It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

alice77 HB User
good injection, sort of...

Hi all,

I had my second steroid injection today, and after the trauma of the last one, am glad to say that this one was a walk in the park (not that that would be that pleasant at the moment).

I was so nervous beforehand, but all the folk at the hospital were really cheery which helped a lot, then just before they gave me the gas, my consultant came in and I was so relieved to see him (the last time it was another doctor I didn't know and it took ages and was excruciating...). So, he told me he was going to do something different (last time was a transforaminal) because there's two very compressed nerves there now and the herniation was "really very large" now...anyhow, so I prepared myself for the worst, he popped in the needle, I felt one wee shoot of pain, and then he scanned, brough me out of the tube, injected the cortisone and that was it...next to no pain throughout and over in jig time! I told him how the last time it was sheer agony and he said he took a different trajectory this time (though, I don't know if it was that or just having a more experienced pair of hands).

Anyhow, its really been very sore all day today, since about 2 hours after I got home, but only in the butt, legs and feet, - no where near the level of muscle pains in the back like the last time.

So anyhow, he didn't seem that convinced that it would work (he kept saying how large it was and was surprised I wasn't really having much pain in my right leg), but for now I'm happy to wait and see how it goes...I still have hope.

Anyhow, I really just wanted to put a postive injection story on the board. People were asking at the time of my last one how it was, and all I could do was scare the ****** out of them, so to all youse out there who I frightened, the sincerest of apologies! I guess it all comes down who does the injection, and where/how exactly they do it. It could be 20mins of torture or 10 mins of strolling along the beach...

All the best
Alice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: good injection, sort of...

Alice so glad your injection went smoothly today and I pray that this gives you some much needed relief soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Hi Alice,

Glad to hear that the injection went smoothly for you. Hopefully, it will get you pain free days..weeks..or months. I forget, what level did you get your shots at? I hope you have a good night.

Angie

Old 03-13-2007, 04:03 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

alice77 HB User

Hi ANgie,

Thanks for the kind words..

It was L5/S1. The first time the doctor (still wonder if it might have been a student - its a teaching hospital) sort of went in from just to the side and above I think, this time (looking at the scans) the consultant radiologist went in from slightly below and centre... disc is herniated to the left and narrowing the foramina, but my neurosurgeon said there's a joint problem causing the stenosis...who knows...

Out of interest when a disc is bulging/herniated to the front (i.e. away from the spinal canal) anyone knows if it causes problems? Mine seems to be a little into the canal but massively to the side and out the way (there's not much disc between the vertebra at all). L4/L5 is doing the same but to a lesser extent.

All feels not too bad today. Sure hope it works!

Thanks, Alice

Old 03-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Hello Alice, I am glad your injection went better this time. I have my 2nd one on the 27th I hope it works this time.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

alice77 HB User

Thanks Rachel (and everyone else of course, you guys are such darlings)

Any further news on your surgery and pain relief? Hope you're feeling better these days, enough to carry you through to the next jab (just 2 weeks for you now).

Good luck
ALice

Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Alice
Thank you so much for posting your experience. I also had a couple of injections and a rhizotomy (nerve burning) These things did bring some relief and helped me get thru a few more months before surgery.

I have to say my experiences were awful. For the injections they gave me nothing and for the rhizotomy I had a mild sedation.

The pain for the first couple of days afterward is annoying. I alternated the ice and heat. I found out later that the heat probably isn't the best thing to do.

Good luck and keep up posted on the success of the injection

Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hi Alice,
Thought I would share a story that just happened to me last month.
As many know I was recieving injections "Transforaminal" my Painmanagement Dr. gave me the first one that seemed to help for a couple weeks, well my PM Dr. left and there was this other guy who gave me the injections (2) that didn't work for me , the first one actually made me real sick for some reason ,well the other day I went to see my PM Dr. that did the first injection , I told him about it and he was ticked off at that other guy at the pain clinic because he wasn't supposed to be giving injections..BOY was I mad..he said he was turning him in to the medical board..

Now I'm trying spinalcord stimulator to see how the pain will be.
Sorry you had a ruff go at it. How's the weather down under ?

Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

alice77 HB User

Hi Shawley,

I remember a problem with your injections...didn't the guy wander off during it for lunch and a coffee or something

Its so hard with these things to know what's "normal" - during and after- and what isn't. I find that its worse few a couple of days regardless. Not necessarily all the time, but a few other symptoms cropped up a couple of times this time and last, (mild incontinence at both ends, period-type pains), but nothing that lasted. Then last time, things just settled down to how they were pre-injection. I hope by reading these experiences some others out there will have a better idea what to expect. All I was told by the docs were "it'll take a few days" and "its not normal for it to get much worse on the day" and "its normal to be a littlle worse for a day or two"...wish I knew what the difference between little worse and much worse was! Well, I just wish I could offer some hope that they work...maybe in a few days, huh.

By the way, we've had some glorious spring days over here in France. Fairly mild but lots of sun, of all the spring flowers are popping up in the garden, and the birds have started nesting in the trees...Finally things are warming up!

All the best with this simulator thingy Shawley. Hope it works. Best of luck for the wedding too.

Alice

Old 03-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Thanks Alice,
Hope you get some relief from the minjection's. I was thinking you lived in Australia for some reason..lol .

I would love to see France before I kick the bucket

Old 03-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

alice77 HB User

Hey shawley...the french would love you - go to the south and they'll take you wild boar hunting. You'd love it.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

Alice,
My herniation (T6-7 - which may have different implications than lower spine) was protruding posterior and right, so that it was making an indentation on my spinal cord. I really hope the injections get you disc back where it belongs. If not, I'd really encourage you to have good people review your MRI's. The condition of that disc was not observed for quite a while during my "less invasive" treatment plan. When a few people really looked at that one disc, it became apparent why nothing was relieving my pain until the direct pressure came off my spinal cord. In a way, it was a relief to know why no treatment seemed to work. But, I ended up having surgery, too.

I will send you good, compliant-disc vibes. Let us know how you're feeling!
- Margaret

Closed Thread