It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Good for a laugh-Chiropractor!

Hi All. I just wanted to share this. Thursday night I went to a free seminar put on by a chiro. I figured what the heck a free steak dinner at a nice restaurant, why not. Well, this guy came on like a modern day Hitler. Friday I went to his office for a free evaluation. He "scanned " my back and showed me the results. The places were I have the most problems showed "moderate" the places that aren't too bad showed "severe". Then came the "catch". He wanted to x-ray and lay out a plan to "save my life"! I didn't let him go any farther and I won't let him touch my back! It was interesting and gave me a reason to get out of the house so no harm done! Anybody have thoughts about chiro's? Fred

Old 03-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Good for a laugh-Chiropractor!

Well how was the steak??? LOL.

Personally, I wouldn't let one even near my back. Not to say it isn't or is right for the next person.

Isn't there supposed to be an osteochiropractor?? He is a chiropractor but has an MD behind his name. He has ortho degree. Anyone know the scoop on that?

Arthr Itis, hope you don't mind me asking this question I have been wondering about since you brought up the chiropractor topic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Pepper, you might be thinking of an osteopath. He's a medical doctor who has also had training in manipulation.

In my opinion, anyone with serious back issues should not see a chiropractor without first being cleared by a physician. For those without back issues, they may offer some relief of minor back symptoms. But anyone who sees one should be aware that all chiros are not the same. Some treat all patients exactly alike, assembly line style, and are very unaware of the harm they could do to some. There are good ones out there, though. How to know? Well, trial and error, perhaps. I wouldn't want to risk it, personally.

My two cents worth...

Emily

Old 03-11-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
(male)

webdude HB User

I have friends that swear by their chiros, but I am not as trusting... If I ever do go to a chiro, it would be one that has worked on someone that I know that has the same issues that I do...

Maurizio

Old 03-12-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
(male)

Porter107 HB User

I completely agree with Emily, I truly believe that Chiros have some benefit to some people, depending on thier problem, but how does one know what exactly is the cause of thier pain? I think its really hit and miss when it comes to the advantage of having your spine manipulated by a chiro. An x-ray is not going to show a blown disc and all the manipulation in the world is not going to correct it, and in fact may cause more pain and damage. Of course this is just my personal opinion from personal experiance. Its a gamble that I wont take again.

Porter

A steak dinner? When was the last time your Ortho, Neuro or heck your GP offered you a free steak dinner and free e-val? Maybe there is a benefit after all? Mmmmmm...Steak!

Last edited by Porter107; 03-12-2007 at 02:40 AM.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"][B]
Hey folks,
My surgeon told me to go to a chiro to work on my hip's and upper back ,but told me to tell him to stay away from the fusion area..The chiro's my wifes cousin so I trusted him ,I felt a little better after the sessions ??

Speaking of free dinner's my wife and mother in law and I went to our church to a dinner and fund raiser ,stuffed pork chops potatoes carrots and won $500.00 on a rip off ticket , my wife and I got into a argument about my doctor appointment before the dinner because were running low on funds this week ,well now I can go to my visit for the stimulator trial Talk about luck huh? Some body is watching over me [/B][/SIZE]

Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I have to agree with the opinions of chiro's. saw one for a long time years ago for 2 herniated disks in the lumbar. 18 months later I returned to work full duty. Had other PT and injections. Never had another back pain until I re-injured. Saw her again and asked about my husband who has had back surgery. she said she would work on all but the area around the surgery. Now I have been injured again and the worst being my neck. Bulged disks, stenosis, bone spurs. Am petrified to let even a chiro I trust touch my neck. They have their good but certain area of the body and certain ailments I feel could be dangerous. Love these guys who treat you to dinner and then want to save your life. Any Dr. that has to go through that to get patients is someone I would run from. Just my opinion.

ICC

Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

The steak was great! A friend was with me and had his exam today. The one question the chiro didn't answer was "when is the next dinner?" I know some people who swear by chiro's personally I swear at them. Unless they buy me dinner. Fred

Old 03-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi all!
I usually post over on the pain management board, I have a 12 year old fusion, ddd, nerve damage, a facet dysfunction in my lower back, and chronic pain.
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the chiro question.

My best friends hubby was a physical therapist for many years, and he was always highly offended that although he went to school for as many years, he could not be called 'Doctor' as a chiro could be.

When my pains started, he explained to me that PT can help strengthen the muscles that hold the spine in place, and with different therapys your body helps itself, while with chiro, the 'doctor' does all the work and actually WEAKENS those surrounding muscles, meaning you will have a chronic condition and need to be seen regularly forever. That made a lot of sense to me!
Also, I have never ever heard of a chiro telling anyone, man, woman, or child, that they were healthy and not in dire need of their services. I doubt medical doctors would say that to every single person they saw.

My friends husband was enraged once when he read an application for a new PT and the PT was crossed out and this guy had written 'Chiropractor' in its place, lol needless to say, he was not hired.

Lastly, My mom was a nurse for a family doctor for 40 years, and there was a chiro who set up practice across the street. He would routinely send patients over saying they needed muscle relaxers, anti biotics, what have you, and that **oops** he had 'lost' his prescription pad.
My mom always let the people know that chiropractors cannot write prescriptions of any kind and never will be able to. I just thought it was shady he would mislead his patients that way.

Thanks for letting me butt in to your convo,
Your Friend, Fabby

Old 03-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Fabby , Therapist and chiro's are all alike , the therapist I used to see broke my pedical screw by having me lift a 65lb pallet up past my waist ! I used to see this chiro for a couple months , after that I didn't need to see him? Said I was fine. I think it's the person not the title... shouldn't trash all chiro's I think there are some money hungry chiro's / therapist out there.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
(male)

DanSSwing HB User

My chiropractor is a basketball. I just lay down on my back on top of the ball in the middle of my spine and roll up and down the ball 10 times. If something's out of place, the pressure from the ball pushes it back in.(recommendation of my physical therapist, ask your own doc before you try it)

Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Paging Dr.Wilson! LOL tell him I loved him in 'Castaway'!

Hugs, Fabby

Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Sounds like he is one of those out for the $$

I use to be fairly skeptical about chiro's.......but I started having BAD back issues a few years ago. And after my GP took a look at me he recommended trying a chiropractor before going more invasive routes.

In the begining it was a pain cause I had to go twice a week....But that only lasted a short while. I can go a few months between 'tune ups' now........*Deep breath* AND I'M A BELIEVER NOW! LOL........ Couldn't help it

Last edited by Dakota; 03-13-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'm a very strong believer in chiropractic medicine, and have been for all my life. I know there are some out there who are not as good as others, but I've been fortunate to have a couple really good ones. I would go to a chiropractor, any time, any day, for any reason, and I wouldn't even have to be bribed with a steak.

Closed Thread