It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Should I or shouldn't I

I am going to call my surgeon Monday morning.....we have had a close death in the family. Do you think being 5 weeks out I should even consider attempting riding 3 hours in the car for a funeral?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User
Re: Should I or shouldn't I

Hi Pepper,

That definately sounds like an MD question. How do you do riging around in the car around town? My sympathies to you and your family for your loss. I will definately keep you in my prayers this week. Sorry Pepper... Usta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Hi, not sure about 5 weeks. I went on a 5 hour trip at about 2.5 months. My dr. ok'ed it, he just said stop about every 45 minutes and walk for 5 minutes or so. I did and all was well. But again that was about 9 weeks out not 5. Definitely let your dr. decide for you. He will know your situation beter than anyone else. YOu seem to be doing good, I know you want to be there for the family, but think of yourself first, you don't want to risk hurting yourself. Prayers will go up for you and yours. Hugs, Bren

Old 03-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Pepper
I am sorry for your loss. I think you should call your Dr. I would guess that if you take it easy and stop and walk around you should be all right. Your Dr. would be able to tell you more than I can.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers

Old 03-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Pepper, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a similar situation at 4 months post-op, but I was going to have to travel 6 hours away. I asked my doctor what he thought, and he said he'd never tell me I couldn't go, but he WOULD tell me that if I did, I'd be paying for it in pain for days, if not [U]weeks[/U]! He said if I decided to go, I should stop every 30 minutes and get out and walk around for 5-10 minutes. I ended up not going, and I think I did the right thing. Shortly after that I had to be in the car for 2 hours and was in an awful lot of pain for the next 5 days. I could never have done the 6 hours!

My circumstances and my fusion are a bit different from yours, though. I wouldn't have been able to do at 3 months the things you were able to do at 3 weeks! You might be able to do it. If you do, just please be very careful! Take extra pain meds with you, and dose up before you get in the car. Like the others are saying, clear it with your doctor. He's been very cautious and conservative. If he clears it, I'm sure you'll be fine!

My sympathy to your family,
Emily

Old 03-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

My hubby says no way -- out of the question. However, I feel the need to be there so I guess I will leave it up to my doctor. I don't do well in the car so far 20 minutes in the car is about all I can handle before I need to stretch. I would definitely hate to ruin my surgeon's work at this point.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Pepper, I may be wrong, but I don't think you would hurt your surgery. I think it's more a matter of the extreme pain you'd end up in. Would you go and come back the same day, or stay overnight somewhere?

Take care,
Emily

Old 03-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Probably do a round trip - 6 hours total. I am a little scared about it.

I did something really stupid about and hour ago and I am in sooooo much pain. My dog started throwing up and I bent down without thinking to pull him off the carpet to the hardwood. He is 24 lbs. Need I say ouch.

I have to scream uncle right now......our life is !!

Last edited by ms_west; 03-10-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Oh, pepper, I know....that had to hurt! Praying your pain eases quickly.
Bren

Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Oh Pepper what a day you are having. I am so sorry. Not to mention the stress that you are under and your kids not feeling well either.

My prayers are with you. Keep us posted. Hope your pain settles tonight and you can get a good nights sleep.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I should be out pretty soon. I finally broke down and took 2 percocets and my soma. Not a good day. Tomorrow has to be better.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #12
(female)

Jungleland HB User

Diet,

I am sorry for your loss. My doc, pt and NS all said a resounding NO (hell no from the NS, LOL!) about me traveling nearly 4 hours each way yesterday for my hubby's uncle's funeral. I felt so guilty not going, but the NS said with my current return of symptoms, a long car ride would make it a pretty definete for a need for repeat surgery.

So, only thing I can say is: ask your surgeon! You really don't want to back slide at this point, but maybe your situation is much different than mine.

Again, sorry for your loss!!

Hugs,
Vickie
Diskectomy in 1994 L4-5
Re-do emergency L4-5 diskectomy on 2/11/07

Old 03-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hey pepper.

You wont ruin your surgeon's work by sitting overly long, it's truly just a pain issue.

I had to make a 2.5 hour car ride myself at 6 weeks. It was necessary for a job I had applied to and if I didnt appear for my screening it was bye bye.

I couldn't sit for too long by the point either, maybe a bit more than you.. say 35-40 mins then I was dying to get up and move.

But I made this journey with only 1 stop. And on the way back... I took my meds and we drove it straight through with no stops.

I was minorly more sore the next day but otherwise I was fine.

If in your heart, you truly feel the need to be there for this funeral, then by all means I say go. But remember this is also a stressful event and will take it's toll on you. BUT also staying home with the guilt feelings of not being there if you dont go.. will also add stress.

Whatever is decided.. you need to be a peace with your choice mentally. It will remove some of the stress associated with this difficult time and aid your healing.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a dear friend to me just a few weeks back myself. All the best to you and your family. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Pepper
How are you feeling this morning? I know this is a trying time for you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I have to agree with Justonofus. She has some execellent advice. Of course she always has excellent advice and always words it so well.

I layed in bed last night waiting for my night meds to kick in and for this dang hip to quit hurting, I was thinking about this board and everyone and how lucky I am to have all of you. Everyones experience has helped me so much.
I feel like everyone is my friend even though I probably will never meet any of you guys. Pepper you have helped me so much and was there when I was struggling with the descision of having surgery. You were there when I had surgery and now that I am recovering. Thank you. Also know that I am here for you. The nice thing about this board is we laugh together cry together and worry together.

I am sure you will make the right descision for you and your family and just want you to know I am there for you. Take it easy if you go and remember to take your meds. We all learned that being a hero and not taking meds does not work.

Hugs and love your way
Sandy

Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Vickie - I suspect my doctor will say hell no too! He is so conservative and this is the doc that sat down and talked to me about 20 minutes about how I needed to take it very slow after surgery which is why I think he is saying 12 weeks before driving, bending, lifting, twisting, laundry and cooking. He knows that I can be a wild one at times and that if he said 6 weeks, I would be doing it at 4 weeks. But I will at least give him a call and ask. I have agreed to abide by whatever decision he says.

Tammy - I suspect I won't hurt the work also but I am not sure that I want to take any chances flaring up the nerves again. I do have some nerve issues going on suprisingly in the foot - not anywhere else at the moment. Other than that I have those horrible back calf cramps on and off again. Your pain after the trip was it nerve related?

Clover - I am not really feeling that great. My hip is what is killing me. Very strange. I would have thought that it would have been the back. Of course, it is my right side which is where my leg pain was prior to surgery. I definitely have a large amount of weakness in that leg and am looking forward to building strength in it.

I am sorry about you hip pain -- I can totally relate today. Does walking help it any?

What do you mean that you will never meet us?? We are waiting on the beach for you.

Thank you everyone for your expressions of sympathy. Mr. Pepper's Uncle has been ill and in and out of a nursing home for awhile now. We found out last night, that Mr. Pepper was named the executor in the WILL and we had no knowlege of it. Suprise, Surprise.

Closed Thread