It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
New meds question

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hi EVeryone,
I have been in the process of changing over from neurontin to lyrica, well I'm on 100mg 3 times a day for a few days now. Well I'm not so sure about this, I dont' have the relief that I did on the other. I"m feeling way more nerve damage pains along with way more back pain. To add to that I called the new PM office on thursday, still no refill called in for my flexiril !!! now I have to skip a few doses to get me thru the weekend. I can tell ya I'm not very happy with this new guy right now. My spine Dr. would have NEVER done this.

I really need to know if others out there have had the same problems with PM's. I have never dealt with them before. I'm really doubting getting these facet injections now. Part of me wants it but theres that lil nagging voice in my head that sayd NO DON'T DO THIS! I have had the injections at the start of my trouble yrs ago they didn't help at all.

I know my problems are rather severe but I'm feeling very insecure with this new guy, maybe it's just that I need to give him a chance? I know the way I feel right now I want call him and say some not very nice things. I go to my spine surgeon on wednesday, so we will see his opinion of this treatment plan. It 's sounds so good, guess we'll see.

Also my new anti-depressant is really messing with me BIG time. I have to eat when taking it at night, but I feel my heart beating in my chest like it's gonna bust wide open, then it's in my head throbing. If I eat ALOT it's not as bad but still there. I'm gionna try cutting them in half and I"m gonna ask the pharmacist since my PM doesn't even have a service to get hold of him after hrs. Once again I'm very happy with him.

Well anyway guess I just need a lil reassurance and some advice on if I'm handling this the right way. The PM also told me not to cmplain to my family & friends, to talk to the medical people but not to complain to my family since it will stress them out, so now I"m just holding it ALL in, thats helping all of this at all.

I'll be back around in a few, have to do some running around.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Last edited by mamakitkat; 03-10-2007 at 08:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User
Re: New meds question

Carol,

It sounds like to me that he is not the guy that I would want to be taking care of me. No way to get ahold of him?? To me that is a RED FLAG.

The meds not being squared away, it is another story and I guess it can happen fro time to time and I have had this happen from time to time. It could be that the forgot; or it could have got lost in siber space so to speak... It cold also be another red flag starting to wave.

I can not imagine a PM that has not a pager or a way that the office can contact him.

I might start thinking that 1 plus 1 = 2 and another stike if it was me and he would be out...

I am sorry that you are in so much pain and that you have other things that are not helping the situation.

Take care and try to smile, remember there are other people in the world that are having a worse time of it than what we are.

Roy 47.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Carol - I am so sorry and am sending cyber hugs to you. Personally, I am not sure that I would continue the antidepressant without talking to your PM or even a pharmacist. Anything that is causing heart palpatitions would scare me. Not something to mess with in my book. Please call at least a pharmacist today for me -- remember sometimes I can be pushy and I am pushing!! I would hate for anything to happen to you. Do you feel that nudge in your back??

Prior to my spinal surgeon and I could not get refills and I remember it used to make me so furious. A couple of times, I had to make an appt, walk into my GP office, she would take one look at me and say MY YOUR IN PAIN and she would write me a script for whatever I needed. It was the biggest waste of my time and insurance $$ but what are you going do??

Fortunately, my surgeon's office is very good about refills and they never question them. PRAISE THE LORD!! I would definitely sit down and discuss this in detail with the PM and ask him straight out....how much notice they need for refills and tell him when you need your meds you need them. I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he might not have a clue in about the problem.

As far as the facet injections go, they did not work for me but personally if I were you my non-medical opinion is to give it a shot (no pun intended). What have you got to lose? I think running it by your spine surgeon is a great idea for his opinon.

The problem with all this back stuff and I don't have to tell you is that it can be frustrating and thank GOD we have one another to lean on.

I am praying and pulling for you. Remember we are in this together.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hi,
Thanks for the replies,

ROY. I do agree there are many worse lots in life to have and I"m grateful mine is not worse. But that doesn't make my pain any less today nor my anger at the PM and less. I have been going thru this since 1998, I can't begin to tell you the idiot Dr.'s I have come across in all that time. I will give him a chance but I'm thinkin he's already got at least one strike from me.

Pepper, I know you have been thru the wringer too, it's rough to not know what to do. I'm so glad that we have this board too, it's saved me sooo many times I lost count. I do read so much on here that I learn from. Thanks so much pepper, I'm feelin that nudge. I'm gonna stop at the drug store in a bit and talk to the pharm. if he can't helpme than I'm back on the old one till the PM hears of this problem. I was so scared I almost called 911 the second night. I was never that scared in my entire life and I'm not exagerating at all.

Thanks Again!!

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Carol if you felt the urge to call 911 I would defnitely not be taking it. That is way to scary. I am counting on you to meet us at the beach!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
(male)

Dnunan28 HB User

Mama,

I was initially started on Lyrica and I took me a few weeks to get the amount built up my blood stream to make it work correctly...I've been on 200mg x 3day for the last 6 months...But when I first started on it, I was had a feeling of being light headed, and for a short time (week or two) had a to a hard to describe feeling of euphoria , I was almost afraid to drive during that time..It passed and now I feel like the Lyrica is working well for me, but he doc was thinking about raising the dose too, with some increasing leg pain I've been getting.

Hope it helps and hang in there..the Lyrica is good stuff for some, it just needs some time go get in the body and start working to see if its for you.

Aaron

Old 03-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]HI,
Thanks Aaron for the info on the lyrica, I figured it might be a bit longer than a week to get rid of the neurontin effects and get fully on the lyrica, but boy I didn't think it was gonna feel this bad while in transition.

Pepper, Boy that beach would be kickin right now! I didnt' get to the drug store but I did decide to not take them any more until I talk to the doc, back to the old ones for now. I dont' want to stop them all together. I do see my spine doc on wed. so maybe he can give me his input on that reaction too.

OK well hopefully a good nights sleep for me I went to sleep at like 1 am last night and got up at 7 am, so I'm hopin to be snoozzin before too long. Gonna make a few greeting cards that gets my mind in the zone and mellows the pain a bit.

Hope you all have a pain free night.
God Bless

I'll be dreamin bout that beach, in my new 50 lb lighter bod, hehe!
Carol[/COLOR]

Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=mamakitkat;2850056][COLOR="SeaGreen"]HI,
Pepper, Boy that beach would be kickin right now! I didnt' get to the drug store but I did decide to not take them any more until I talk to the doc, back to the old ones for now. I dont' want to stop them all together. I do see my spine doc on wed. so maybe he can give me his input on that reaction too.

I'll be dreamin bout that beach, in my new 50 lb lighter bod, hehe!
Carol[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]Carol, thank you for not taking those. I feel much better now.

I would love to be 30 lbs. lighter - 50 would be fantastic!!
[/COLOR]

Old 03-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Pepper,
Oh I'm on that beach, see the waves rolling in? the warm sea air? My son lives 10 minutes from laguna beach, CA, that would be a nice place to start. I took a lil extra vicodin, had to do something to manage the flexiril gap. I did add an extra lyrica today too, not helping but then I guess I shouldn't have took that trip to Sam's before the beach, huh.

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hello my dear friend!! Sorry to hear the transition is rough going so far. I see many changes coming from this new PM. Some sound good and some not so good.

First off, I think your PM is somewhat treating you like a newbie with the comments about talking to your family about pain. That sounds like it anyway. Like DUH.. you didnt already know not to unleash on them all the time! BUT you are a seasoned veteran to this process as many of us are, and thus, so is our family. (I think he could have left that comment out for your situation to be honest.)

I am "STUNNED" that this doctor has no after hours contact mechanisms in place, ie- on-call rotations. Just stunned! That would not be good for me. I have never called any of these doctors during off hours thank goodness, but if EVER did.. I would want to know my doctor could be reached if needed.

Now good is that he's trying some new meds to see if they help you better. You were on a pretty high dose of the Neurontin and it might just be a bit for the Lyrica to do it's thing and also your body adjusting to the difference.

He also changed your anti-depressant? Hmm.. wonder why, maybe the Lyrica works better with this new one? What did he give you new and what have you been taking? Either way, Im glad you stopped taking the med that made your heart race.. that is not good.

And this is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of WHY HE NEEDS TO BE AVAILABLE AFTER HOURS!!! Ugh!

Well try giving this guy the benefit of the doubt and it being a transitional phase, but if it continues Carol.. might have to rethink this and discuss other options with your surgeon. Make sure you tell him what's go on with things and just let him know you are not happy with this guys protocols and lack of to date. This way you are not asking him to comment against another doctor, but are giving him the "in" to do if he desires, or is at least on alert about what's transpired to date.

As to the facet injections.. it might help you this go round where it did not before.

I am now seeing this new spine surgeon and so far, I've only seen him once but like him so far. But then my other surgeon (that I told him I just wanted a separation and not divorce from yet.. hehehe) he stated that injecting the facets might be of some help to me also. I just had my new MRI done and just need to make a appointment to go back and talk with the new guy about it.

I have been so busy with my college course (first exam was a high B! Yay! This was a very difficult portion and I was thrilled with the B! I am normally an A only person.. it's a anal thing ..hehehe).

But also that house I had been working on with tile, etc for so long.. Well, we decided to move back into it after all this time. We miss our friends there and it's 1/2 the size of this place, so much easier to care for. So have been also busy with getting it finished, and ready to move in. But still so much undone there, but need to get this log home on the spring market. It's ready to go other than getting us out of here to get it nice and spit shined to show! Hopefully it will seel quickly but is a niche market sale. But the home is magazine gorgeous, so I am hoping for a quick sale. But, I am totally worn out and more to come over the next few weeks then company arrives from Europe for the next month after that!

I can't wait to see them, but boy.. gonna be so tired and still have to keep up with school. Not easy , but I will make it all work.

I am thinking about you all the time and hoping this PM works out for you. Could just be a bad first impression thing. Might give him a chance and see how it all pans out. But if it doesnt, dont feel trapped there.. there are other PM's.

Wish you all the best my friend. Hang in there. Im doing the same!

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Carol,
I'm sorry to hear the problems you are having with your new PM. Unfortunately most of the PM's in our area are all basically the same. I have yet to find one who offers after hour care. There are so few PM's here that I have run the gammut of them and finally found one who is stern but compassionate at the same time.

For your doctor to tell you NOT to discuss your pain with others is rediculous, you need to vent, we all do. That's why of course the boards are great.

If you pm doesn't work out and you are willing to try another one I'm more than happy to share my PM's information. The only "bad" thing about him is that he does not believe in break through medications because the vast majority of his patients he gave them to would use them as part of their daily regimine which totally defeats the purpose of BT medication. Otherwise he's very good at giving you resources and medication. Unlike many of the PM's here he doesn't force you into injections but will sugest them.

Currently he has encouraged me to see a chiropractor. Now before you all freak like I did he suggested someone in Mentor who does massage therapy, deep heat treatments, electrical stimulation etc. I told him I can not be manipulated due to EDS and my joints would dislocate. My doc was so open that he said he understood and if this doctor even remotely suggested it to walk out of the office and refuse treatment. Not all doctors would be so open like that.

I hope you make it through the weekend ok and are able to get ahold of your PM on Monday.

wishing you the best
Barbie

Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hi Kissa,
I have adjusted the lyrica to 4 a day instead of 3 and it did seem to make a difference. PM may not like that but oh well, I'm not gonna suffer the entire weekend since he doesn't have an answering service. I also stopped the anti-depressant went back to my old one for now.

I will be addressing these problems with him, or should I say his asst. I may be looking you up for the one you have. I do want to give this guy a chance, he has people that come from California to see him, which is great if he does well with them, but he's not earning his fees on me thats for sure.

Thanks for your reply. God Bless

Justoneofus, Great grade!! sounds like a great house too, wish I could afford it I would snatch that up, I love log homes.

The anti-depressant is Desyrel 100 mg at night. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack, my heart was beating so hard & fast I couldn't even count a pulse, my legs were like rubber, I was even afraid to go up the stairs to wake my hubby. I grabbed the phone and weaved out to the kitchen and grabbed somthing to eat hoping it would help. It did calm things down. I took it for 3 nights and no more. I feel better now that i'm not taking it for a few nights.

Well enough of me for now. It's been a while since I have been on here the past few weeks, not up to date with many of the posts.

It sounds like your rolling right along pretty good. Thats so nice to hear good news, that your LIVING life. I hope you enjoy your company and you continue to do well with your classes.

Thanks for the well wishes!

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 03-12-2007, 01:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Carol!! That is great news about the lyrica and you are seeing some positive progress. Positive is that is for sure!!

I say just let your PM/asst be mad and explain to them that you thought you might have to call 911 and if they don't understand it then they have no compassion and we want you to RUN from them. If you can't RUN, then waddle out of there quick.

Carol, thank you for being here for us all and please keep coming back and posting on the board WE NEED YOU!!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

My PM's office says if it's after hours and it's an emergency to call 911. I too have had the phone in my hand ready to push the buttons. PTL it didn't come to that. When you are in #10 pain and nothing is helping, you do what you must do. As for the heart racing, that is a real good way to wake up dead. You did the right thing to stop taking those drugs. Good Luck and take care. Fred

Old 03-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]HI,
Thanks for your replies Fred & Pepper,
I had to call my spine surgeon today and HE filled my meds, cautioning me that if I had a contract with this PM getting him to fill these would probably cancel the PM out from me being his patient. I talked to the PM's Asst. well no one had any record of me calling there thursday! I explained how I am in some serious pain since I have not gotten the proper dosage since friday on the flexiril and that the anti-depressant just about killed me, she says so you dont' want to continue them? DUH!!!!! no I don't. She says that she will email him and call me or have him call me, well I had take my son to the Dr. at 2:30 today so I didn't wait for them to call back, still no call!

I'm not going to continue with him I think, I suffered ALL weekend, that has not happened in 4 yrs. I'm gonna ask my spine Dr. if he could continue my pain management. Since I have a new CT done now, he can use that to treat any further problems with the new bad discs. If I need surgery he will be the only one I let touch me anyway. Now maybe my hubby will understand why I want to go 3 hrs away to see a back dr.

I really dont' think I can handle any more right now. This has been the worst.

Now my 16 yr old son has back pain which is starting to down into his upper thigh when he sits. Dr. thinks it's may just be a strained muscle. Do you guys think she's right? I thought when it travels it's messing with the nerves, muslce strains don't mess with nerves do they? I pray he starting down the same road I'm traveling.

Well now that I'm all typed out, I will be back later, have to try to rest a bit, I'm not well today at all.

I do plan on staying on this board for a long time, I'm very sorry I have been helping too much these days, hopefully I will get adjusted and back on track again soon and be of a bit more help.

Thanks to all of you that have helped me somuch.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Closed Thread