It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
(male)

dub1 HB User
Day 6 post-op, horrible hospital!!!

Hi all,
I just wanted to drop a line to let everyone know how things are going. I was very nervous before my surgery, which was an L4, L5, S1 laminectomy fusion w/hardware. I awoke in some discomfort in the recovery room, however i didn't puke so that was a positive. The hospital initially started me on dilaudid (1mg) every 2 hours, this really didn't touch my pain, it would help out for the first 30 to 60 min but then i was moaning in pain for an hour. I was sort of suprised they didn't just give me a drip but whatever. I fell in and out of sleep for the first 24 hours. Day 2 started off okay, they wanted me to get up and i put up a fuss about it but the nurses WILL have their way. It was god aweful the pain was a 9 and i was just moaning the whole time. I was in bed just crying cause i hurt so bad but the nurses would give me anything else for pain, it was horrible. Day 3 they took the cathider out, that was a lovely experience, i didn't know that a balloon held that thing in my thing.....gross, but anyway, now i had to get up to use the potty or else the stupid **** cup they give you. I tried to explain to my nurse that i couldn't sit up high enough in the bed to properly use the cup....it was an angle issue......so i got up to pee but it required the nurses to help move my legs off the bed. I could get my upper body up but for some reason my legs would not listen to me. I had some really bad nurses, when i would call them and ask for help they would ask me what i needed. Like, listen lady obviously i need some assistance and it's your job so get in here. When they came into my room the nurses just looked really annoyed the whole time, usually they would wait till i finished and then i would also need help raising my legs back into the bed. This one nurse just left me there sitting on my bed waiting for her to come back but she never did, it was like 20 min and i was tired and my back started locking up, i couldn't reach my call button because it was on the other side of the bed. I actually had to have my neighbor help my into bed. Good thing he didn't have a back problem or i could have been there all night.

Long story short, this hospital made my experience horrible. They did not help my pain when i needed it most and then the service was the worst. I spoke to the charge nurse and patient relations but i am not done with them, i shutter to think that someone else has to go through the disaster that i put up with. Moreover, i am paying for their crappy service.

I needed to vent with you guys cause you all know what it's like. In regards to the actual surgery, it went well my pain is localized to my buttocks and upper thighs. I do have a weird nerve pull feeling in my left middle finger but i will talk with my doc about that friday. I am feeling so much better than before surgery.
Stenosis
Nerve damage R/L
L5-S1 fusion w/hardware
L-4 herniated
Dorsal column spinal stimulator
Bi-Polar,Gen. Anxiety disorder

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
(male)

fusionman HB User
Re: Day 6 post-op, horrible hospital!!!

Hi dub1,

I too had a horrible hospital stay. I was in for 5 days and it was bad. I thought maybe my situation was unusual but after hearing your story and others it seems not. Thanks for sharing it with us.

The most important thing at this stage is that youíre better from the surgery. I wish you well during your recovery.

Fusionman

Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Gosh, I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I too had some problems when I was in the hospital. I talked with a social worker at the hospital and my Dr. whom got to the bottom of it and they corrected everything very fast.

I sure hope you have a fast recovery and are doing better now.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Dub,
What hospital in Mich did you have your surgery at? My daughter had her fusion, similar to your's L4 - S1 with laminectomy, at Royal Oak Beaumont and she had great care. She was on the pediatric floor, but her dr was there once or twice a day and nurses helped us out a lot. They gave her a morphine pump and it helped her pain a lot. Her only problem was the nausea and the itching from the morphine. I'm sorry to hear you had such a terrible stay. Glad to hear you're doing better than before surgery. Hope the rest of your recovery is progressing. cas

Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi dub

I am sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience in hospital.
It was bad enough having to go through the surgery let alone having bad aftercare.
At least its over for you now.
Is there anybody you can make a complain too?
It might help the next person not to go through the same thing that you have.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Best wishes

Old 03-13-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Hi dub, sorry you had such a gad eppericence eek...I wish I could have regulated my own pains for sure. Well atleast we are both now, and the healing can begin.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

dub1 - Nice to see that you are home!! and starting to heal and now at home. I had a L4 - S1 TLIF about 11 weeks ago. I was treated very badly also when I was in the hospital. I only got pain killers every 4 - 6 hours never touched the pain. The nurse's acted like I was putting them out. It was hands down the worst time of my life. I never cried so much in my life! So I know where you are coming from. I complained and wrote a letter, I never did hear anything back. So in the end nobody cared. So about 100,000 grand to be treated like a piece of crap. Anyway I am glad it is over and I am home, safe, healing, and feeling so much better. It is really sad that there are so many people in healthcare who don't give a hoot about the patient, really blows my mind. My hat goes off to nurse's out there that do care.

Rose

Healing well after a L4 - S1 TLIF 12/12/06

Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I think everyone has a war story from the hospital. Put all that behind you now that you are home and concentrate on your healing. Take care of yourself and I will be lifting you up in prayer.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Dub,
glad that you are back home. Every hospital gets you up the day after surgery. They need to get you moving. My back broke as they were getting me up the second day..they didn't listen to me and got me up with a broken back twice a day to walk....

Keep on doing what your doctor suggested. It will get better now that you are home.

Hang in there!

Last edited by ibake&pray; 03-13-2007 at 06:43 AM.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
(female)

italiandachshund HB User

What a terrible experiece! Nurses are very important on first days after surgery, they should help you to move from a side to the othe the first two days, I'm so sorry, for you...a very nightmare! But now you're home I wish you a nice recovery...all the best!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
(male)

dub1 HB User

Thanks everyone for your support. I lost my internet connection for a while cause after a power outage my router reset...drama. But anyway i am happy to put it all behind me now. I feel pretty good. I am still in pain but the meds help. I have been having two strange symptoms, my back is spasms have been horrible and then the night sweats, Has anyone else had this problem?
Stenosis
Nerve damage R/L
L5-S1 fusion w/hardware
L-4 herniated
Dorsal column spinal stimulator
Bi-Polar,Gen. Anxiety disorder

Old 03-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I had and still have the muscle spasms as they cut the major back muscles.
I also had the night sweats. I think this was because of the stronger pain meds but really am not sure.

Hope you are feeling better.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Hi dub,

Glad to hear that you are home and healing. I must tell you, I totally feared going back to the hospital that just did my discectomy. Back in 2000, I had two major surgeries within two weeks. I guess between that and the fact that the second surgery, the hip bone graft, kept me bed ridden for the most part because I wasn't allowed to put any weight on the left leg/hip. I ended up back in the hospital with two dvt's in my left leg. I had to go to the bathroom so I rang the nurse, they said they would be right there. I waited five minutes, no one came, I rang them again and told them that I really had to go. I would have gotten up myself except when they had been in the room earlier, they moved my walker too far out of my reach so I was at their mercy. So I rang again after another 5 minutes, of course they said we will be right there, well five more minutes go by, 20 minutes in all. Hey, I'm 37 years old ok, I haven't wet the bed since I was a baby and I wasn't about to start now, so I got up by myself using my good leg, hopped over to the curtain that was open so the whole world walking by my room could see in and tried to swing the curtain closed. When I did this, I lost my balance and fell to the floor. Fortunately I landed on my good hip and peed all over myself and the floor. Five minutes later a nurse comes in, sees me laying on the floor in my puddle and asks me what the h-ll I'm doing. I told her I called every five minutes for 20 minutes and told you guys that I had to go to the bathroom and no one came so I decided to try to go myself. Do you know, she lectured the dickens out of me, yelling etc. I guess they were afraid of being sued. So when she finished her tyrade I asked her, so next time I have to go, either someone better come in here or atleast keep my walker close enough so that I can reach it because I will not pee in the bed. She moved my walker back to the bedside and stormed out of the room. This time, I had very good nurses and a pain bump with a button. They also cathed me so I guess they remembered? So I feel yours and everyone elses bad hospital stays and agree to the poster who has her hat off to the ones that do care, it is hard to find now a days. Glad you are home dude. Wish you a speedy recovery. Usta

Old 03-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

My husband told me i was a real bit*h the first two days at the hospital. I had two nurse the first night that just treated me like i was stupid. I was screaming help me....for gods sake...why can't they give you more drug to where your not dying...I now relate it to childbirth. My favoritre nurse was this big black guy probably weighed close to 400 and i didn't care if he saw me naked or not, he could help get me out of bed and to the toilet without as much pain cause he was so strong.
I guess luckily we can't remember all the stuff, they wouldn't let my hubby stay the first night, and i kept pushing the button and no one would come...even thought they say they didn't cath me, I still couldnt pee for a few days and had to keep going in there and sitting.

Oh well glad that I am home.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I am with you yvette. The meds I had the first 24 hours did not work. I finally just quit calling the nurse. I basically layed in bed all night an cryed.
When the nurse came in and asked why I didn't call I told them. Why pump me full of a med that doesn't work. They called the Dr and got the med changed.

Pretty painfull surgery

Closed Thread