It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Question for all who have had or are waiting for surgery

Hi All: I just wondered if any of you who have already had surgery or are waiting to have surgery have *ever* heard that after a PLIF with cages and fusion *non iliac crest* harvestation, have been told that you will get out of the hospital in ONE day? To me this seems incredibly, but I have a family member that is being told that and am wondering if the dr is just trying to eliminate the worry that comes with the number of days they ususally tell you.

Let me know if you have a chance. I suppose it's possible, but I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around *this one* for obvious reasons. The shortest amount of time I was in was 7 days (3 yrs ago) and the longest (many years ago) was 6 weeks.

Again sending good wishes to all getting ready to have the surgery and to those who just recently had it!!!! To Yvette's daughter, thanks for keeping us updated, and I hope her pain level isn't too bad. Has she made any comments on the pain in particular, because it may help with my above question.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 03-12-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Question for all who have had or are waiting for surgery

That does seem really quick. I was in for 4 days. My doctor told me to expect 2 to 5 days in the hospital.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
(male)

fusionman HB User

Hi DesertBloom,

I had an ALIF fusion recently and was told 4 to 8 days in the hospital. I was out in 5 days. My understanding is that they will not sign you out until the PT department gives you the Ok and also you may have to stay until you have your first bowel movement. I suppose one day is possible but not likely.

Fusionman

Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Gosh 1 day seems pretty short. I was told 3-4 days and was in for 4 and did not even have a complete fusion. I just got rods and fusion material to stabilze my spine. They did not take the back apart and remove the disc.

I am sure that 1 day would be almost unheard of.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

My daughter had TLIF 20 months ago and was in the hospital for four days, one of which was in pediatric icu. cas

Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

I had PLIF at l4/l5 with infuse BMP and cages, rods/screws. Mine was also minimally invasive.. so no largecut, but six small cuts and then dilation through muscles.

I was in JUST barely 2 days. Both my doc and I wanted me to stay one more day, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it because I was able to get out of bed and walk. I did fine though and glad to be home. Slept much better at home.

Hope this helps.

Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Thanks to everyone on the info...

Justoneofus: My niece is having her surgery done through WC, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the short stay or if her dr is just hoping/lying about the time frame...

Thanks again

Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"][B]
Hi ,
I was told I would be a outpatient , in and out the same day . The hospital was 3 hour's away , I ended up in the hospital for 7 days..

My 2nd surgery (a redue to fix a broken pedical screw) I was in the ICU for like 4 day's and out on the 6th day.
[/B][/SIZE]

Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
(female)

painfulback HB User

iam having the plif also and the dr told me only 1 night and if i need a extra night i can stay but that was it....... crazy

Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I was in for 8 days. I'd be surprised if you were discharged in only one day, but you never know...

Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
(male)

Gettuit HB User

I had PLIF L-4,L-5 with pedicle screws and rods. I was in the hospital 4 nights. I felt it would have been better had I stayed longer since my wife works and I was alone the major part of the day . Unless the dodtor is doing minimally invasive I can't see such a short stay . Hope this helps and good luck!:

Closed Thread