It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

twopurringcats HB User
Lower back trouble..can't do much of anything but rest..arrgggghh!

I have an appointment for a CT scan this week, but it is really frustrating for me to be so unable to do even the most normal of things (sit up, lift things, etc). Researched this throbbing pain online here, and it might be sciatica, pain shooting down my left leg, from deep pain inside my butt. O-U-C-H.
Does anyone have any tips for coping with these kinds of pains? I take ibuprofin, sleep on the floor (lately, it's the only place it's comfortable to lie on, believe it or not) and am not lifting anything. I'm only 43 but feel like I'm 100. This is really frustrating. I want it to go away, but it's been two weeks, and the pain is still there.

Last edited by twopurringcats; 03-12-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User
Re: Lower back trouble..can't do much of anything but rest..arrgggghh!

First thng,

Welcome to the board. I wondered if you have tried going to a HOT tub (the HOT TUB) worked some for me prior to the surgery. Or if heat makes it worse, perhaps ice packs of some type.

My mother in law in her early 70's has sicitia and the doctor told her to get rocks and put them in a bag and sit on them. She tried it and she said it is suprising how much it helps her. I know that sounds like old old back woods stuff. She was at my house over the weekend and she seems to be doing okay and told me that it feels a lot better.

I hope you get some relief and other ideas from the other people on this board.

The people here are the best of the best...
Roy 47

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

It sounds like it could be sciatica. I am actually having a bout of it right now and it is, indeed, very painful! I just saw my doc today about it since mine's been going on since last Thursday...he gave me some meds for the pain but I'm actually typing here standing up <LOL> b/c it feels better. Definitely do not do any lifting or bending at the waist or lift anything heavy. Like Roy mentioned, you might want to try icing the area (20 min. at a time) and then try some moist heat. One may work better than the other. Also try not to sit too much because sitting is the worst thing if you have sciatica from a disc problem. Sitting actually causes the most pressure in your spine. It's better to sit on a harder surface.
You might want to try to do some stretching IF you can, though sometimes stretching can cause the sciatica pain to jolt through you. In my case, that is what's happening. When you lay down you might want to try elevating your legs and if you lay on your side, put a pillow or towel or something between your knees. Or try sitting in a recliner or even sleeping there if need be. Try taking some over the counter anti-inflammatories such as Ibuprofen or Aleve. Also, since it can be very difficult to get dressed with that pain, you can use a long shoe-horn to get shoes on or even a grabber device to help you put socks & pants on (if you can bend far enough to do it without alot of pain). You might also want to try sitting on a donut cushion to take some stress off your lower spine while sitting, though sometimes that can cause pain in the back of the thigh if the sciatica is going through that area.
Those are pretty much the only home treatments I know of...maybe someone else will reply with other ideas.

Other than that, your doc can give you a script for more potent pain relievers and probably have you go to physical therapy to help resolve it. Even if that doesnt help, there are still other options like injections, etc..that can give you relief. Let us know how your ct results come out or if you have any other questions.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

The only other thing I can think of is maybe trying some Bengay on your legs when they hurt. Everyone else pretty much covered. At this point, it is ice alternating with heat, laying around, no lifting, no bending, no twisting, etc.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

twopurringcats HB User
Great ideas, thanks :)

Your ideas are wonderful, and I will try them. Thank you. I am in such pain that I can't do any stretching, but am walking around here and there. Yes, sitting makes lightening bolts of pain shoot up and down my leg and lower back. I am so frustrated to be flat like this. I work at the computer all day from home for my company, but since I can't sit, I had to have a friend pull my recliner over to the desk, then take the slab of memory foam off my bed and lie it on top, since even sitting in the recliner alone hurt. The memory foam has me laying flat as I type this, here at my desk. Unreal the lengths I have to go to, in order to work I ordered an adjustable back brace in the mail, to see if that will help support my back while I work, one oof those reaching claws is a good idea, too. Sitting too much caused this, in my totally amateur opinion.
My heart goes out to anyone who has this kind of problem chronically, it's driving me crazy for the short time I've had it (about two weeks).

Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Try not to do alot of walking other than your normal amount of walking especially when the pain is flared up....you need to let your back and muscles relax.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
(female)

syrinx2112 HB User

I agree with DDP on this one. I know that you haven't gone through a recent surgery, but I thought that I might suggest something. When I had my microdisectomy, I had to grade papers and such while I was recovering. I had to do this standing. So, I used a table and a upsidedown laundry basket to have all of my things at a height that I could stand at not hunched over at all. If your pain is really bad standing also, then this won't help you probably. I just wanted to let you know what I had done in the past. I remember before my surgery that the agony was extreme, so hard to find a comfortable position. I hope you get relief soon. Please keep us posted.

Angie

Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi there. Personally I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE BACK BRACE for you at this time. You could be causing more harm than good for yourself. The back brace may initially feel like it's helping you but you will also be prohibiting the proper use of those back muscles at the same time. I honestly would not use the brace without a doctor's recommendation first.

I would contact whoever ordered your CT Scan and see what medications that can be prescribed for you to help you ease some of that muscle spasming you have going on there and a better pain medication to help you cope better and possibly an anti-inflammatory or prednisone medrol pack (for quick inflammation reduction).

There is no reason for you to carry on in that much pain when there are things out there to help you cope better.

Walking is a catch 22 with Sciatica. Walking strengthens the back, leg muscles, but can also aggrevate sciatica all the more.

I would try and not overdo anything at the moment and be ever constantly aware of your spine's position, use aids as you can to limit any bending, or twisting, and try and eliminate any lifting of anything of substance for awhile.

As the others have mentioned, use what works to bring you relief, ie - heat or ice or both. Ice reduces inflammation, offers some numbing effects, and can be quite soothing. Heat brings blood to the effected area and will increase ciruclation also. Heat often helps to initally loosen up muscles.

Hang inthere. This is not an easy fix as you have probably already read and are experiencing. This requires much patience on your part. Hang in there and I do hope you get some better relief. Please keep us posted. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
(female)

twopurringcats HB User

[QUOTE=Justoneofus;2854201]Hi there. Personally I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE BACK BRACE for you at this time. You could be causing more harm than good for yourself. The back brace may initially feel like it's helping you but you will also be prohibiting the proper use of those back muscles at the same time. I honestly would not use the brace without a doctor's recommendation first.

I would contact whoever ordered your CT Scan and see what medications that can be prescribed for you to help you ease some of that muscle spasming you have going on there and a better pain medication to help you cope better and possibly an anti-inflammatory or prednisone medrol pack (for quick inflammation reduction).

There is no reason for you to carry on in that much pain when there are things out there to help you cope better.

Walking is a catch 22 with Sciatica. Walking strengthens the back, leg muscles, but can also aggrevate sciatica all the more.

I would try and not overdo anything at the moment and be ever constantly aware of your spine's position, use aids as you can to limit any bending, or twisting, and try and eliminate any lifting of anything of substance for awhile.

As the others have mentioned, use what works to bring you relief, ie - heat or ice or both. Ice reduces inflammation, offers some numbing effects, and can be quite soothing. Heat brings blood to the effected area and will increase ciruclation also. Heat often helps to initally loosen up muscles.

Hang inthere. This is not an easy fix as you have probably already read and are experiencing. This requires much patience on your part. Hang in there and I do hope you get some better relief. Please keep us posted. Tammy[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for letting me know. I will not rely on the brace. This is scary to be so incapacitated for this long and I hope that the CT scan shows something minor. I'm not walking much now that you all have showed me that I could be aggravating things by doing too much of it. I'm wedged into a fairly comfortable position on my foam-covered recliner, with a pillow between my legs, a wedge behind my back too. As long as I don't move much, I'm ok. Sleeping is a nightmare, try to turn and POW, I see stars.

Carolyn

Last edited by twopurringcats; 03-12-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Carolyn,
When you roll over, make sure you use the log roll. You know, where you roll as one piece. You don't want to twist your back and aggravate any other areas also.

Just one more pieve of advice that we all live with....

hang in there....
Jill[/COLOR]

Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
(female)

twopurringcats HB User

[QUOTE=ibake&pray;2855016][COLOR="Navy"]Carolyn,
When you roll over, make sure you use the log roll. You know, where you roll as one piece. You don't want to twist your back and aggravate any other areas also.

Just one more pieve of advice that we all live with....

hang in there....
Jill[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks for that advice, I roll to my side when I need to get up, so not to twist myself, very slowly. Is that what a log roll is, staying flat? I move as little as possible, just picking up a cup of coffee is painful in my side, so strange! Tomorrow I go to the doctor, can't wait.

Carolyn

Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Yes, you roll to your side. Push up on your forearm to raise yourself slowly swing you legs down to the floor. Try using a piece of plastic like a trash bag under your hips -- it makes sliding easier.

Take care.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Carolyn,

I agree with everything that the previous posters have suggested. I had L3 L4 disc herniation shaved off two weeks ago yesterday and I too am in extreme siatic pain. It feels like someone took a good hard swing with a baseball bat to the lower right quadrant of my back, just above the bum cheek, another swing to the inside and outside of my hip, and yet another good wack across the top of my thigh. I am having sharp shooting pains through and from my knee to my ankle. The skin in the shin area feels like it is on fire and doesn't respond well to anything touching it at all. I saw PA today and she said that it sounds like swelling and muscle spasm. In her words, she said "and the nerves are really ****** off right now". They have increased my Gabapenten from 600mg 3x a day to 900mg 3x a day. They have also put me on cymbalta(sp?) which of course they didn't have in stock today at the drug store and I can't get until tomorrow after 4pm. They refilled my vallium for muscle spasm and told me to only take the percocet if the pain is keeping me from resting so that it will put me out for a while. She said no un-necessary walking or other activity until this subsides, to rest, rest, rest. Pain meds according to the PA do not affect nerve pain which is why they didn't give me anything else for pain. I am sorry that you are having such pain, I hope this gives you some ammo for your md appt tomorrow. Good luck, Usta

Last edited by ustalaughalot; 03-13-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
(female)

twopurringcats HB User

[QUOTE=ustalaughalot;2855537]Carolyn,

I agree with everything that the previous posters have suggested. I had L3 L4 disc herniation shaved off two weeks ago yesterday and I too am in extreme siatic pain. It feels like someone took a good hard swing with a baseball bat to the lower right quadrant of my back, just above the bum cheek, another swing to the inside and outside of my hip, and yet another good wack across the top of my thigh. I am having sharp shooting pains through and from my knee to my ankle. The skin in the shin area feels like it is on fire and doesn't respond well to anything touching it at all. I saw PA today and she said that it sounds like swelling and muscle spasm. In her words, she said "and the nerves are really ****** off right now". They have increased my Gabapenten from 600mg 3x a day to 900mg 3x a day. They have also put me on cimbalta(sp?) which of course they didn't have in stock today at the drug store and I can't get until tomorrow after 4pm. They refilled my vallium for muscle spasm and told me to only take the percocet if the pain is keeping me from resting so that it will put me out for a while. She said no un-necessary walking or other activity until this subsides, to rest, rest, rest. Pain meds according to the PA do not affect nerve pain which is why they didn't give me anything else for pain. I am sorry that you are having such pain, I hope this gives you some ammo for your md appt tomorrow. Good luck, Usta[/QUOTE]

Usta,

I hope you feel better soon, hopefully the meds are helpful! I'm lying here on a slab of memory foam, on top of my recliner. It is comfortable as long as I don't move. Yes, I relate to the feeling of being hit multiple times in the side and rear with a baseball bat! I'm too sore to drive, so tomorrow I take a taxi to the doctor for the first time. Moving at all is painful, so I dread sitting in the waiting room at the hospital. It will be great to be done with tests and get some medicine other than Ibuprofin, which doesn't do much for me.
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it

Carolyn

Old 03-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
(male)

crookedback HB User

Hi Carolyn... so sorry you've had to join our group, but this board has been an awesome help for me!

I have had 3 herniations in 20 plus years so I do know your pain... I would strongly recommend you call your doctor to see if he can get you some meds for pain & also a muscle relaxer. You will not become an addict & it will actually help you heal faster as the muscle spasms slows the healing process. My last herniation was so severe that I had to go to the ER in an ambulance & it was all because I fought getting med's.

Also, I would really try a heating pad as this has given me great relieve thru the years & I like to use it 1st thing in the am too relax the muscles.

One last thing that I started using at night is a small round pillow (a small throw pillow would work as well) that I place under my stomach to give supprt & to keep my back flat.

Hope this helps & call your Doctor for some med NOW & stay flat it will heal with time!

take care... Dave!

Closed Thread