It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
How long to wean from brace?

Hey back buddies,
For those of you who are ahead of me in this, how long did it take you to wean out of your brace? How did you do it? I feel like I take one step forward and two steps back.

Thanks!

Emily

Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: How long to wean from brace?

Emily I had to wear that horrible thing 3 different times for surgery , every time I had to wear it 24/7 I couldn't take it off ONLY for my sponge bath..After my 3 months of wearing it there was no weening NO WAY that thing got thrown across my living room floor at my 3 month mark..I had to wear that thing in June /July /August the hottest months of the year and we don't have air conditioning..

No weening here throw it out Emily you become addicted to it..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]HI Emily,
I had 4 different times I had to wear that darn brace, the last time was the hard one with a leg brace attached(that was fun). I wore the hard one for 5 months, I wanted to throw it like shawley did, only thing was I could barely sit without it. I did only take a week to wean from it, I started sleeping without it since that was the easiest one. I did put up with some pain but it was so worth it, I simply just started going longer with out it but I did start doing pelvic tilts at the same time, it helped my core muscles wake up a bit and start doing the job that the brace did. It's kinda rough but you will make, the fact that you hate it so much will win over eventually, hehe.

Shawley, I can see you throwing that thing too. I let my cats use it as a hideaway, they LOVE it. Figured it cost a pretty penny might as well get use form it huh.

Good Luck

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Carol thats funny , giving it to your kitties ..lol I have 3 here for them.
I have one that starts from my chest to my hips and I have 2 that just wraps around my belly area( smaller). I bet they are expensive.

Throw it ! You can do it..

Old 03-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
(female)

italiandachshund HB User

Hi Emily, I'm still with my brace on, the hard one, tomorrow I hope the doctor will give me the permission to take it off for some hours a day I'm 9 weeks post surgery fusion...
I have already a soft one that will help me to wean from it and I'll have to use it for the next weeks...4-6 I guess.
Tomorrow I'll be more accurate....nice the idea to use for cats hideway..do you think my dachshunds will love it too Carol?
Shawley, I think you are wonderwoman!!! How could you wear this in summer without air conditioning?????

Last edited by italiandachshund; 03-20-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

doc seem to differ on this one.. some wean, some dont.. maybe it depends on your surgery and other conditions. my doc didnt wean me at all. I wore it for 3 months anytime I was not in bed. then one visit he said "stop wearing it period" and i did. I kinda missed it a bit and was kinda scared without it but I did it.

btw I had the hard tlso brace.

Last edited by zeroman; 03-20-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Kind of feel a little wobbly without it at first huh ? I'm glad I got rid of it.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hey guys,
Just thought I would throw in that it wont' hurt you to just stop like Shawley did. it's uncomfortable but wont' do any damage to just throw it away. So if you can tolerate it for a few days, go ahead do as Shawley says "just throw it away"

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
(female)

Nikirae HB User

I was released from my blue monster (my brace) 2 weeks ago at my 4 month post op. Told doc I was going to throw into Lake Michigan...he laughed and said don't throw it away, just put it somewhere that I won't see it, figured he was right..it did cost alot of money and you never know if you need it again. So far I am doing okay without it and I hope I continue to do okay.

~hugs Niki

Old 03-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

I wore it for 3 years and then weaned off of it for over one year. It was called a Zemickle brace, not sure which one you have. To wean me off, they slowly cut pieces off of it and adjusted pressure points until back was strong enough to go without.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]I wore mine for 4 months. IT was one of thoe custom clam shells $1900.00. And it was fit to me when I was three sizes of bloated and looked alot like Jabba the Hut.

My dr. Told me that I could go without it in the house, but to wear it when I was outside just as a precautionary measure for two extra weeks. Then i was more than glad to be rid of it. I even wore it when I was in the shower. My hubby would sit with the blow drier and dry the straps so i could put the d*mn, I mean dear thing back on...[/COLOR]

Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Thanks for the replies. My therapist had told me to start with one hour a day out of it, when that felt comfortable go to two hours, then three, etc. I figured it would take maybe two weeks to get out of it. It went well up until five hours. Then I had so much pain at night, shooting stabbing pains whenever I tried to move, that I went back to shorter times. I think my muscles were just so overtaxed that I couldn't keep myself aligned right when I tried to log roll. The therapist told me to get back up to five hours and then just hang out there for a week or two. I'm not happy with this! I was fairly comfortable in the brace, but now that I'm out of it for a number of hours each day, I'm not confident without it yet but I don't feel right in it, either. Carol, I appreciate the reassurance that I'm not going to hurt anything by ditching it. Maybe that's what I need to do at this point. No pelvic tilts, though. Everything from T4 on down is fused, so that ain't gonna happen!

Jill, your surgery was probably the closest to mine. You were T10 on down, right? So you were able to get rid of your brace after two weeks of wearing it just when you went out? (You made me laugh out loud! You don't miss that dear brace, do you?) I've been in this thing (TLSO) for 6 months, trying to wean for the last month now.

Well, I'm hurtin', but you guys have given me hope. I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and neck yesterday. I'll be glad when I'm past this phase!

I think I'll make it into a planter.

Thanks again. You guys came through once again! What would I do without you?!

Emily

Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Emily,
What has happened is that your muscles have grown to rely on the brace to do all the work that they used to do. Now they have to grow back up and take responsibility for themselves and they are crancky!

after 4 months in that puppy I was ready to design clothes for it! When my doc. told me to take it off, the caveat was the extra 2 weeks outside with it on. And to be truthful it was a security shell at that point. You could hardly call that hard thing a blanket. My two best friends even took me out shopping for clothes to go back to work in with that dear dear brace on. Boy you sure sweat in it.

I think that it will come down to you regaining your confidence. Remember that when you go back into it you are letting the brace do the work for your muscles. Personally, ditch the darn near wonderful thing and go solo. Bite the bullet, take extra drugs, and just do your normal walking. I ws walking holding on to the wheel chair so I wouldn't fall (my left leg wsa gimpy).

Decide where you are comfortable with it and go from there. You won't hurt anything, except the muscles that are spoiled through lack of work!

YOU GO GIRL!
Jill[/COLOR]

Old 03-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

That makes a lot of sense and I think I knew that, but I've been in that Egyptian river again (you know, da Nile). I know I've gotta just do it. I have not put it on today and I'm determined not to. A little extra Vicodin...

Thanks for being there! I love you guys!

Emily

Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Becareful on those meds ! No extra's here
Just kidding..

Closed Thread