It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

Lynne720 HB User
Opana- a new pain medication

My boyfriend saw his pm dr today and he switched him from oxycontin to opana ER (40mg 2x, every 8hrs). Is there anyone here that is on this medication? The FDA just approved it June 06 and its the first time its available in a ER tablet.

Also, he saw his surgeon and he wants him to go for another CT scan in 4 weeks since that will be the 6 month mark. I don't believe he saw anything on the x-rays taken in the office. The CT scan done 2 months ago did show some fusion.

In the meantime, we are going to see a neurosurgeon for a 2nd opinion in 2 weeks.

Lynne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Opana- a new pain medication

Hey Lynn I have heard this is a morphine oxycodone mix pill , it's opiates either way you look at it, very addicting stuff I would imagine , no thanks for me..That stuff is hard to get off after you been on it for a while..

I hope your boyfriend can go without pain meds ASAP..That stuff is nasty...
What have you heard about this and whats wrong with your boyfriend ?
Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

Shawley, I wish he could go without pain meds. That was his goal after his surgery but his pain has increased significantly. I'm hoping he will get some relief from the Opana since he has been on Oxycontin for over a year so he probably became tolerant to it. I don't know much about the Opana yet. His pm doctor still thinks that he is in the early stage of healing. His revision was in sept.(original surgery was 12/05 which failed) and then he had to go back the following week to the ER and they did more surgery because of a stapf infection (which has healed). We think that he has an underlying autoimmune disease but trying to find a good rhemu dr. has been very difficult. Its just been a very vicious cycle for him.

Lynne

Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

Opana is a semi-synthetic opioid analgesic. The generic name is oxymorphone. It has been around for several years but had to be given with a needle. Opana is the first available that can be taken by mouth.

The supposed advantage is that tolerance builds slower than most opioids. My PM doc tried it on me once but it seemed to make me sick.

Please do not chastise him for taking opioids. Those of us who have to take them for medical reasons feel bad enough as it is. If he is ever fortunate enough to come off them there are new, less agonizing ways to get through withdrawal. It is not like the street addict heaving his guts out in a trash can

Old 03-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

Jack, thanks for the info. And I would never chastise him for taking pain meds. He is the one who wants to stop taking them but he is in too much pain to stop his meds. I don't want him to suffer. He has been through so much already.

Lynne

Old 03-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

[QUOTE=Lynne720;2848718]Jack, thanks for the info. And I would never chastise him for taking pain meds. He is the one who wants to stop taking them but he is in too much pain to stop his meds. I don't want him to suffer. He has been through so much already.

Lynne[/QUOTE]

I know exactly how he feels. He is lucky to have you.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
(male)

dada2izzy HB User

I have been on Opana ER since October 06. There are two types of Opana: the extended release and the immediate release. I've had good pain relief with Opana (Extended Release) and currently do not have to take a breakthrough med. The only draw back is the cost, a month supply for myself is over $1,000. If he has any questions about the med I could try to help.

Medications tried:
-Vicodin
-Percocet
-Morphine
-Oxycontin
-Methadose
-Neurontin
-Elavil

Currently on:
-200mg. Celebrex
-160mg. Opana ER/day

Old 03-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

[QUOTE=dada2izzy;2848744]I have been on Opana ER since October 06. There are two types of Opana: the extended release and the immediate release. I've had good pain relief with Opana (Extended Release) and currently do not have to take a breakthrough med. The only draw back is the cost, a month supply for myself is over $1,000. If he has any questions about the med I could try to help.[/QUOTE]

He was given the 40mg ER and the 10mg for breakthrough pain. He was feeling sick after the first dose but I think its the transition from oxycontin. I am trying to convince him to give it some time and hopefully it will work better. Thankfully the cost is only $50 each for a month's supply since we have prescription coverage. And it helps to know that you are getting relief from this med. I will let him know.

Lynne

Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

Lynne

I just wanted to post a Thank You to you....for being understanding to your partner. Us Chronic Pain sufferers are rarely understood, and it makes me feel (not to speak for anyone else here) alone in this process to try and feel less pain and maybe get better. We need more than just the right medicines and our own positive self talks....we need genuine support from our loved ones. Its as important as any medicine we can take. So, I understand that you are writing this post to check out the overall reviews on this med "Opana", but just know that you are supplying something much more important to your boyfriend...Real Support. (I won't lie...pain meds help more than I can explain, but I'd take a good shoulder to cry on over my
meds any day of the week).

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Last edited by babs17; 03-09-2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

[QUOTE=babs17;2848908]Lynne

I just wanted to post a Thank You to you....for being understanding to your partner. Us Chronic Pain sufferers are rarely understood, and it makes me feel (not to speak for anyone else here) alone in this process to try and feel less pain and maybe get better. We need more than just the right medicines and our own positive self talks....we need genuine support from our loved ones. Its as important as any medicine we can take. So, I understand that you are writing this post to check out the overall reviews on this med "Opana", but just know that you are supplying something much more important to your boyfriend...Real Support. (I won't lie...pain meds help more than I can explain, but I'd take a good shoulder to cry on over my
meds any day of the week).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your post Babs. You can cry on my shoulder anytime.

And about Opama, my boyfriend isn't happy right now. Its after 1am and he woke up feeling sick from it so he is going back on Oxycontin. Of course, since I didn't go with him to his appointments today since I had to work, he feels that he let the doctor make a mistake by switching his pm and now I feel guilty for not being there with him.

Lynne

Old 03-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Hi Lynne, maybe he could ask his md for some phenergen (sp) Almost every pain med that isn't otc makes me sick, the phenergen has been a life saver for me this go round as I never would have made it without the pain meds. I only take the pain meds now when it gets to the point that I can't deal and I think that since I've been on so many of them since Jan. this year that your body develops a tolerance to the meds as now I can take many of them without the phenergen. Just a thought... Usta

Old 03-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

Is phenergen for nausea? If so, he has Reglan which helps but the Opana isn't causing nausea. He said that he remembers it hurts his stomach the same way morphine hurt his stomach. BUT I asked him if the Opana took the pain away and he said yes and that the Oxycontin didn't help as much anymore. So I don't know what he is going to do. I think I will suggest that he give the Opana a try again in a few days if he wants to.

Lynne

Old 03-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

HI Lynne,

Yes phenergen is for the stomach and for keeping you from getting sick. I hope that everything works out for your guy. Maybe if he tells his md about the stomach pain they can give him something else that will help with it. Usta

Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I would also make sure that he is eating something with substance with each med (toast, yogurt, saltines, breads, bagel) -- maybe even 20 minutes before taking his meds.

Praying that his stomach and meds will be straightened out soon.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-10-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Closed Thread