It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User
Question What's better than One Question? Two!!! & That's Exactly what I have Here.

Just had to vent.

[SIZE="4"][B]1st Inquiry[/B][/SIZE]
Had Thoracic Discectomy Fusion in late Oct. Wore a brace til a month ago. 4 days after taking it off, my Original pain returned X100. I put the brace back on, and called the surgeon. I rested, but it just kept getting worse and worse. Now its been over a month and the pain is still bad...got an MRI of the Thoracic, and Cervical...nothing too great. My 2 herniations in my neck got bigger, buit not huge. And my herniations are are still ther same from T9-L1. The surgery site T7-T8 is clean...no reherniation.

I'm feeling a bit nutty. I mean the pain is still there. I'd say its a bit less in my right rib area since the surgery...but the right scapula, and right shoulder down the arm are the same. I take long acting meds now and that really does help the pain on a daily basis. But I went off them for a couple days to see where I am pain level wise, and its still horrobly painful. My PT therapist think its scar tissue. Could it be that scar tissue grew and is now mimicing my original herniation pain??? We started scar-decreasing therapy today. I returned to PT after about 5 weeks off since the pain kept me bed-bound. And anyone that is following my progress....I DID NOT make it to my Best friend's shower. I just could not make the drive into NYC. I was terribly disappointed. Any other suggestions of what it could be? It feels like the surgery never happened....except for the less pain in my right rib area.

[SIZE="4"][B]2nd Inquiry[/B][/SIZE]

BTW, I am reading some books on Chronic Pain right now...if anyone has a suggestion?? My only suggestion so far, is one called [I]Chronic Pain [/I]by Harold G. Koenig. It takes you through a variety of people and their "stories" of pain and it's impact on them. What I really need is a better way to communicate my pain and spine problems....so I would love it if anyone could suggest a book like that. I get very shy and tongue-tied at the MD appointment...which is so not like me.... I "hold it all in"....which is not good. I don't think I even communicate on this forum the way that I wish I could.

Thanks for checking out my post.

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User
Re: What's better than One Question? Two!!! & That's Exactly what I have Here.

Babs
I am so sorry that you have the pain you have. I am doubly sorry that you did not make the shower. Darn pain anyway keeps us from so much.

I have the same problem with talking or asking questions at the Dr. I usually just agree with anything they say. My soluation was taking my hubby with me as he asks too many questions. My other soluation is to write it down and give it to the Dr. or at least take it with me to help me communicate better.

Good luck

Old 03-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Babs,
I feel so bad for you. I wish I had better answers for you. Could it be that some of your original pain was from T9-L1? So T7-8 is "fixed," but part of the pain was from the lower area that wasn't fixed? Do they have any plans to do anything for T9-L1? I do know scar tissue can be very painful and you'd never realize that's what the pain was from. I had some scar tissue pain, but I had no idea that was it until my therapist started working it. I thought it was silly. I "knew" that wasn't the problem. But within just a couple of days, that pain was gone! Who'da thunk it?

I'm sorry you weren't able to make it to the shower. I was really hoping you'd be able to just hunker down in a corner at least. You were probably wise, though, to know your limitations and respect them.

I know this probably wasn't very helpful, but I'm thinking about you and hope for the best for you.

Take care!
Emily

Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
(male)

webdude HB User

Hi Babs.. I am so sorry to hear about your pain.

I went to visit my dr a few months ago, and he told me to read a book called

HEALING BACK PAIN
The Mind-Body Connection
By Dr Sarno

I got it from Amazon

It is interesting, and just another way to look at it... Perhaps some of my pain is from anxiety / fear / tension, but I know that I do have issues back there, so it is physical too.. My Dr told me that my back looks pretty good, and that I am healing just fine, and there is nothing to do, so it must be in my head..

I also read that depression and fear can make pain even worse.. So, I am seeing if it can help..

God Bless,

Maurizio

Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Hi Babs17, I'm Usta, what kind of right rib pain did/do you have? In my efforts not to bend or twist, I kinda leaned over the side of my recliner the other day to lift up the legs and got a sudden sharp pain under my right bottom rib. It hasn't gone away, it is not constant, but when it strikes it hurts. You don't suppose I did anymore damage from trying to protect the L3 L4 discectomy that I just had on Feb. 26th do you? I will ask PA on 13th, just wanted your feed back for possible peace of mind. I am really sorry that you are having the pain you discribed, I hope that yours is just scar tissue and that pt can work it out quickly for you. Sorry you missed your friends shower, I'm sure she understands. When we are in a lot of pain many things that we want to do or remember get displaced. I'm feeling really guilty right now for not calling my sister-in-law on 3-6 to tell her happy birthday, I just didn't think about it. I'm blaiming the drugs though, hope you feel better soon! Usta

Old 03-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

usta.
Hope you recover well from your L3-L4 discectomy. I'm pulling for ya!!

I am guessing your pain is related to a muscle pull. But defintely still ask the PA. My rib pain was directly related to my herniation at T7-T8. (Its very hard to herniate these discs) Herniations in the thoracic wrap around your side (rib area) as well as feeling it in your chest and scapula of the side that it herniated towards. Mine was a right sided herniation , therefore, I felt it in my right rib area, right scapula, center-area chest pain, and midback pain. I still feel it everywhere except the rib area pain settled down since the surgery. I think I just feel where they removed a rib now. But I am not sure.

Thoracic discs are usually herniated in a traumatic event. They are the protectors of the major organs in your body...so they are very strong. So, I think you are ok. Peace-of-Mind :-) to ya! Prob just a muscle pull. Have yourself a good weekend.

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 03-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Thanks Babs, that is a releaf, I sure didn't want to have to think about anymore back issues right now. I already suffer from cervical issues, I've been the unfortunate victim of about 5 mva's in the last 20 years, four of which were hit from the rear, and it has really done a number on my cervical region. I'm wondering if this last one also is responsible for the L3 L4 herniation as it was pretty bad, Totaled the car in the middle and did over $9000.00 damage to my less than 1 yr old car. Could just be my age, after all I am over 40 now and that is when they say that peoples backs begin to degenerate. Thanks for the info, I'll sleep better tonight not having that one to worry about. Thanks again Babs, here is to a pain free or atleast reduced night for us. ttultr, Usta

Closed Thread