It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

saversano HB User
Help. What is it like to check in to the hospital + prepare

Hey Guys ,
I hope you're all feelin a little better .. For those of you who actually had a discectomy (open or micro).Please explain your surgery experience ?
Did they put you out in the post op room ? Or the Theatre ? This is the most difficult part to deal with for many of us who are scheduled for it.
My biggest fear is seeing the surgeon with his knives when I go in..I will have a heart attack !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Help. What is it like to check in to the hospital + prepare

Hi: With every back surgery and other surgeries, they put me out in the surgery room, not in pre-op waiting, because you need to be awake just in case there is a delay in scheduling, which happened to me many times. Once you get into the OR, they check your blood pressure etc, move you to the surgical table, ask a couple of questions and then start the iv and you're OUT. This all happens pretty fast and you don't see anything except the surgeons, nurses and what's ever in the room. You don't see any of the surgical equipment, other than iv, oxygen mask. I always checked the clock right before the iv, for some stupid reason.

I've had 7 fusions all PLIF's with various other procedures, and some times they give you pre-op meds and sometimes they don't. I think that if you want the pre-op med to calm you, all you have to do is ask for it if you don't automatically get it. Just remember you'll have no recollection of time, so once your out your next memory is waking, which seems like a couple of seconds. Most of my back surgeries took at least 4- 5 hours, but you have no memory of it. In your case it will be much shorter, I'm sure.

Good luck, I'll let the others mention their particular info with the surgery you're having.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 04-04-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
(female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Hi,

You won't see any knives or anything like that before you are wheeled in the OR. They give you a "sedative" like drug before going in, it makes you pretty sleepy and you are not put under anethesia until you are in the OR. When you get to the hospital they put you in a room or a room divided by curtains and they have you dress in a johnie, take your history and give you an IV. The process takes sometime, my husband and my mom were with me the whole time until they were ready to take me in to OR. The surgeon comes and talks to you and the family before you go in also. Please try not to stress out about this. You will be fine. Positive thoughts. I hope this eased your anxiety. When is your surgery? Take care.

Angie

Old 04-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

bailey17 HB User

I just had a laminectomy done in Jan so this is still fresh on my mind. I also have had a micro D. What they did with me was I waited in the pre-op area like the others have said. The first time with the micro d I had the iv started after I was back in the OR. This time with the laminectomy it was started before I headed into the OR. I was greeted by the anestesiologist(sp??) both times before surgery and asked a bunch of questions and then they wheeled me into the OR. Once in the OR I was given some meds to relax me and they started putting on the compression stockings (to avoid the risk of blood clots) while they waited for the Dr to arrive. My Dr popped in and asked me a few questions before I was out like a light. Next thing I new I was out of the OR and in the recovery room recouping. I never once saw any of the instruments lying in wait for me. I hope all goes well for you and that your fears have been diminished a little bit. I think they already know you are scared to death they try and make it as comfortable as possible. At least that is what I have expereinced. Good Luck!!!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
(male)

saversano HB User

Hello , Thanks for asnwering so quickly. I will be having an open discectomy in May probably..I havent scheduled it yet because I have to get another MRI to see how the disc has changed. I just feel that everyone who gets a surgery starts a surgery trend getting more and more...

Old 04-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
(male)

saversano HB User

7 fusions ? Are you trying to give me a heart attack ? Thats what I fear ...Im thinking stick with the pain I know ... DO you think Im off base ?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
(male)

saversano HB User

Bailey 17 ,
I just wanted to ask you ... Why did you need 2 different procedures ? Does the first one usually fail ? Was it different disc levels ? Please do tell...

Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
(female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Hi,
Just a note to give you courage and some info about what happens pre-op. I have had many surgeries , but this was my first back surgery - a micro-d. You will get a set arrival time - which is usually hours before your surgery. The first thing they check and recheck to make sure they have the right pt. and the correct procedure on the correct body part. Your vitals are taken, and you are asked to change into the "gown". An IV is usually started. You will be asked over and over and over again your name, and the procedure. Your fam can stay with you.
Finally you are wheeled to the "holding area". IF you are nervous ask for a med, they will give it to you. Your are then wheeled in the surgery theater. You will meet all those who will be involved with your procedure. You will be asked to transfer yourself to the table - whoa - that is the scary part. BUT, if you have the sedative coursing through your veins it won't be that bad. A mask will be put over your nose and mouth and you will be asked to think peaceful thoughts - yeah right - and the you will drift off to a deep sleep. What seemed like only minutes will actually be hours, and you will be in the recovery room. Aaah thank God for the pain meds. Just give a holler if you are uncomfortable.
See its not that bad. When it is all over, you will be dissing yourself, because you were over anxious. Hopefully you will have a speedy recovery.
My herniated/sequestered disc - really shouldn't have been. ( Probably from my accident and too much heavy lifting by the pond ) My discs are good for my age and I don't have any other troubles in my spine - thank God. So this was ( touch wood ) my one and only back surgery - I pray.
God bless
Kay

Old 04-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

When I arrived at the hospital, they put me in that cute little hospital gown, some wonderful blue slippers, started an iv, wrapped me up in warm blankets, asked me a zillion questions, the anthesiologist and doctor came in, I signed the surgical consent, they put a band around my head (past surgical awarenss issue) to monitor brain waves, we prayed together, chatted, and hubby and I smouched. My anthesologist put that gorgeous hat on me and as she started wheeling me out of the holding room she whisphered I gave you something........I have no memories of anything else. Not the OR, recovery, etc. I woke up to my hubby and pastor in my hospital room telling me to push the pain pump button.

Really the hardest part is waiting in the holding room. Make sure someone is there that will crack jokes or keep you occupied and you will be fine.

Last edited by ms_west; 04-05-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

my experience for a double fusion was pretty much like 123dietdrpepper and hurtie0607.

the worse part was the 24 hrs before time. once I hit the hospital things happened fast.. a few mins in the waiting room, off to pre op and get rigged up (friends/family can stay with you there). all the involved docs and nurses wandered in and out and asked questions, drew on charts, drew on my body and other odd things.. my fiancee, the doctor and myself prayed together then suddenly the anesthesiologist came back in and said "here, breath this" as they wheeled me down the (short) hall to the OR. which was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I started to look around and

*DISCONTINUITY*

wake up in post. they ask you who you are etc. the pain pump was on and I felt fine, even pain wise. I thought something had gone wrong and they didnt do the fusion, there was that little discomfort. I had to ask "is it done?" - Yup. if you arent comfy, tell the nurse and theyll dose you up. exercise your thumb now so you can hit the pain pump button with no problem.

the surgery part is really easy. the recovery is harder unfortunately.

edit:
btw I never saw the surgical instruments going in. I think theyre deliberately hidden. lucky for me; Ive seen them since.

Last edited by zeroman; 04-05-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

That's pretty much the story, with some minor variations from hospital to hospital. My husband was allowed to go to the second check-in room with me, but once they took me in to change into the ventilated gown, he had to say goodbye. No family was allowed back there. I was taken to a pre-op room with little separate cubicles where I laid in a regular hospital bed and had a private nurse who never left me. She asked me a bunch more questions and did all sorts of the normal stuff like bp, temp, etc. Someone came in and introduced himself and said he was going to put in a central line. I asked if I would be awake for that and he said yes, it wasn't too big a deal. I was a little taken aback. I didn't know they'd do a central line rather than just a regular IV. He went away to get supplies and that's the last thing I remember. I was told the doctors would be in, but I never saw them. I can only guess that they thought I was going to be agitated by putting that line into my neck so they went ahead and put me out. I never saw the OR. Just woke up in recovery with lots of blankets on me.

Everybody pre-op was very calm and professional, very kind and understanding. I thought I'd be anxious, but it was really fine. I know it helped that friends came and sat with my husband for the whole 6+ hours and prayed me through it.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
(female)

OnHold HB User

Wow, what a great thread. I just read through it and realized I was gripping the side of the computer stand and not breathing real well . . . guess the nervous reaction is the norm . . . but it actually helps to know exactly how those little details happen so you can prepare yourself.

The one thing that's got me sweating is the thought of a central line in your neck. Is that a common surgical thing?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
(female)

bailey17 HB User

[QUOTE=saversano;2902627]Bailey 17 ,
I just wanted to ask you ... Why did you need 2 different procedures ? Does the first one usually fail ? Was it different disc levels ? Please do tell...[/QUOTE]

I had the micro D on L5-S1 on June 1,2006. In a nutshell it did fail. I think the problem was not with my surgeon or me not doing the right thing post op it was that I probably needed the more invasive procedure from the get go. I am not sorry I had the micro-d. I was in excruciating pain and no one should have to live like that. It wasn't a life!!!! I never was 100% better after surgery but feeling better than pre-op. Then around October the pain started getting really bad again and I was back to square one. Called my suregeon and was put on predinsone step down pack, anti-inflamatories and pain killers and started back up with Physical therapy. When none of that touched the pain I was sent for another MRI and was diagnosed this time with a disc re-herniation at the same level and spinal stenosis and had always had some DDD. Lucky ME!!!!!!!! The stenosis did not show up on the previous MRI. But that one was ordered by another neuro who was a moron and didn;t order my 1st MRI with contrast like my second did. So on Jan 25ht I had the laminectomy done and knock on wood I feel like I have never had back pain ever most days!!!!!! I have been doing my stretches and following DRs orders to not bend twist or lift. You are the only one who can decide what is best for you but don't let someone elses negative experience daunt you. I check in now and again to show others that there are some positive outcomes with back surgery they don't always have to be negative. The problem seems to be once people feel better they leave the boards and then you tend to read about the people who unfortunatly don't have good outcomes. Again even though my micro D didn't work for me does not mean that it can't work for you! Best of luck and keep me posted. I'm here rootin for ya!

Karen

Old 04-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

[QUOTE=OnHold;2904198]The one thing that's got me sweating is the thought of a central line in your neck. Is that a common surgical thing?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how many here have had that, but even though I was not thrilled about it when the guy came in to do it, in the long run I was very glad I had it. I never had to get stuck at all, except for the Arterial Blood Gas, which comes from an artery, not a vein. Every time they had to take blood or give me anything, no sticks! The central line had three ports, so by day 8 two of them weren't so great anymore, but the third got me through. It was just unexpected to have it, and it gets stitched in, so it was a little alarming to think about. It really ended up not being a big deal, and it saved me getting stuck over and over again. If I had a choice about it now, I would choose getting the central line!

Blessings,
Emily

Old 04-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I had to have one the day after surgery because my iv messed up and they could not restart it after 3 people, and 6 sticks later they decided it was the best thing to do. It was so much easier. I had no more sticks the remainder of my visit.

Closed Thread