It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

cloudsillusions HB User
Question for blueatlas about list

Hi. I posted this earlier, but it got deleted because I didn't put it in the right place. I put it on the one at the top about less stress on your back around the house. I was recently diagnosed with DDD and am in physical therapy. I am desparately trying to take the very best care of my back that I can and am on a mission to avoid surgery. I am very overwhelmed.

I have been reading a lot of posts for the past few weeks, but I finally registered so I could ask you how you split up your household jobs into managable little jobs each day. I'm just so overwhelmed and confused. Could you post your list of how you did that? I know everyone's house is different, but we probably all do pretty much the same types of things to keep them up. I think it would help me to see your list.

Thank you.

Cloudsillusions

Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Question for blueatlas about list

Hi Cloudsilllusions, and welcome to the board!

I've found such great help here. I hope you do, too. I'm sorry for your pains, though, and wish you the best in your mission. You'll find lots of company here from folks who truly do understand.

I'd be glad to share my list with you. Everyone's list will be a little different, but this is what works for me:

First, the kids' jobs, which I rotate each time:
1) vacuum all carpets, shake out doormats.
2) clean powder room, dust house
3) clean kids' bathroom, empty all small trash cans

I don't expect the kids to do as good a job as I would do, but I do expect it to be decent. Our rule is that if I have to send them back to do the job again, they get to do an extra job for me. Then I'll either give them some extra thing like picking up branches from the yard after a storm or I'll give them one of the jobs off my own list. They almost always do their jobs right the first time!

My jobs:

Monday: Clean out old leftovers from refrigerator and wipe off shelves as needed, wipe down kitchen surfaces, wipe out microwave. (There is nothing like spring cleaning going on here! When I say wipe off as needed, I'm not talking about emptying anything out. I just wipe up obvious drips. It takes me all of a minute at most.) Monday works for me for this job because Sunday evening is always fend-for-yourself leftover night. Whatever's still around on Monday needs to go.

Tuesday: Capture cobwebs, dust baseboards and non-kid places, windex glass surfaces. (I have a 6 foot long poofy duster that I walk around the house with. Takes me about 5 minutes to walk all through the house and get rid of any cobwebs. I have a long handled swiffer duster that I can walk around with without bending to get the baseboards, picture frames, and all those little places that kids don't notice or that I'd rather they left alone. And I rarely clean entire windows. I just spot clean as needed and clean the TV's. Again, takes me only about 5-10 minutes.)

Wednesday: Swiffer kitchen floor, dustmop or swiffer wood floors, straighten up pantry.

Thursday: Clean master bath (except the shower, which is still too much for me. That gets assigned to one of the kids), wash towels, wash sheets if needed, straighten up linen closets. (I don't believe towels need to be washed after every use. Others like to do that, but I figure you're just drying a squeeky clean body, nothing dirty, so they can be used a few times.)

Friday: Do laundry, straighten hall closet, check porch, deck, and garage for sweeping need, replenish scented oils. (Years ago, I figured out that if everyone had at least 2 weeks worth of socks and underwear, etc., I could miss a laundry day if I was having a bad week. That was a wonderful decision for me!)

Saturday: water plants, do whatever didn't get done during the week.

Sunday: day of rest.

You might notice that ironing isn't on my list. I gave that up years ago! Way too stressful on my back. I make sure that whatever clothing we buy can come out of the dryer and onto a hanger and never need ironing. I can handle that occasional item, but no regular ironing for me!

I've also found that the more regularly I do these jobs, the easier they are because they haven't had a chance to get real bad. But I don't let myself get tied to my list. If I don't have the energy, I'm just hurting too much that day, or I've got to much else on my plate, it can slide! (But I do love walking into a nice clean house that smells good!)

I hope this is helpful for you. I hope you'll keep reading and find other help here, too. Plenty of people are ready and willing to share their own experiences with you.

Blessings,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

cloudsillusions HB User
Re: Question for blueatlas about list

Emily, thank you very much for taking the time to write all that out. I'm sorry I didn't come back sooner to thank you.

It was really kind of overwhelming when I first read your list. but I decided to give it a try anyways. I modified it a little bit here and there, but it's been several weeks now and I discovered that you're right. It's so much easier to do a little every day. this looked like way too much on some days, but it really isn't. It really works well for me. I can't believe how clean my house is and I'm not worn out. It's a good well balanced list. Thanks you for sharing it. You're da bomb!

Cloudsillusions

Closed Thread