It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Step backward...Sleepless night

My moment of stupidity has turned into my first sleepness night since surgery five weeks ago. Sitting here munching on saltines, drinking a glass of warm milk ( I despise milk), and drowning some percocets wallowing in self pity which is not normally like me. I just am reclining in the heated chair singing the blues.

My moment of stupidity was: dog was throwing up on carpet, I bent without thinking and pulled him to the hardwood, and felt a flash of pain up and down my spine.

Or is this simply because I have done to much? I have been walking alot and maybe I have just pushed myself to far.

Or it simply a very bad day and night???

My back is so very sore....its hard to explain. I have pain running from the top of my shoulders to my behind. Oh so very sore. I am back to 2 percocets every 4 hours and soma twice per day.

I hate to say anything to my hubby he has so much on his plate. I think I will ride it out until midweek and once the funeral is over then if I am still feeling even remotely the way I am I will place that call to my surgeon. Who will be his eyes for sure and be !!

How could I be so STUPID???

Sorry I just had to let it out and now I am done wallowing in my pity party. I just knew that you would understand my dear friends and not stand in judgement of my moment of stupidity.

Now where is that sun and colada guys??

Last edited by ms_west; 03-12-2007 at 12:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
(female)

bailey07 HB User
Re: Step backward...Sleepless night

Hi, Having a sleepless night as well. Oh I hope you haven't done anymore than a sprain in your back muscles. We all have moments and just forget or just do it anyway knowing we will pay later. My sleepless night has been from wondering if I'm going to regret having surgery. I know you must have went through this pre-surgery fear. I overdid in my house this weekend trying to get prepared for my 27th ALIF of L45 and S1. Knew it the moment I layed down in bed. My thoughts are with ya. Our DH go through alot with us don't they. They are our heroes because they truely know when we are in pain and still hang in there. Hope you can get some rest and wake up with less pain.
Bailey07

Old 03-12-2007, 03:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=bailey07;2852234]Hi, Having a sleepless night as well. Oh I hope you haven't done anymore than a sprain in your back muscles. We all have moments and just forget or just do it anyway knowing we will pay later. My sleepless night has been from wondering if I'm going to regret having surgery. I know you must have went through this pre-surgery fear. I overdid in my house this weekend trying to get prepared for my 27th ALIF of L45 and S1. Knew it the moment I layed down in bed. My thoughts are with ya. Our DH go through alot with us don't they. They are our heroes because they truely know when we are in pain and still hang in there. Hope you can get some rest and wake up with less pain.
Bailey07[/QUOTE]

Bailey without a doubt I do not regret surgery. It has greatly reduced my back pain. I have not felt this good until my moment of stupidity in over 3 years. Pre-surgery fear is a common fear. Please let us know any fears that you have or questons and we will be so glad to respond to them. We like to chat that is for sure. Thanks for responding and I pray your pain and mine ease up soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
(male)

webdude HB User

Hi Diet.... Dont blame yourself for this... It is not being stupid at all.... It is just doing a normal thing that people with normal backs do... It is so easy to have your back go out on you... Whether it is reaching for your dog, or bending over to pick up a pen (like me) or reaching over to prevent your kid's glass from spilling.... These are just things that happen, and unfortunately, those of us with bad backs suffer from a simple thing like this..

Funny thing is that I can ride my bike, lift some weights, do work around the house, walk, drive, etc... but if I try to slowly turn over in bed, or bend over to grab a sock on the floor, it can cause me pain..

Usually, it takes 3 or 4 days for this sort of thing to start settling down.. If it does, then dont sweat it and just let it heal, and start slowly doing activities.. Otherwise, definately see your doc..

God Bless,
Maurizio

Old 03-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]
Hey Pepper , now what have you gone and done to yourself ? I leave for the weekend and come back to here your in pain..? I wouldn't worry to much unless it doesn't go away,,You PROBABLY just pulled your muscle's around and your not ready for that yet..I have alot of sleepless night's ,last night was one , then I got my wife up late for work because I didn't change the alarm ..

Sorry if I missed something , but did your husband have a death in the family or something ? I hope not .

Sorry your having a ruff go Pepper..Anything I can help with ?

[/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Good morning, Pepper. I hope you eventually got some sleep.

There are normal ups and downs following these big surgeries, good days and bad days. Might be a combination of all the things you mentioned, plus the stress that you're under with the loss you and your husband are dealing with, as well as sick kids. I hope you can let yourself have more rest for a few days than you've been needing. Sounds like you did the best thing with the warm milk, upping your meds, and leaning on heat. Maybe this was God's little nudge in case you still had any inclinations of taking this trip.

And no, you're definitely not stupid! You're the mom! It was a reflex action, and we've probably all done things like that during recovery. Unfortunately, yours was pretty extreme. I cringed and "ouched" out loud when I read that post. Oh my, it hurts to even imagine that!

Hope you're back to "normal" soon! (People keep asking me when I think I'll be back to normal. I can only say that I need to discover what the new normal is.)

Blessings,
Emily

Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Dear Diet, i have had my share of sleepless nights too. Ususally after alot of activity, and sometimes i just can't get comfortable no matter what. I also figured out that percocet tend to keep me awake so I try to avoid those at bedtime. My pm perscribed ambien for me and it works great!! but if you don't want to go the prescription route a couple of benadryl work pretty well. Take it easy for a couple of days and everything will resolve itself. Dee

PS I was sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"][B]

Maurizo,
Hey your not putting pressure on that spine are you ? Man if I were to lift anything I get that shooting pain across my back and down my leg...Youch ! [/B][/SIZE]

Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
(female)

italiandachshund HB User

Do normal things is not stupid, sometimes I feel I could never do normal things again...saturday I went to the cinema, after one hour I felt somenthing was wrong..mhhh...I resisted and then, i paid! All sunday on bed and today my son is back from his vacation in Egypt so I took a lot of pain medicament to welcome him.... and this is just 7 weeks after L5 S1 fusion...we Have to be patient, thanks God I sleep in the night, taking some pills, I hope one day we'll be out of medicines and do normal things, like normal people do..bless you!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Good morning DDP,
You are not stupid! All of us have done the instant reflex thing at one time or another. I am certain that is what is causing your pain and sleeplessness along with the other stress that you are going thru. You have a lot on your plate also. It does usually take 3-4 days or so for the pain to settle back down after we forget and do something like that. Here's to praying for a better day for you and yours.
Hugs, Bren

Old 03-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Emily, I think the LORD was just kicking me in the back to tell me to slow down and not attend this funeral.

patrizia64 - I could not imagine sitting in a theatre for one and half hours. Ouch! Hope you are feeling better today.

Shawley - I have another thread entitled Should I or Shouldn't I? My hubby's Uncle passed away. We have had 3 major things go on the last week and let me scream U N C L E !!

Today I feel just terrible and am doing the resting, heat, ice, and popping pills thing. I too think it is just muscles because it is up and down the entire spine. On the bright side, I am not having any nerve pain.

Thanks Everyone for all your condolesences (sp??), words of encouragement, and telling me I am not stupid!!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #12
(male)

RM8251 HB User

Hey Pepper,

Ouch ! Hope your pain doesn't get any worse.

You're not stupid ! Stupidity occurs when you repeat the same mistakes over and over again and we all know you won't do this again. Be careful !

Like you say it could be a blessing in disguse. That trip could have been worse for you. They say the man up above works in mysterious ways.

Today I go for my pre-op tests.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all do the twist ? Most of you may be to young to remember the twist.
Sending a couple more no-pain prayers your way.
Richard

Old 03-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"][B]
Pepper,
I'm sorry for your husband loss..And for your pain..But I'm glad your nerve pain isn't bad.. Your having the worse luck and I'm having pretty good luck..We won $500.00 yesterday at our church..On a rip off ticket. Now I can afford to drive to see my Dr.

I like that answer you wrote to me about the ATV down the isle of my daughters wedding..That would be so Shawley huh .. [/B][/SIZE]

Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Sorry to hear you are not feeling the best. At five weeks I was in some pain myself. I was doing way too much. I am thinking that you are doing way too much!! Not to mention pulling the dog!! ouch! Don't feel stupid, lord knows I have tired to do things I should not have even thought about doing yet. I found when I rested more I felt sooooo much better! I am now at 11 weeks post fusion and I am now feeling pretty darn good. Get some good rest Pepper, your body needs it! Read a couple a good books! Hoping that you are feeling like your old self in no time. Take care.

Rose

Healing well after L4 - S1 TLIF 12/12/06

Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you Richard, Shawley, and Rose!! I laid down and told my children we would finish school later and I fell asleep for almost 2 hours. Need I say they were excited and now there is no way I can rope them in for the remainder of their studies today.

Rose, I think I did overdo a little yesterday and that may be contributing to the pain on top of pulling the dog over to the hardwoods.

I feel a smiget better.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-12-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Closed Thread