a month version. [/COLOR]

Old 03-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

DesertBloom: Truthfully he did not say anything in particular except he is sending me to a rhemotologist after things settle down for a complete work up. When I had my first post op visit on day 8 from surgery to be honest, I was on so much meds that I did not ask alot of questions. However, when I go back at 7 weeks I have a long list of questions for him and this one is on it.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]
Carol , more bad new's for you ? When will it ever end ? Funny you brought this subject up because my surgeon think's I have some instability issues with the L4-S1 now and soon will have surgery to remove my hardware. Good thing is that my L4-L5 is fused ( so he say's again)
I'm getting the trial stimulator for pain and if it works ,the permanent implant the same time as my hardware removel /S1 problem .

I guess it's sort of good new's
I'm so sorry your still in pain , I to know it well..Been on the couch lately with a heating pad not doing anything..I will pray they find the source of your pain and fix the problem's..I still think you should try the stim ,what do you have to lose ?

[/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the input. The PM pointed out the arthritis in the last films I brought, noone ever showed that to me, I knew it was there but didn't know just where at. It's on several vertibra, yippeeeee! My fathers side of the family has terrible arthritis so I guess that who I can blame, hehe.

I"m gonna try the facet injections and the water jogging, I woudl really like to be more fit and certainly looking better is a nice extra. I lost 30 lbs. about 1 1/2 yrs ago, well with not exercising it all came back. So off I go on the weight loss again.

Shawley, I have ruled out the stim but I really wnat to see if these things will matter or not, I have a funny feeling I'm gonna be where your at with the stim before too long.

Thanks & God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Closed Thread