It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

skyward HB User
Post Car accident and MRI Results

Hi All ,

New to the site, just found it a few minutes ago while trying to research info on terms in my MRI report. Had a car accident in Feb and trying to determine if MRI results indicate What ?

I went to the hospital after the wreck ( transported myself) and had an xray of spine. My back was hurting and was prescribed Flexaril. The next day my neck started hurting. Went to a Bone and Joint Doctor that did additional Xrays and was sent for MRI's . Have gotten those back and been referred to a Spine clinic. Results will be below. What I have questions about is whether these would have been caused by accident ?

Cervical Spine

C2-3 normal
C3-4 mild unconvertabral joint degenerative changes without significant stenosis .
C4-5 right central protrusion without stenosis
C5-6 left central/foraminal disc osteophytic protrusion causing mild central canal stenosis and moderate left neural foraminal stenosis
C6-7 right foraminal protrusion causing moderate to severe right neural foraminal stenosis
C7-T1 no significant bulge or protrusion

Lumbar Spine

L1-2 disc is normal
L2-3 mild disc degeneration without stenosis
L3-4 diffuse disc bulge with central annular tear. No significant stenosis
L4-5 diffuse disc bulge with facet arthropathy and ligamentum flavum thickening. Central annular tear as well.
L5-S1 Diffuse disc bulge with a superimposed central protrusion. Mild bi-lateral neural foraminal and subarticular stenosis.

I had never experienced back pain or neck pain before and had no idea what people went through ! Now I do and have a newfound awareness of back problems.
I am a 49 year old female that wants to get some outside opinions or knowledge from others that ma have had a similar experience.

Thanks so much for your help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
(female)

cythren HB User
Re: Car accident and MRI Results

I'm no doctor, but I'd guess that a lot of the stuff listed here is simply normal age-related changes. Almost everybody gets some amount of arthritis and degenerative changes as they age - like grey hair.

I do know that stenosis, growth of osteophytes, and ligament thickening are age-related and develop gradually.

Annular tears and bulges could happen as a result of trauma, although they can also happen without trauma. Annular tears and bulges are common and don't always cause pain.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Car accident and MRI Results

I agree with Cythren but my non-medical agree opinion would think that the car accident could certainly jar the spine making these aging processes more noticeable. What I am trying to say is that yes you already had the stenosis and narrowing not causing you any problems today but because you were in an accident it might make them more painful now.

Good luck and I pray that your pain will be short lived.

Closed Thread