It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

nashvillegirl HB User
pain worse when lying down?

Does anyone experience the worst pain when lying down? It's the worst when lying on my back and it's very painful to turn over in bed. I sleep with a heating pad sometimes but I can't tell if it helps or not. I have DDD and a hernitated disc at the L5-S1 and bulging on the L4 with bad sciatia down my right leg. I have had 2 epidurals about 7 months ago and have been ok but the pain is starting to worsen again.

I just thought it was odd that I have the worst pain when lying down. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything or any position that helps you? I find it very hard to sleep as I can't get comfortable no matter what I do. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
Re: pain worse when lying down?

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]HI,
I have some new pain that has started the past few months, doc says that L2 & L3 discs are going bad (DDD). I have started to have pain on my right side when laying down on my side & some on my back too. I'm waiting for the CT results. I have found if I'm on my side and I kinda roll up a blanket and put it behind my back to help support me it seems to take the pressure off of my back a bit. Wish I had more to offer.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Have you tried lying flat on your back with two pillows under your knees, tried using a small flat folded towel under the lumbar back, or lying on your side with a pillow between you legs?

I am sorry you are suffering and pray that you find some relief soon.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
(female)

nashvillegirl HB User

that is a good idea. I will try that. It's the worst pain ever when trying to turn over (which I do frequently). I don't know what it is about that motion that makes it hurt so bad. I have to grab on to my headboard and turn myself with my arms like I am paralized from the waist down it hurts so much. Thanks for your prayers! I hope you get some relief as well!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Try putting a plastic garbage bag under you hips; it makes it easier to slide when you turn.

Also are you using the log roll to get out of bed. To get out of bed, roll your whole body to one side as a unit, like the rolling of a log. Then let your legs ease off the edge of the bed toward the floor. At the same moment, put your elbows on the bed and push yourself up into a sitting position while keeping your back steady. Reverse this process when you lie down.

Help these suggestions help you.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

lala1022 HB User

Laying down helps me, but changing positions is what hurts the most. I would try heat and ice. Also stretching.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

Yes my worse pain was always when I lay down which is not the norm for back problems. It got so bad that I would try to sleep sitting up in my recliner. One of the symptoms that a tumour presents is pain when lying down. It is a red flag that doctors have to check out. I take that you have been diagnosed and there is nothing more than Disc problems.

I tried everything possible to lay down at night, the pillow, the heat ect ect but everytime I lay on my side burning nerve pain would start shooting down my shin. In fact sometimes I would forget when I was watching TV and would stretch out on the sofa. Well I didn't forget too long as the burning pain would begin. Going to bed became a nightmare and sleep non existent. Gabapentin (Neurontin) taken at bedtime finally gave me some relief and now I am on Lyrica which really has helped immensely. Have you tried either of those drugs?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Dear Nasvillegirl,

I am three weeks post discectomy and laying down still presents problems for me too. I try to take my meds about an hour before I know that I'll be going to bed. I am on gabapentin (neurontin) and cymbalta for nerve pain. It hasn't taken it away but it has reduced it enough that I get temporary relief. Pepper's suggestions about the pillows either under your legs if on your back or between your legs if on side have also helped me. It also helps as another poster said to wedge a pillow against your back if you are on your side for extra support.When I find that laying down just isn't working, I too head for the recliner. Keep us posted and let us know what they find. Usta

Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi

Yes i have problems lying down too!
When i first had my herniated disc i spent 9 months sleeping in a recliner chair.

In the last few months i have been trying to sleep in bed but i carnt sleep on my back for back pain ,carnt sleep on my left for real bad buttock pain an can only stay on my right for at the most 20 mins!

I spend most of my nights on the sofa!

Best wishes

Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

gotta have those pillows!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
(female)

nashvillegirl HB User

I will definitely try the pillows! The pain has been pretty mild the last several months, thanks to 2 epidurals about 7 months ago, but it's slowly creeping back, especcially at night. I have tried oral steroids (did nothing), flexaril (did nothing for pain but did relax me), tramadol (seemed to take the edge off sometimes but took forever to kick in and never worked that well) and now celebrex. I am finding the celebrex is working the best right now and it lasts for about 24 hours. I take it before bed. It didn't work at all before my epidurals so I am not sure why it's helping now but I am not questioning it. My dr. is pretty conservative when it comes to handing out drugs but I think she has the picture now that I am in pain. I am hoping the celebrex will continue to work for a while and I will definitely use the pillows. Kinda crowded sometimes since my cat sleeps with me and boyfriend is there sometimes too, lol.

Has celebrex worked for any of you at all?

Just out of curiosity, how old are some of you? I just turned 30 and my dr. said I was very young to have this for apparently no reason. Does that sound right to you? I have known a few people around my age or even younger, that have had this for no reason as well.

Thanks for all your suggestions and I will keep you posted!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Be careful using pillows. I had my therapist scream at me, literally, because if the pillows are placed in a certain spot or are too big they will cut off blood flow to the legs.

I can not lay on my back, I lay on my side with a pillow between my legs to keep my spine aligned. I've done this since I was a young girl.

Closed Thread