It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

painfulback HB User
Talking weight loss after surgery

has anyone lost weight after surgrey people are telling me after i have surgrey i will lose weight i knda hope so

Old 03-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: weight loss after surgery

Actually, I hate to burst your bubble but I have gained due to the inactivity and having my Mom around. Lots of homemade desserts. YUMMY! Also I don't know how many boxes of candies my friends have brought to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I think I have also gained. Too much time on my hands and all the goodies just wont stay out of those hands.

Good luck with your surgery

Old 03-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
(male)

ejreiss HB User

After my first two back surgeries I didn't notice any weight change. After my third back surgery I lost about 35 pounds. I dropped from 205 to 170 pounds. I am a 39 year old male and I didn't even notice that I was losing that much weight because I didn't pay much attention to it. The only reason I lost so much weight was because I had really bad complications with the surgery and I was in extreme pain for a long time. I was very depressed and because of that I never seemed to eat much and didn't have a appetite.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Hi ejreiss,

Dont want to burst your bubble either, I've gained about 19lbs since Jan31 Since I was already heavy, I am considering gastric bypass to loose a lot of weight so that maybe I will never have back problems again. Here's to wishful thinking... Usta

Old 03-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

I am one of the few, I have lost weight and I can tell it. I think a lot of it is from going on the diabetic diet that I have found no choice in so it speak. I think that has a lot to do with it. I am not sure how much. I go see my general doctor for the class 2 Diabetic thing and weigh in there. I will post it on the 16th. My clothes are a lot loser and the wife and the teen age daughters are telling me that I am losing weight.

Roy 47

Old 03-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I had gastric bypass in 2002 and lost 165 pounds. Since my Sept back surgery I have gained 35 back. It is due to less activity, eating more and Neurontin.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

I had surgery in last Oct, and I actually lost weight the 4 months that followed. It was cool to feel my brace getting looser and looser each week. What I did was... I ate a good breakfast of Oatmeal with either some bananas or blueberries. Lunch was soup and/or salad, and dinner was a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones entree. My mom had to bring the food to my room (i was stuck upstairs for like a month) so I tried to keep it the same and easy. This was the 1st 6 weeks maybe. then I kept the same thing going but I was upping my PT and walking, so that helped too.

I hit a complication wall about 6 weeks ago, and have been bed bound, THUS, it looks as if I gained it back. I have been depressed about my status and started eating Cadbury Eggs as my pleasure source almost every day now. I assume my healthy habits are a memory at this point. I need to get back to them ASAP!

Good luck Friend!

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 03-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I lost 10 pounds in the beginning because my blood pressure stayed so low for so long that I felt too weak to eat and just had no energy or appetite. I gradually gained it back and have stayed right there ever since at my pre-surgery norm.

(Just want people to know that surgery doesn't necessarily mean weight gain. Don't be scared off from surgery out of fear that you'll lose control of your weight.)

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 03-12-2007 at 06:13 AM.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

[QUOTE=hessie28;2851652]I had gastric bypass in 2002 and lost 165 pounds. Since my Sept back surgery I have gained 35 back. It is due to less activity, eating more and Neurontin.[/QUOTE]

Hessie, one of the main reasons I want to get the bypass is so that I don't have to go through this back thing anymore. They told me I have degenerative disc disease as do most people at 40ish. I'm sorry that it didn't help you, and it discourages me. Since I do have other weight related issues I still plan to go through with it. Were you able to get down to your desired weight and did it help your back pain this time being smaller? Do you think that your back issues are weight related or do you have something else going on? Sorry if I seem nosey, just very curious. I think the neurontin generic gab. has been a lot of my problem this time too. It has really ballooned me, but I can't imagine not taking it because of the siatica pain which is really bothersome tonight. I hope you are feeling better since your surgery, are you able to do normal things again or are you too suffering the siatica thing because you're on the neurontin? Usta

Last edited by ustalaughalot; 03-11-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 PM   #11
(female)

hugg724 HB User

I had back surgery in Feb 2006. I watched my diet and carbs and lost 40 lbs after my surgery because I knew that I would be inactive and didn't need to gain any more weight.

In October, I had to have cervical surgery. I have gained 21 lbs. I can't blame it on the surgeries as much as my own pity party and what I am eating. I have been on Neurontin for a year and a half, I can't blame the weight gain on that or the Lyrica I am on now. I just ate alot of convenient food that was fattening.

Just try to prepare ahead of time for those quick and easy meals but not "junk" meals. Keep the junk food out because it will be too tempting to eat and sit and snack on.

Good luck with your surgery! hugs

Old 03-12-2007, 12:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I have decided to try and push this weight loss thing along myself. I believe tomorrow is the first day of a healthier beginning for me. I have to lose this weight and there is no sense putting it off any longer.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

After my surgery I did lose a little weight. Then I got really depressed and gained some weight. The past 6 weeks I have been watching what I eat. Eating three healthy meals a day and two snacks, walking two to three miles a day, plus doing my physical therapy twice a day. I am just starting to see a nice difference in my body ( I have nice curves now!! ) I was weighed by my doctor on Sat and I have lost 15 pounds so far. I have many more pounds to go but as I keep saying to myself about everything I do, I am trying.

Rose

Healing well after L4 - S1 TLIF 12/12/06

Old 03-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Congratulations on losing those 15 lbs, Rose!!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
(female)

Hosta Lover HB User

Well, I don't feel so bad now, I was having a real pity party having gained 20 pounds, surgery was 12-14-06 and I quit smoking using Chantix in October. I think it is a double whammy effect.

Anyway, I would love to walk 2-3 miles a day, I used to do that, but I am in so much pain. I need another fusion that should have been done in Dec. along with L4-5, now I need to have L3-4 fused.

Does anyone know if it would do damage to just work/walk through the pain and walk now, while I am waiting to have this second surgery? It will be late spring early summer before it will be scheduled.

Hosta Lover
who can't fit into any of her jeans

Closed Thread