It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User
healing around the incision

Here is a question for the general public: I realize that I am almost 4 weeks along as of monday. The area around the incision is hard it seems; is this always the case? There is no sign of infection or anything all the tape is finally gone and stuff. IT looks good for all practical reasons. IS this a normal thing??

I am going to call my doctor on monday and see what they have to say about it. Here is another question: It seems that I can not finish a meal without having to get a kleenex and wiping my nose. It was never that way before; does or has this happened to any one else?? I will also ask about that monday...

As usual
Roy 47

Old 03-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User
Re: healing around the incision

Hi, Roy 47. I'm about 6 weeks post-surgery and my dr. said he closed the sub-dural incision with nylon which will always be there. I have a hard, knotty feeling on mine, too. I think I'll probably always have that feeling. I'll be curious to hear what your doc says.

No on the kleenex and eating. Maybe spring allergies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
(female)

Jungleland HB User

Hi, I am 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery and my scar is the same as you are explaining. There is the incision "line" and then there is about a 1/4 inch, or maybe a little smaller, area around the entire line area that is hard. I think this is the scar tissue that will soften up as we heal more and more. I remember my incisions from c/sections being the same way. Takes a pretty good long while for it to soften up completely.

As long as yours isn't red or opening or oozing and green or foul smelling stuff, you are healing the way you should. Definetly have the surgeon look at it if it is super painful or oozing anything.

Hugs,
Vickie
Diskectomy in 1994 L4-5
Re-do emergency L4-5 diskectomy on 2/11/07

Old 03-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

Thnx, for the quick posts, it seems like a lot of people are here tonight and that is nice in a way. Us experts can chat back and forth and help as much as we can for each other.

I have never had problems with alergies in the past; but at 47 years young it could be part of the changes that occurs in ones body. Here in HUSKER country the snow is almost all melted for now. It is something for me to consider though?

As usual,
Roy 47

Old 03-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am 5 weeks out and my incision sounds like yours.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-10-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Hi Roy,
Sounds like your incision is pretty much "normal". I, too was concerned because I thought mine was too hard also. I even had DH rub it to see if he could feel a lump, which you could, guess it was just scar tissue, I was worried that it was my screw or something LOL. I alos felt that tightness, dr. said it was perfectly normal. I am 10 months post op now and my scar is barely noticable and feels pretty good except I still feel some tightness especially when I am really tired. Dr. and friends who are ole pros at this tell me that we will always feel that tightness to some degree. It is not a real big deal though, piece of cake after the pain we have been thru. Have a good night. Bren

Old 03-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Hi Roy,

I also posted earlier today about the hard circle that surrounds the staples in my incision. I suspect that some of it is swelling, and some could be building scar tissue. Since I'm just almost two weeks out, I'm thinking that most of mine is swelling (I hope). It is also what is still causing the siatica pain that I am still experiencing, atleast that is what the nurse said. As for having had many other types of surgeries, the hardness does soften up, but it takes a while. Take care, ttultr, Usta

Old 03-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

I had alot of hardness around my incision and I also had a big lump on my back right above where the incision line started. I was told it was normal & would go away. My doc said the big lump was just swelliing of the soft tissue & muscle in there. It took about 2 months, but for me, all of it is gone now....it looks good, smooth & flat (except for the dark scar which I really don't care about). I also had the disintegrating interior stitches and tape all over the outside.

I did not have any sinus drippage afterwards, though.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
(female)

bailey07 HB User

Hi all,
I agree with all the comments. When an incision heals, that hardness is perfectly normal. That is probably scar tissue and will soften with time. Scars can take up to a year to fully heal and can continue to build scar tissue during that time. As the incision continues to have less pain and sensitivity, you can begin to do a gentle friction massage transversly over the incision to keep scar tissue from building. This also will help to desensitize the wound while the nerves are regenerating. The numbness to the surrounding skin is normal as well. The redness of the incision lightens as the wound heals. When you look at an incision, if you see an area that is puckering when you try to move the skin off to the side, that is scar tissue forming and you want to keep the incision from adhering down. Scar tissue is like a spider web that attaches to surrounding areas, but by doing soft tissue massage to the area when tolerable, can help. Everyone is different as to scar tissue. If you scar easily and scars last forever, your body probably builds scar tissue. Some people never scar and others can build what is called keloids, that is scar tissue that is overly building. Sorry for rambling.
Bailey07

Old 03-12-2007, 05:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hi roy,i was going to tell you basically just what baily did.when you get further out in your healing,when every bit of the incision is completely healed?just take some lotion and rub it into the area just massaging it and moving the skin in different directions,this will help to try and break up the hardness of the scar tissue there.my c spine and spinal cord surgeries caused alot of scar tissue and this really did help alot to bring it down and soften the area some.do this after,about maybe once a month or so,once you have actually gotten sdome of that hardness out?this just helps to keep it from reforming.

the worst area i ever got scar tissue was behind my knee last year after a surgery on the front and an open(big incision there)large L shaped incision that actually went over the entire back of my knee.this made an already really bad knee that has RSD much much harder to move.but after just a week of everyday massage with the lotion,that area really softened up alot and my range of motion came back much much more than it was before the massages.scar tissue is just something that comes along for the ride whenever you have any sort of surgery.just try the massage and see what results you get.

just exactly where(what area of the back) did you have your surgery done,was it the c spine per chance?Marcia

Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

Marica,

It was S1-L4-L5 fusion with cage and all the good things that go along with it. It is very nice here the last couple of days and I am out walking now for 50 minutes each day. Of course I walk around the house during the day as well.

Roy47

Closed Thread