It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

bailey07 HB User
Treadmill: To Use or Not

Hi, still trying to get my ducks in a row for ALIF on the March 27. Could I have comments on the use of a treadmill following surgery? I'm sure it wouldn't be safe for several weeks, but wondering of any experiences. Also, what are foods you ate following returning home. My post-op instructions say to eat protien for healing. Harmony5, how are you doing and feeling on your day along with mine? Also, what do you do with all the time following returning home. I am going to be so board!
Bailey07

Last edited by bailey07; 03-10-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User
Re: Treadmill: To Use or Not

Bailey

I asked my Spine Surgeon after the surgery about the treadmill thing?

He told me no, bad idea for quite a while; walk around the house and things.If you were to trip and fall and the treadmill is not stopped a lot of bad things will and would happen.

Things are finally nice in Bellevue today and I went for a 45 minute walk,
it felt so good to get out after almost a month, My fusion surgery was on the 12th of Feb. and I think that things are going well.

Roy 47

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Roy is correct. My doctor told me to walk as much as you can and that is the best therapy. Anything else will jarr your spine which is not something you need or would want to do.

As far as being bored, I am 5 weeks out and really I have not reached that point yet. True I have had someone here 24/7.

Bordeom Ideas:

*Come chat on this board
*Join Netflix or something like that - I watch tons of movies and they are delivered right to your house for $20 per month.
*Stock up on books
*Play Board Games
*Some people do crafts
*Some people do puzzles (I can't sit long enough to do one)
*Sewing
*Reading (I have not read one book)
*Invite friends and family over for a movie night.

That is about all I can think of for right now.

As far as eating, you will do lots of that. Just eat your normal healthy balanced diets. Consider taking a multi-vitamin. My doctor put me on Calcium and Vitamin D for the fusion.

Take care and I pray that things go well for your upcoming surgery.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi Bailey!

I'm busy as you are trying to get my house in order; a bit more organized and getting the things I will need for my recuperation. Also, like you, thinking of foods to stock up on. I bought my grabber and a portable bed table; still need to get the raised toilet seat and "wipes" :-) I also have a shower chair. I'm having times on and off of fear and nervousness knowing "our day" is coming close! It's comforting to know you are also having the ALIF but sorry you have to go through this too. I was not given my post-op instructions yet but will have them Wed. at my appt. With love, support and prayer we will get through it. :-) Take care and keep in touch!

Harmony

Old 03-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

HI there.

I have a treadmill and I began using mine as soon as I told it's time for PT. Before that... I just walked around the house A LOT.

At home, you do get bored on occasions, but you also are kept busy with everyday living with your healing etc. Such as waking, moving about, showering each day takes awhile. Everything "normal" thing, TAKES TIME. Also you will tire very easily over the slightest things, so you will be doing a lot of resting (aka NAPS, zzzzzzzzzzzzz) throughout the day and night. So inbetween the regular routine stuff.. all the stuff the others have shared.

And when you get real anxious.. might be time to start trying to venture out a tad from home, just for a short ride, for a change of scenery, get a loaf of bread.. anything to get you out of the house for a little while. Spring has sprung in many places and with the nice weather coming.. on man.. great time to just walk out in your own yard and watch mother nature and take a little stroll around the neighborhood and before you know it.. you will be making several trips around the block with each outing.

Don't over think these things too much, just organize and let the rest just fall into place. All the best to you. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Bailey, Did the doctor tell you how long you should expect to be in the hospital for the ALIF? I wasn't told yet, but will find out Wed. I did meet with the other surgeon who will do the open/close, and he said they will put a drip thing on my arm with an anesthetic so I can drip it on the front incision for pain when needed. Have you heard of that? It sounds like a good thing.

Harmony

Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
(female)

bailey07 HB User

Harmony, I haven't heard of that. In my pack, my instructions say I will be in 3-4 day if all goes well. So I am thinking home Saturday, maybe Friday. My ride home is 4 hours, I would like that to be a blur and hope I don't have to stop to use a restroom. I'm planning to purchase a laptop this week, so I can pass time lying flat, keeping up on the boards and such. My M.D. has the sitting limited to 20-30 minutes at a time, then either lying flat or walking. I will get fit for my brace the day before surgery. That needs to be on when up and off to shower 15 min. only. I have had many surgeries, but I think this is going to be the grandaddy of them all. I don't have a shower chair, but think I can just stand in the shower for a quickie. I'm just thinking it would be less trauma than trying to bend to sit and get back up again. I may end up getting one, I work in a hospital, so won't have trouble finding one. As I am sure, your nerves are starting to work on you too. My husband will go back to work on Monday and I will be on my own. How about you? Please keep in touch.
Bailey 07

Closed Thread