It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

olliedoll HB User
Question When will I ...

When will the doctor release me from no bending lifting and twisting? I am about 3 and 1/2 months out from TLIF fusion surgery on l4/l5. Just wondering about the time frame.

Ollie

Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: When will I ...

Ollie! We were wondering where you were!! Hope you are healing well and feeling good.

My doctor told me 12 weeks - I am only 5 weeks out so all I can say is this what he told me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

olliedoll HB User

Thanks Pepper. I am healing pretty well I think. Each week I feel stronger and happier. I am 12 weeks out this week I believe. I've kinda lost count . I am walking everyday and able to go out on dates with my bf again without crying in pain. I am doing laundry again. I still have someone cleaning my apartment for me though. I am still out of work for two more weeks hopefully. I go back to the doctor next week and I am hoping he will let me go back to work. I miss the kids and miss being around other people on a daily basis. I read your post and just wanted you to know that the 5th and 6th weeks were my roughest weeks. Just take it very easy and keep on top of your pain meds. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Why do you think the 5th and 6th were the roughest? Was it because you felt better and were becoming more active?? Just curious.

I hope your doctor lets you get back in the swing of things. I am sure you are ready being 12 weeks out.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-12-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
(female)

olliedoll HB User

I hope so too! I think those weeks were the roughest because of exactly what you said. I was trying to way too much way too soon. When I told the doctor about how I was feeling he said all he wanted me to do was walk, rest, and grade papers. That's exactly what I did and soon I was feeling a lot better. Just remember you will have plenty of time to do everything that you want to do later. Right now is your time to relax and recover.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Ollie - I am starting to wonder that myself. I had a TLIF 11 weeks ago on L4/S1 also. Don't know if I really want to do to much of those things yet anyway. The 5th and 8th week where pretty rough for me too. I think just doing to much and not rest as much as I should have been. Glad you are feeling so good Ollie! I have to say I am starting to feel pretty darn good myself. Nice to see you here again! If you find out out about BLT from your doc before I do let me know.

Rose

Old 03-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

It is so darn difficult to resign yourself to being a bump on the log!! Thank you so much for the reassurance. As I recover it seems harder at times than that first couple weeks of recovery.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Hi!

The bending and lifting will be a gradual thing. It really depends on how and if you are fusing. I am one of those that drops everything so my husband went out and bought me a grabby thing (CVS, Walgreens) and it was a great help. I still bent way too often. My last appt was in December and that was 7 months post op. That was the first time he changed my lifting from a gallon of milk to approx 15-20 lbs. I was still not fusing at that time either so everything had to be slow slow slow. I haven't gone back to work yet but I am ready to. They want you to start back part time for about 3 weeks and ease into full days/weeks. I have to find a new job so that won't likely be an option for me.

Good luck with your recovery.

Sincerely,
Lisa

Old 03-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Ollie,

My Dr. had told me no lifting, bending or twisting for atleast 16 weeks, and it was more like 20 weeks before I started, and at that it was minimal. The amount of weight to begin with as between 5-10 lbs. Gradually, I got up to 20lbs.

Now, I lift when it's necessary and most times pushing it to where I'm paying for it later. My fusion was 2 years ago and I still bend with caution or it hurts.

Follow what your Dr. says on the BLT, because you really want to try and ensure when it's safe enough for you. Take care.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Hi ollie
I missed you and was worried about you. Glad you are feeling better.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Ollie, glad to see you back and fairly mobile.

I saw my doctor last month on my 2 year check. He told me that not to lift more than my therapist had worked me up to...12 lbs. right now. He also said that I will never be able to lift more than 40 lbs. He also told me not to push/move furniture. (drat).

I am extremely cautious when I bend, and rarely pick up anything heavier than a say 1-2 lb. weight. I do not want to go through that three week spell again thank you very much.

I have learned how to do a swivel in the car to see over my left shoulder(thank heavens for leather seats that are smooth). I have more motion on my right, but that doesn't say much. My saving grace is/are my hamstrings that are so flexible...

As for BLT, I fearfully followed that to the letter..this is one that the more you follow it, the better you seem to heal....

glad you are back![/COLOR]

Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
(female)

olliedoll HB User

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I have been keeping up with you all - I just haven't been posting. The main thing is that I want to be able to bend over and pick up a sock on the floor or some other stuff that inevitably (sp?) ends up on the floor. I have the grabbers but it always turns out that I have to search to find it because I can't remember where I left it. I know this is dumb but I have to remind myself that I still cannot bend over to pick up that pair of socks that I clumsily dropped when getting dressed. Right now I have not lifted anything over a gallon of milk. I will start PT when I go back to the doctor next week. I'm very nervous about this. Anyway, thanks for the replies. I wish you all pain free days.

Ollie

Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
(male)

fusionman HB User

Hi Olliedoll,

Its great that you will get to see your doctor next week...then you can find out if your ready to bend or not? In the meantime please be careful...you don't need any flare ups.

Are you nervous about having PT? I have a pescription for PT but hesitate to start. I'm just 7 weeks post-op and don't want them to push me too hard and get hurt. Anyhow, best of luck with the doctors visit and stay well.

fusionman

Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hi,
I'm still waiting to do all that and it been since October 2004 since my fusion . You have a while..

Hope your feeling well after your surgery

Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

I have been in PT since I was 5 weeks post op ( I am now 11 weeks ) I go 3 times a week. PT has really helped feel alot stronger, my therapist is wonderful she never has me do anything I don't feel comfortable doing at this point. Walking, PT and resting hopefully equal fusion and no more back pain!

Rose

Healing well after L4 - S1 TLIF 12/12/06

Closed Thread