It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
(female)

Kimmydoll HB User
Thumbs up Trying other options

I went to see the PT yesterday and it went well. He specializes in pain management for back problems and he helped me understand that it has been two years since my accident and my Spondylolysis & Spondylolisthesis remains a grade 1 with no signs of nerve damage which is a good sign for now.

Hey Yvette777 you were right about when your doctor told you were too young for surgery. The neo Surgeon who gave me a second opion and now my new PT said the same thing “you’re too young” “hold off as long as reasonably possible try other options before having surgery”. The PT schedule me for a bone scan which I will be getting tomorrow and I am going to get my first of three epidural steroid injections (ESI) which I will be under a local anesthetic next week, I hope it provides some relief. I read up on the side effects but has anyone out there experience any bad side effects from ESI? Is it anything like getting an epidural for child birth? He also recommended I try short walks, water aerobics, and crunches to drop some weight. So I am going to think positive from here on out. I am glad I cancelled my surgery because this PT has given me some hope . Thanks everybody, I pray for all of you every night. If you have any advice I am all ears.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
(male)

picnica HB User
Re: Trying other options

I have had about 14 epidurals. They lay you on a table, you have the option to get relaxing meds or just the novacane. They first put the needle in the area with novacane. That the one that hurts the most. Then after that spots good and numb. They put the epidural needle in and inject dye then the meds. Not too bad. Seeing my wife get her epidural for the kids, it is a little easier (Your not in labor ) I too am "too young" The epidural worked well for me for a couple of years. After my first discectomy. After they stopped working, the PM/Surgeon just did another discectomy. I hope you find pain relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User
Re: Trying other options

I am so glad you are happy with your decision. I also believe that you should exhaust all options before having surgery. As long as you have a plan of action with your Dr and PT they can follow your progress in case you get worse.

I also had spondy grade 1-2 I was told in 2000 it never got worse but my pars defect caused alot of problems. My biggest problem was I did not have a Dr that worked with me the sent me to a couple of months of PT and said ok you should be ok now. 6 months later I am in pain again. This went on and on until last year when the pain became chronic and nothing made it go away.

Anyway enough of my rambling. I am glad you have a plan of action and wish for you to get better soon. Being pain free is he best.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Closed Thread