It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

bjferge HB User
Question numbness in legs after spinal fussion

I had my spinal fussion on the L4.L5.S1 on 3/8/07. The surgery went well, my pain is minimual, and I was out in 3 days. My only problem is numbness in both my legs. I'ts getting better, especially after the steroid shots, and the doc gave me steroid pills to take at home. The doc figures I have this problem due to long compressed nerves, and the amount he had to move them. He did an EMG after the surgery, no nerve damage. So for now I'm using a walker to get around. The numbness is basically down the back of my legs, and worse in my feet. Has anyone else have this? If so how long will this last?
Thanks,
Bobbi-Jo

Last edited by bjferge; 03-12-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: numbness in legs after spinal fussion

I have never had this problem but I wanted to welcome you to the board. It sounds like good news that your doctor has not detected damage. Hopefully it is part of the healing process and as he says from moving the nerves around during surgery.

I believe there are a couple of people on the board that have experienced this problem after surgery so hopefully they will respond.

Good luck on your healing process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the board!

I have numbness also. You have to realise that your nerves were compromised before the surgery. Now they need to settle down and slowly get back into the right place. They are also now receiving more blood than they did when they were compressed.

My doctor was not at all concerned about it,especially when it was slowly getting better. Nerves regenerate at 1 milligram a month(i think). So that says that it will take time for them to regian their feeling also.

Hang in there, one day you will notice that you have feeling where you didn't. It just kinda creeeps up on you.. I am still numb in areas and it has been two years since my 3 level fusion...

patience is good...........
Jill[/COLOR]

Old 03-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hi Mr Negative here,

I was told that my nerves were moved around and they will get back to normal and all..Yea Right . I have permanent nerve damage in my legs and feet that hurt really bad all the time. I woke from my 2nd surgery screaming because my wife had my foot in her hand , felt like my foot was on fire. But my legs were numb ,both of them and they still are over a year since..

Maybe your's is different ? I hope it is.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
(male)

crookedback HB User

Hey BJ... welcome! I have not had surgery but have numbness, pain & pressure in both feet n in my right butt cheek. My neuro surgeon wants to wait for it to get worse b4 he does surgery.

To Shawley: So did you have numbness & pain in ur feet prior to surgery & it didn't respond or what?

Take care... Dave!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User

I have numbness still, and it has been 8 months past my L4-L5-S1 fusion. My butt and ham string area has come back to life, but my knees on down to my feet are still numb and weak. My Doctor said that my nerves are as if parking a truck on a garden hose for so long, that when you move the truck, the hose is still flat and needs to re open again. I can't say as my feet are any better, but was told that it takes about two years, IF the nerves are ever to heal back. After about two years I was told that, that is about as good as it gets.
Still, I think the surgery has helped get rid of one huge pain, but left me with another.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
(male)

crookedback HB User

Hey Coast Guard... michigander here too! So were you numb pre-surgery & if so for how long? Got 2 herniated at the same place as you (S1-L5 & L5-L4) & may need fusion fairly soon so I'm just curious. I have numbness, pressure & some pain in both feet 24/7 & have been like this for over year from my last herniation.

Take care... Dave!

Old 05-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
(female)

proverb2020 HB User
Smile Re: numbness in legs after spinal fussion

Hello: I am a newbie and I wanted to post my two cents worth. I had spinal fusion on March 12/07. It was even harder than I though.
In respect to numbness, it's a matter of TIME, TIME TIME. That's what my surgeon said. My feeling is coming back very slowly.
I had a total spine fusion, due to constant pain on my back.
I had a Scoliosis since I was 11. I'm now 47.
Never had a problem up until recent years where I was hospitalized practically every year and sedated with narcotics. Which it didn't solve the problem. So my only option was surgery or I would have ended up on a wheel chair eventually. So I took the surgery and I am recovering slowly but surely. I lost a lot of weight at least 20 pounds. I have to wear a brace for at least 4 months. I can't bend any more for the rest of my life which has be improvising few things in regards to hygene. But anything is better than the pain I was in before surgery. Bottom line; I traded one pain for another. But at least I know this pain is leading towards healing and will end one day. Unlike the pain I was living with for over 3 years none stop.

I hope this can help anyone and give you hope.
ps- recovery is slow, but is coming!! at least 8 months minimal.

Last edited by proverb2020; 05-20-2007 at 07:22 AM.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
(female)

jaylynn5 HB User

Hi Iam Jaylynn,I had AILF surgery on april 18th and it went very well.I have numbness in both legs,and also in my feet,which feels like they are burning.I also have fibro which I went into a flare-three weeks after surgery,it felt like someone to a hammer and crushed my shoulder bone,I was hurting in my hip and both legs down to my feet.I also heard to keep moving,with fibro even if it hurts,My knee is twice the size of the other knee,My husband thinks I tore something.It looks like I have fluid on the knee.It seems like you get over one pain and something else starts.The surgeon said I would get over the numbness in a few weeks,Iam not sure what he is going to say when he see's my knee.Hope you have good luck and as they all say it takes time.Best wishes --

Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Welcome!!
I had my right leg/foot/toes numbness and extreme weakness right after the surgery. Some of the weakness got a bit stronger, but numbness, pins and needles, neuropathy pain, foot drooped and first 3 toes weakness - this all with me already 15 month.
I was told by PM and neurologist that it can take up to a year for your nerves to recover after the surgery. In my case it's permanent and i have to wear a brace.
Good luck to you!

Closed Thread