It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

myhearthurts HB User
Painkillers dont work

I have degenerative disk disease in my lumbar, sacrum and cervical areas. I am only 22 yrs old and my pain management doctor has had me on 15mg oxycodone 4x day. I just started taking painkillers again after being off of them for months but they are not working anymore. I went from taking them 2x day to being RXed the 4x day within a 2 week period this time. I dont think I need a higher quantity though. I was wondering if it is normal for painkillers to not help degenerative arthritis at all? What kind of medication can help if opoids dont work? Is it not working cause I am stressed out very often?
thanks
mel

Old 03-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
(female)

kye021 HB User
Re: Painkillers dont work

I wish I knew what was wrong with my back. How were you diagnosed with this problem.I have had back problems for about 6 years and no one can tell me what is wrong. It's hard being in pain with no answers. Very depressing. My doctor has me on all kinds of pain killers that don't work. If I don't feel comfortable with the dosage or the medication itself I try to research it or ask the doctor alot of questions that worry me about the pill. Then if your insticts are telling you no then I'd rather not take them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I too don't know what is causing my pain. The doctors say it's arthritis and ddd. But I have all kinds of "stuff" happening with my arms and legs. Myhearthurts might want to ask her doctor about gabapentin and maybe cymbalta. I'm on both of those, along with others, because most of the pain killers don't work on nerve pain. I was told a long time ago that the best I can hope for is a 2 on the 10 scale.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
(male)

tattman HB User

Myhearthurts:
Just read your post and sorta know what you are talking about. I have to take tablets for the pain in my back 4 times a day so that equals 8 tablets but sometimes I even have to take a muscle relaxing tablet to get me through the day. Some time it does take time for the tablets that we take to get fully into our systems. And once they are there they work better. So maybe this could be what has happened in your case. But now to what actually happens to me and this is true. because. I will take my tablets as per normal. And all of a sudden I can feel them working (within half an hour) it really nice when this happens. The pain goes down to a managable 3 out of 10. But then, when you are due to take more tablets even sometimes from the same packet.You sit there waiting for the pain to lower but nothing. You feel no better that you did before you took them. I don't know why this happens but it does, and to this day it still happens. I know this is no help to you but I thought that if you have this type of information it may help answer a few questions. And just one little thought beware of other forum sites about back complaints. I have found at least 2 other sites out there and all they want you to do is buy their product and if you question them they cut you from their site for a month. And most of the people on these sites follow the operators like little sheep. I spoke my mind got kicked off they don't like people how have their own thoughts. Unlike this site where no one is selling a thing its just people with the same complaints trying to help out. So it well done to the site. So you take care and all the best from the Tattman.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

If tolerance develops, you may need to switch to a different pain med. Also that woosey feeling doesn't always corrolate to a given level of pain control. If you look for the feeling, and don't get it, you can psych yourself to the point where there is no pain control. Sometimes after being on a given med for a while, I think people forget that their baseline for woosey has been raised and don't realize it

Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
(male)

painful paul HB User

I agree with all of the above. To add a couple more things. Percocet seems to be the worst, but it seems that if I take 10 mg on an empty stomach it equals 3 of the same thing after a meal. It also seems like Ultram releives pain better than percocet sometimes. Also if you take the meds at the first sign of pain, they are lot more effective. They can't catch up with severe pain very well. I also take them with lots of water. Its supposed to get the medicine through the stomach lining instead of further down the chute and do better. If none of that works, they can switch you to different types of meds instead of just increasing dosage. For example: There is a high power vicadin out now that binds to different pain receptors in the base of the spinal cord, compared with percocet. I have not personally confirmed that yet. I am doing almost dealable pain with perks and ultram.

BTW: Great Posts!!

Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I was taking 15mg perc's 1 every 12 hours and MsContin 30Mg 1 evry 12 hours..I come to think that pain meds don't take away the pain it just helps you cope with it..If the perc's aint helping you better tell your doc ,thats pretty strong meds..Oh , and be very careful they are VERY addicting. I had a hard time quiting cold turkey...That was a horrible feeling to.

What is your history with your back ?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I to take them without food so they work better. All the meds work different with different people. Its trial and error plus, over time we have to have more etc they quit working. Cymbalta is good for depression and chronic pain to but it doesn't illiminate back pain. I am taking that to.

The other meds are for nerve pain, you haven't mentioned that.

Have you beed to pt, are you walking etc.- None of this stuff is fun, how many levels are degenerated?

Closed Thread