It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User
Exclamation Please Help! I Am Freaking Out!

Hi all,
Have any of you guys that have had successful fusion had your sciatic pain to return from time to time? It will be a year ago on April 25 that I had L4-5 PLIF with hardware. I feel that I have done very well. Dr. said that soild fusion was shown, I went back to office work full time at 3 months out, so I thought all was wonderful. I take no meds at all and haven't in a long time. I have a few twinges of pain from time to time but nothing I can't deal with with Tylenol. This moring when I got up I felt a little numbness in my back and stuff, thought it was just from sleeping so good, I barely moved last night. Then a few minutes ago I stood up to go in the other room and oh my God, pain has returned in right upper thigh/hip area, sure does feel like the old sciatic pain. I am freaking out...someone please tell me what you think might be going on. I AM SO SCARED! I am limping like a dog that has been hit by a car, I don't think I could handle this again. Please.. has anyone had your pain return and did it go away? I have not done anything different that usual, walk some on the treadmill, but I've been doing that for a while. You can bet I won't be doing it today though. Whoever believes in pray out there, please pray for me. Someone please...reply!! Thanks, Brenwill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Please Help! I Am Freaking Out!

I am so sorry that you are having old pain. Take a deep breath!! Take some Ibuprophen.....LOL.....I first typed Imodium.......LOL, alternate between heat and ice and rest all day. Don't bend, twist, or lift. Try a hot bath. Don't do anything else for the remainder of the weekend -- take a load off your feet. Hopefully you have some meds in the house from surgery (muscle relaxants/pain) if needed.

If the pain is to severe and/or you need meds go to the ER.

Other than that, I suggest if the pain continues I would follow up with your surgeon on Monday.

Take care and I am lifting you up in prayer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Thanks Pepper,
I just took some ibuprofen, have no meds left from surgery. That was 10 months ago. Thanks for the prayer. I really....need it right now. Bren

Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Hi Brenwill
Sorry you had your pain return. I know I would totally freak out if it was me and I had been pain free for 10 months. I sure hope this is just a freak flare up and nothing serious. Bad thing is that it always happens on the week-end.

I agree with pepper and take some advil and maybe try a hot bath. That might help to relax it. If the pain does get to where you can not handle it go to the ER at least they will help you with pain control until you can see your Dr.

I will certainly keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted

Good Luck

Old 03-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

How are you feeling tonight??

Old 03-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Hi Pepper,
I feel just a little better. The pain is not quite as intense as it was earlier today. I did the picking up feet like the other lady suggested that gave her relief, plus I have been alternating ice and heat all day, in addition to praying a lot. My friend at work who is also post fusion thinks that the flare up may have been due to the fact that we had a staff development yesterday and I sat in a hard, molded plastic chair for appx. 4 hours. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, I was fine last night. Anyway, thanks so much for asking and for your prayers. Hugs, Bren

Old 03-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Thanks Clover, that helps a lot! Hugs, Bren

Old 03-11-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hey Bren.. haven't seen you on here in awhile. Your PLIF was only a week after mine was done and at the exact same level.

I had return of sciatica 6 months and mine began with more intense PT. They thought my fusion had failed, but infact.. I was solidy fused when they did the CT Scan.

They are not sure what is causing the return of my sciatica.. and it's not always flared either, but I do still have to take one vicodin and skelaxin daily to keep things under a level of control.

I just had an MRI with contrast done last week and I have the films and not the report. Looks like "maybe" my l5/s1 bulge I've had since age 18, "might" be more aggrevated now and pushing into the nerve root but not sure. These films they took were much more clearer than my previous ones done, so I will reserve my thoughts to wait and hear what my new spine surgeon thinks.

I am doing okay and still better than before the surgery, but like you, I have had the sciatica flare to the point that I limp again and I dont like that. I also permanent nerve damage-- from the surgery on my left side when my problems before the surgery were strictly on my right. Both surgeons state that my numbness that has remained on my left side to date.. at this point.. they are saying will more than likely be permanent. This is not a biggie at all.

But the new sciatica and the flared nerve pains that go down both legs, that is a concern for me. Most days I am good and cope well, but have also had some very SCARED thoughts also. So I know what you are feeling.

You could just be having a flare and nothing more. I would try and just respect it (like you did with your post healing pain/flares) and see if it improves. If it doesnt Bren, time to call the doc and get in there to see what if anything else is going on.

Hang in there.. and keep us posted on how you are doing.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
(female)

sheri42 HB User

Hello.
I am 1 yr post op L-4-S1 and when I flare I have the sciatic pain,tailbone pressure, feet hurt. I luckly can say that to this point mine have only been flares. They so subside, and seem to be related to my female cycle and weather. I also get very stiff and spasm if I lay aroung to much. Be positive that it is just a flare.
Sheri

Old 03-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Hi Sheri, Hi Tammy,
Thanks for responding to my post. I'm sorry that you guys do have flare ups with your pain, but it sure does make me feel better knowing that I am not the only one. I was freaking out yesterday, that was the worst pain I had since surgery and it scared the heck out of me. However, thankfully I am feeling much....better today. Not 100% yet, but liveable. I had been doing so well, the flare up really caught me off guard. I had all kinds of bad thoughts ranging from I've broken a screw to the disk above or below the fusion has gone out. I worry about that a lot. I really think the leg lifts helped(along with all the prayers) thank you all very much. Thanks again to all who responded, this is a good group of folk. Have a great rest of the day! Bren

Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am glad you are feeling some better today. I pray that you feel even better tomorow.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Thanks DDP,
I am praying for you as well! Have a good one. Bren

Closed Thread