It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

bailey07 HB User
Kind of Personal

OK, I just have to ask this question. Could you share your experience with toileting following fusion. Having L4-S1 Anterior Fusion March 27. I despirately hope I don't have to have my husband assist me in this chore. We'd both be mortified. Responses appreciated.
Bailey07

Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Kind of Personal

My answer is kind of personal, too. LOL!!

I handled it myself 100%. Was it difficult? You bet it was until I was out 4 weeks. If you do not have the raised toliet, get it. Make sure your toliet paper is at the proper height and you don't have to reach for it. Get flushable wipes. They make wiping easier. I found standing up easier and reaching from the front.

Okay here is the really embarrasing part....it is easier to do an extra cleaning in bed laying on your side. OMG I can't believe I just typed this.

Also recommend getting the female wipes and sprays especially for the hospital.

Okay now that I am totally beet red....I hope my friends will not look down on me or be laughing behind my back...........SHAWLEY!

I just love this board!!

Last edited by ms_west; 03-08-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Good question Bailey! I'm glad you asked and thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of that so good I know what to expect and what to get ahead of time!

Harmony

Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

It's an important question! There is nothing too embarassing to ask here..dont be silly.

I only had one level fused at l4/l5 and was done posterior.

I was able to take care of this on my own. It requires patience, but doable for most.

The moist wipes are extremely helpful.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
(female)

cathydownunder HB User

From my experience having a fusion and disc replacement, the raised toilet seat is a MUST. I had the same level done as you and 1 above and you are not supposed to bend, even slightly to sit on the loo. Also the rails are a great help to pull yourself up and lean on. I used mine for about 8 weeks.
I also bought a shower stool with arms and 8 months later I'm still using it just for my own convenience. It's something to put my legs up on while I shave them! My hubby just moves it out and I put it back again!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Navy"][B]

Hey it's not silly really ! I tried to wipe after my first surgery and couldn't twist or reach around to wipe ,I hit the nurse buzzer and said I have a problem , she came into my room and said what ,I was so embarrest when I told her ,she said no big deal it's common..I had to have my wife do it for a couple weeks and it wasn't that bad..

The flushable wipes are the best ,I still use them..I have the cleanest butt in the county .

You'll be ok there's more to worry about than that..
Good Luck.[/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
(male)

HAGFAN HB User

Keep that woman Shawley!

There was NO WAY I was going to someone else to do that job for me, I just didn't eat (really didn't feel like eating anyway) until I was able to get er done (if ya know what I mean)
It really dosen't change that much after you heal from multi level fusion, the back just dosen't bend the way it used to, when showering, when wiping etc. The intense agonizing waves of bone crushing pain stops, but it is still difficult to twist a bit and do what cha need to do back there!!
You just need to develop a new technique.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:10 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]
HAGFAN , Oh yea good girl she is .
I would of tried to hold it to if I knew I couldn't wipe , it was all new for me .
When you have to go BAD you really don't care , beside's that she said my bum is cute so she didn't mind it at all. It took a couple weeks till I could reach it.

Waiting on the doctor to call for the date of my stim.[/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-09-2007, 05:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]I had a 3 level fusion. My brace was the hard shell and I COULD NOT wipe because it went so far down on my hips. My dear, dear hubby, bless his heart, cleaned me up. Even when I had C-diff a nasty intestinal bug you pick up in hospitals. When I asked him if he ever thought he would be wiping my tush, he said, "Yes. but I thought you'd be 80 years old and wrinkled!"

when the brace guy came to re-fit my brace he cut it up so I could wipe myself. Relief!

The worst was when my back was broken, couldn't use my left leg and the nurse had the unmitigated gall to tell me I should be getting up to go to the bathroom instead of using the bedpan.. I only wish on her the broken back with help like her.....

that being said, you can do it...and don't be embarassed about asking for help. That is their job and they are trained...although sometimes they use waaaaaaaayyyyyy too much toliet paper.....

You can tell we have all been through worse, can't you?

hush shawley![/COLOR]

Last edited by ibake&pray; 03-09-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I also was able to handle this myself. I just needed help to and from the bathroom and getting on the seat. I did not have a raised seat and the seat at the hospital was not raised. After I got seated I was able to handle everything else.

Good question it was not something I thought of before my surgery.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I never had to have help in this area, thankfully! It was painful and took a little more time, but I was able to manage. Depending on your body build, you may find it easier to wipe from the front instead of trying to reach around. And I agree that the flushable wipes are the bomb! Makes the job much easier!

In fact, I used those wipes to give myself a "sink bath" quite a few times, as I was having fainting issues and it was not safe for me to take a shower in the beginning. At most, every third day I got into the shower for 1-2 minutes before I started feeling light headed and had to quick get out and get to the bed before I landed on the floor. I felt dirty, although my husband assured me I didn't smell, so I'd use a few wipes standing at the sink when I had the strength at some point during the day. It felt great to be able to wipe off my arms and torso, even if it was quick. Freshened me up and made me feel a lot better.

Get the wipes!

Emily

Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hi Everyone,
I needed help in the beginning too, it's not something they tell you as part of the recovery. I sure wish they did cause it's a BIG problem if you cant' do it. God Bless all the people that helped with this taks, I'm not so sure I could have been in my hubby's place and done that. I had trouble changing my kids poopy diapers when they were young, hubby woudl laugh at me so hard then he would change them. Good Luck!

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 03-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
(female)

bailey07 HB User

Thank you for all the replies. What a board! You all are great and I will definetly get the wipes. Now I just need to finish getting my house ready and think about what foods will be handy. The 27th is coming toooo soon.
Bailey07

Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

[QUOTE=clover60;2847250]I also was able to handle this myself. I just needed help to and from the bathroom and getting on the seat. I did not have a raised seat and the seat at the hospital was not raised. After I got seated I was able to handle everything else.

Good question it was not something I thought of before my surgery.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused about raising the seat. If it is an extra piece of equipment, what does it look like?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Please tell me, what kind of flushable wipes are the best?

Harmony

Closed Thread