It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Back Pain was Side Effect of Medication

Hello,

Although I've posted elsewhere, I am new to your board. I haven't read your posts so forgive me if you've mentioned this topic...however, it may be worth mentioning again.

About 2 years ago I was experiencing excruciating back pain (comparable to a herniated disc) during the night--it was so bad I was afraid to go to bed for fear I would not be able to get up or go to the phone and call for help. I finally called my family doctor who did an exam and said he didn't think it was a tumor. Given this info, I requested physical therapy rather than medication. I underwent 6 weeks of rigorous pt which helped but I was still in constant nocturnal pain and had limited mobility. I should mention that I was also experiencing pain in my left shoulder at this time also. My pt treated my back pain the 1st 6 weeks, and my shoulder pain for 4 weeks after that.

I experienced ongoing pain for about a year. Then the pain disappeared completely within a two week period never to return. It wasn't until I was reading the posts on the blood pressure boards when I came across to similar scenarios and realized that what I had experienced was a side effect of the medication hydrocholorothiazide which is a commonly prescribed diuretic. The pain had disappeared because I had switched blood pressure medications!

I realize many of you have very complex medical historys and this is not going to help you...but I do hope you're aware of this possibility because as we age more of us are going to be on blood pressure meds and it's too easy to assume that we are experiencing pain because of an injury or old age rather than associating it with a medication side effect.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User
Re: Back Pain was Side Effect of Medication

Thanks Bethsheba for the info!! I had a bad reaction to a med and a took a few weeks for the doc's to figure out that it was something I was taking. Thanks again.

Rose

Old 03-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Thank you so much for letting us know that. I would not have thought that a side effect to a med could cause such a painful reaction however side effects to meds can be nasty. Of course instead of that being the first thing the Dr's think of it is usually the last.

I am glad your pain was resolved but very sorry you had to endure so much before it went away.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Jennii

Oh, Jennii, I'm glad your docs figured it out! Who would think that med side effects would show up in our nerves, muscles, bones? I certainly didn't have a clue and I have a simple health history...only one med!

Thanks for reading and thanks for sharing!

Bethsheba

Old 03-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Clover,

I agree...I was so innocent. It never occurred to me that it was the medicine. I just couldn't understand how I could literally overnight become an invalid. It was an education in many ways as I have a newfound respect for those with disabilities.

I chuckled when I read "Of course instead of that being the first thing the Dr's think of it is usually the last." How true, how very true that statement is...with the years of training and experience they have, I think doctors forget to look for the basics...

I haven't read your previous posts so I can only say that I hope and pray you and Jennii are well, happy, and pain free.

Take care.

Bethsheba

Old 03-15-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Beth
Thank you so much for your kind words.

Closed Thread