It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User
Hello all, had first follow up post surg today

I am in extreme siatic pain. I haven't been very loving(actually have been rather crabby) to dh which I think is hurting his feelings. He wants me to do stuff with him and I just can't because of the pain. I tried to tell him last night that it isn't him, it is the pain and I am having a hard time dealing with it, so do not take it personal. It feels like someone took a good hard swing with a baseball bat to the lower right quadrant of my back, just above the bum cheek, another swing to the inside and outside of my hip, and yet another good wack across the top of my thigh. I am having sharp shooting pains through and from my knee to my ankle. The skin in the shin area feels like it is on fire and doesn't respond well to anything touching it at all. I saw PA today and she said that it sounds like swelling and muscle spasm. In her words, she said "and the nerves are really ****** off right now". They have increased my Gabapenten from 600mg 3x a day to 900mg 3x a day. They have also put me on cimbalta(sp?) which of course they didn't have in stock at the drug store today and I can't get until tomorrow after 4pm. They refilled my vallium for muscle spasm and told me to only take the percocet if the pain is keeping me from resting so that it will put me out for a while. She said no un-necessary walking or other activity until this subsides, to rest, rest, rest. Pain meds according to the PA do not affect nerve pain which is why they didn't give me anything else for pain. Picnica, I asked her about the patches, she said they wouldn't help me. I start pt in two weeks and see surgeon again in four. Guess that means I'm not going back to work the last week of March like they said before surgery, it will now be the end of April before they release me to work again. Well, just wanted you all to know how it went, I hope everyone else is having a good pain free day today, ttultr, Usta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Hello all, had first follow up post surg today

I am so sorry you are in so much pain and pray that the increase in meds will provide you with some much needed relief.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
(male)

picnica HB User

You know it's funny, my doctor said the almost same things. Put me on the Neurontin. Told me the percocet will not help unless I have back pain. And gave me the patches. (Week 1) Then he wanted to see me in a week. Since then (5 weeks post op) he gave me 3 nerve blocks, 2 for the sympathic nerve and one for the sciatic nerve. Let me go back to work in 2 weeks.
He explained when those symptoms appear they have to reset the nerve.(Nerve blocks) The diagnosis he gave me is Peripheral Neuropathy. It occurs from the damage/Compression from the back injury. (Saw him last night)
He also started me on PT. And told me he would like me to walk as much as I can, to strengthen the leg that is shrinking. He will only give me PT for the foot drop and Peripheral Neuropathy. I cannot start PT for the back for another 3 weeks at least. I also had an MRI done a couple of days ago. Peripheral Neuropathy also kills the sex drive. Not that the pain doesn't also. Even me as a man, I have no desire. Never felt that before.(Yuck) The other symptoms are different temperature in the legs, the bad leg shrinks. Loss of hair on the leg. Burning sensation and Touching the leg is EXTREMELY painful. Shooting pain when laying down or sleeping. Sound close? If you want to try the patch, go get surnburn spray w/Lidocane. It worked good for a couple of hours. I can only tell you I do feel much better than before. That pain is so extreme on the McGill chart it is above Labor, and amputation of an arm
I am so sorry you hurt so bad and then have to deal with the insurance. I am praying for you. It will get better. Were almost there, soon we won't hurt as much.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Picnica, I sure hope you are right about not hurting so much soon, I've had enough. Sorry thing is so many people on this board have been through so much more than me. Pain is pain, I did ask the PA today if she could just cut the hip and leg off. She lol ed. To everyone one here that has had it worse than I have, and I would venture to say that is just about everoyne, you all are my hero's. Forgive me if I sometimes whine a little loud, this is my first experience with true pain and that may have made me a little incensitive to those of you with fusions, rods and cages. Be my guest if you feel you need to remind me of that sometimes, I just get tunel vision when I can't hardley stand, sit or walk without tremendous pain that probably doesn't come close to touching most of Y'alls pain. Picnica, as far as the let shring, I think I told you that mine were actually swollen, most likely from the weight gain that I will continue to blame on the neurontin, (Gapaben.) The hair loss I could deal with, share, the sex drive, what sex drive, the headache will never work again after this thing...I did go get some solarcane the other day, it helps for a little while but the PA told me that the patches wouldn't help the nerve pain. Thanks for the prayers Picnica, you are in mine as well. DDD, do you have all of this nerve pain in your legs. I'm sure with all that you've been through over the past few years, you must have had a bout with it. What did you do and how long does it last? Have you heard from Clover today? Usta

Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
(female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Hi Usta,

Pain is pain. Everyone has had it to one degree or another. I think everyone here understands your feelings. I am sorry you are in so much pain. It is very frustrating sometimes. I hope you get relief soon. Please keep us informed.

Angie

Old 03-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Hi Usta
Gosh I am sorry your are in so much pain. Does not sound like any fun at all. We are on the same schedule. We had surgery on the same day and I also had my first post op visit today.

I sure hope the new meds help and the resting. Sometimes people do not understand the pain that goes on and on unless they have experienced them selves. My hubby and I have had our talks about it. For the most part he is very understanding but sometimes it is frustrating and a person wishes they could just get better all at once and not have to go thru all the stuff we go thru.

Anyway hugs your way and remember I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Thanks Clover,

I was just feeling a little guilty about complaining so much about the pain when so many of you have had such more detailed and indepth procedures done. I guess I was feeling a little whimpy too. One of the higher ups at work shot me an e-mail after I told them what the PA said today and how much longer they said I'd be off, she said "just think, soon you will be back here wishing for more time off" I assured her that I would never wish for this kind of time off ever!!! I'll pass. Again, I am so proud of you being able to go back to work yesterday. I didn't have anyone to drive me to md appt today so it was the first drive since surgery, don't look forward to doing anymore driving any time soon... Take care, becareful at work, thanks for the prayers, you are also in mine. TTULTR, Usta

Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I know what you mean, i hear people say They have to go to work on monday, I am quick to remind them they should be glad they can go to work on monday.

I know I am only four dayspost op but still have alot of pain..I'm thinking can't they make anything better for pain here?

take good care and hope you feel better, vette

Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Usta,
Oh man ! You had your surgery to get rid of that pain and here is a new pain...

I had the same thing happen to me and I'm still having nerve pain. One thing or the other..I hate when the doctor's say that about ticking the nerves off..Guess what ? My nerves are still ****** after 2 years of being mad.

Maybe you'll be lucky and they will stop.

Hope your better today

Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Usta thanks for the kind words. It was real hard to go back but again I don't have the traditional type job I can go home if need be and I also can do alot of my work from home. I am still having pain but it is much better.

Gosh I can't even think of driving right now guess I would if I had to but when I read you drove I crinched in the pain. How did it go?

Hope everyone has a pain free day.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
Smile Re: Hello all, had first follow up post surg today

My doc had me at PT at 5 weeks for a double fusion. He said I needed to walk 1/2 to one mile per day at two weeks to start "greasing the wheels" and get the healing going. It seemed to work. Lots of pain at the time-still have ****** of nerves in my right leg!LOL- but getting better-I took my Lortabs every four hours whether I felt pain or not-just to stay ahead of the pain. I can't stress that enough!! GET HEAD OF THE PAIN!!!! Pain causes more stress on the body and then how can it heal? DO NOT be ashamed of taking pain meds-my surgeon said this surgery is comparable to open heart surgery and almost everything else is just a proceedure. I gradually petered off the Lortab after a few months with no withdrawal.
I pray for all of you everyday!
BLessings,
Michelle

Old 03-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Hello all,

Shawley, I am sorry that your pain has continued for two years. What do they do to manage it for you? Are you able to work? Maybe the pain manufactures need to test their outcomes on patients that are in chronic pain to determine if they suceed or fail. Maybe we can come up with something that works, get rich and have no pain. Wua Hooo! Clover, since it is my right leg that I'm having the problem with the driving was a bi**h. Had to stop several times to allow leg to settle down. Thankyou to all that have kindly responded to this post with advise and support, it really means a lot. Hopefully with the increase of Gabapentin and the Cymbalta that dh will pick up for me this afternoon it will begin to settle down enough to let me sleep the night through. I also take the flexeril for spasm. The pain meds do knock me out but the pain constantly wakes me so I have to change positions. They told me to lay low for the next two weeks to get the nerve pain within a managable state so that I can start pt. This has to get better by April 28th or I will loose my job. I wonder why there isn't a pain med available that will decrease nerve pain, my PA told me yesterday that no pain meds stop nerve pain... WEll, ttuall ltr, Usta

Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]
Usta,
Work ? I wish I were working..My wife call's me her little house
Bi_ _h! I don't like her when she talks dirty to me . But no I don't work I been fired from my job because I can't perform my lifting duties and they couldn't find me any job that I could do and they have people in wheelchairs working there..After 12 years fired. I can't stand to be on my feet anyway. This is why I'm so scared for our future. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box and there is few things I can do..Re-up in the ARMY ? Can't even do that..Shoot me !

I was taking percocets /Morphine but had to get off that junk and now I'm paying for it...All I take now is Lyrica and 15 mg Morphine 1 every 12 hours and my pain HURTS !

Hope your having a good day [/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Hey Shawley,

When I had my bone graft done in my left hip, I couldn't go back to the physical job I had either. I went to a rehab work place that re-trained me for the job market for something that I could do. They paid for me to go to school for computer repair, I got my A+ certification , the hardest thing I've ever done and decided it wasn't for me. So I started working for temp agencies to get trained in something I could do. It seemed like a long road but I managed to get retrained in an office setting. I wish I had picked something else when I was at the rehab place. Hind site, you know. Do you know it they have anything like that up there in Pa? It might be worth checking into. I've never been the sharpest crayon in the box either, but I needed to be able to work. Check it out and let me know if they have anyting like that up there. I'd be glad to help you in any way I can. Good Luck Shawley, Usta

Old 03-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Usta, I'm lifting you up in prayer in hopes that you can get on your way to healing. I'm so sorry you are going thru this. Don't get discouraged, and don't feel bad about feeling bad. I'm sure your dh knows what you are going thru and is not taking it as badly as you think he is.

I really pray that we can all keep strong, get our rest, do our exercises, (or in your case refrain from them.. lol) in order that at the end of this long journey we will become accustomed to whatever it is that our bodies have in store for us in our long journey of life.

Keep your chin up Usta!!! I'll be around when I can't lay anymore. LOL. Just holler, and I'm here. (((((Usta))))))

Bg

Closed Thread