It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
(male)

bollis HB User
Help, MRI after 5 years of waiting, please explain results!!!

I injured my back in 2001 lifting a pool table, I lost all power to my legs and had horrendous muscles spasms. I was admitted to hospital, pumped full of morphine and sent home due to lack of beds. A spine x-ray showed nothing and then fractur clinic doctor informed me that I had ruptured my lower back muscles and should rest for 8 weeks.

Since then my back has gone every 2-3 months and can lay me up for 2-6 weeks. When the back goes I can not put any weight on my legs at all, I can bearly crawl on my hands and knees! The doctor prescribes me Diclofenac, Diazepam, Tramadol and Pethidine. None of these seem to take the pain away. Recently the Doctor finally sent me for an MRI after years of me pestering. I've now been referred to a surgeon, but have to wait almost 9 months. The results of the MRI are below and I would be greatful if someone could shed some light on what it all means.

MRI SPINE LUMBAR/SACRAL

Standard protocol for lumbar spine was done.

FINDINGS: At the level D12/L1 there is sever disc space narrowing and dehydration associated with circumferential, minimally right sided osteodiscal bar arising from the lower surface of D12 vertebral body with subsequent anterior CSF space obscuring and minimal indentation to the distal part of the dorsal spinal cord. The D12 vertebral body appears minimally wedged, maybe there is some history of trauma in the past? At hte level L4/L5 and L5/S1 there is again disc dehydration associated with circumferential and slightly right sides minor disc bulging. The left side neural foraminae at these two levels appears slightly narrowed, however without marked exiting nerve root impingement. The remaining lumbar spine levels do not show any abnormality. No defined central canal stenosis or dic herniation present.

COMMENTS: At the level D12/L1 there is an osteodiscal bar minimally indenting the distal part of the thoracic spinal cord and flattening anterior CSF space. In the lower part of the lumbar spine marked and not adequate for patient age degenerative changes are present

Any help would be appreciated, I'm only 32 and feel at this rate like I'm going to be crippled!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Help, MRI after 5 years of waiting, please explain results!!!

Welcome to the board!! Unfortunately, I can't comment on your MRI. It is a over my head but I wanted to say hello and let you know that I care and hope you find some pain relief soon.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
(male)

bollis HB User

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;2855882] Welcome to the board!! Unfortunately, I can't comment on your MRI. It is a over my head but I wanted to say hello and let you know that I care and hope you find some pain relief soon.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, it's good to know that people care. I find that people with back pain get little sympathy seeing as though there's no blood and gore visible!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Welcome to the boards. Like dr. pepper I can't comment on the MRI other than I don't have any faith in them for diagnosing back problems. Good luck at the surgeon. It's too bad it has to take that long to see them. Fred

Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi there and welcome to the boards. You have found good company as all of us on here are no stranger to serious back pain/trauma of one form or another.

Some of your MRI wording is different to what i am used to seeing, but I will give it a go for my 2 cents worth.

I think you meant T not D. T12/L1 seems to be your primary issue point and you have some very mild DDD (degeneration of the discs) with minor disc bulging with no nerve impingement @ l4/l5/s1.

T12/L1 it states appears to show as a previous injury perhaps with a disc fragment (??) indenting the dorsal (meaning posterior/back) spinal cord, and I "think" it is saying the disc is also flattening out (which would mean it's compressing).

So where is your pain mostly? Is it in this location or are you getting referred pain? When is your appointment to discuss the findings of the MRI and what type of doctor ordered the MRI? Your wait to see a surgeon is 9 months!??? Let me guess you are NOT in the US? In the UK?

Is your pain now becomming more constant or are you still having flare ups then it calms down?

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
(male)

bollis HB User

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm in the UK, hence the massive waiting list!

I have constant pain in my back which is bearable, it's across the top of my arse cheeks. Every few months months my back goes in a big way, pain across my arse and I can't put any weight on my legs at all. Toppled with that when it goes I also get muscle spasm that feels like no pain I can describe, it reduces me to tears!

I'm just getting fed up with the whole situation, I can't lead a normal life! I'm always worrying about picking my daughter up or picking someting up from the floor or sneezing the wrong way! Even stepping off the erb has madeit go before. It's getting m down and people around me are getting fed up too

Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am so sorry your wait is so long in the UK. I could not begin to imagine your frustration. I know I was pretty upset when the first time I had my MRI done and had to wait 8 weeks for one I was frustrated. Now I realize that I had nothing to whine about.

You are right most people who do not live with our pain have no clue whatsoever but remember you have us to come to when the going gets tough.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

That's one thing about people that really gets me mad. When a person is in pain but not bloody and bandaged nobody takes it seriously. Then about the time you are getting real depressed they start getting sick of your complaining. I actually tried to ignore my pain so I wouldn't "inconvience "those around me Fred

Closed Thread