It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
(male)

lobster327 HB User
prednisone

Can someone please tell me how long the effects of Prednisone stay in your system after you stop taking it? I stopped about a week ago and my pain is starting to come back. I don't know if the Prednisone is wearing off or if i did something to bring the pain back. Thanks folks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: prednisone

It really varies. I have taken it and had a couple weeks of relief one time and the next time gotten no relief. Another time, I took it felt some relief and then as the taper went down the pain soared back up. There is no set timeframe.

Sorry about your pain!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

My pain usually comes back after a week of stopping the predisone

Old 03-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

My pain never leaves when I take it

Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I don't believe that it is a very good idea to be taking prednisone for anything but 5 or 6 days during an acute attack. Prednisone to me is the last drug of choice as it has so many side effects. It should never be stopped abruptly but should be weaned off slowly. There has to be better pain management than using prednisone for anything but a very brief period of time.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Prednisone does not stay in the body for long at all, but makes a tremendous impact while it is in the sytem.

If you have a medrol pack.. you will notice.. the dose in the beginning is substantial and from then on.. is graduated down slowly.

At end end.. the prednisone is already mostly out of the body and system, and of course.. after.. it's gone. Not "immediately" but still not much left behind.

It is possible the pain you are feeling could be a return of increased inflammation that you are feeling more pain with, and not necessarily the medication no longer being in your system.

Hope that helps.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Prednisone can relieve inflamation (sp)...BUT, if you stop taking the prednisone suddenly...or wean to quickley you can have a major problem. . I was given prednisone, low dose, 5 mg., for 2 years...and I eventually weaned myself off of it, very, very, very slowly. The problem is your adrenal glands are "put to sleep" when you are on prednisone...so they cannot produce the natural steroids your body needs to live. In my case my adrenal/pituatuary glands did not fully wake up, I had enough hormones for basic daily function, but when I had my ACDF...my body rebelled...approx. 7 weeks after surgery, I crashed. The Drs., thought I had a heart attack...naw...but all of the symptoms and even the lab tests said so. Long, long story...but it took approx. 15 months until my husbands endrocroc. Dr. to diagnose me....(he just was looking at me, and asked what was going on..)...at first he said I had hypoglycemia, and I was tested for it...5 hr. test...sugar levels fell to 28...(my body was so used to no sugar by that time, I only got tired, should have been passed out on the floor)...then 3 months later, he said there is something else still going on...and did ACTH test...well, my test came out low...so I had adrenal insuffiency. And all because of the prednisone which I had been off of for approx. 3 years at that point. Prednisone can be a lifesaver, and I love the stuff..makes one feel great, usually.. BUT, it can cause problems, which we are not aware of... Now, 1 1/2 yrs. after starting treatment for the insuffiency, I am recovering..(at least my adrenals/pitutary gland are)..it takes, a long time..if they do recover.) I guess my point is, if you are on prednisone for a period of time...don't just stop taking it, and wean off according to your Doctor's plan. Sorry this is so long, just wanted to make sure nobody has to live through what I have, and be unaware of what can happen..even as you live through it...

Sage

Closed Thread