It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

hughes17 HB User
Severe Back Pain W/bad Stomach Cramps

Last year (late spring/early summer) I started having occasional "episodes" of extreme back pain (severe tightness along the whole back) and really bad, painful stomach cramps. It felt like someone was squeezing my insides really tight. It brings me to tears when the pain is at its worst. Last june I had an attack so bad in the middle of the night that it woke me up and I had to go to the emergency room. They took x-rays, but couldn't find anything to explain it. They just sent me home with some flexeril and some other pain killer. I've had a few more attacks like this of unbearable pain in my back & stomach since then. They did stop from about october until I had another one about a week ago. The attacks come on very suddenly with no warning. I took a flexeril the other night when it started up again, but the pain still lasted for about an hour and a half and then it just goes away. During the pain though, it feels like I need to go to the bathroom because of the stomach cramping, but i'm unable to go until the pain goes away. Any ideas what might be bringing this pain on? I know I need to go to the doctors, I was just wondering if anyone else ever experienced anything similar to this.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Severe Back Pain W/bad Stomach Cramps

That could be a whole lot of different things. I would start with your GP and go from there. I urge you not to delay any longer. Some things are best treated quickly. It's already been almost a year. Please give your GP a call om Monday morning and get the ball rolling for a diagnosis. There are a lot of tests that can and should be done. It's good to have pain meds, but you don't want to use them to get you through and not deal with the root problem. I know when it seems like it's gone away it seems like a waste of time and money to go to a doctor, but it doesn't seem to be cleared up. It keeps coming back. So something's going on in there that needs to be identified.

Wish you the best! Let us know what you find out.
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

Agree with Emily. What is weird about our innards is that they don't necessarily have sensory nerves of their on. They tend to "borrow" other body parts nerves. For example you can have stomach pain radiating to the bac and is a sign of pancreatitis. Kidney stones hurt in your back. Bowel problems can hurt in your back. There are ducts from various organs that can be blocked by stones.

Time for a work-up to see what it is.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I have had several friends when the gallbladder went out had back pain

Old 04-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
(female)

hughes17 HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will definitely give my doctor a call on Monday and get this looked at.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
(male)

ejreiss HB User

And since you've noticed it feels like you have to go to the bathroom, how is that going. Do you think you are a little constipated. That can cause some problems ranging from some discomfort all the way up to severe pain. Pain killers definitely can cause that and I was just wondering how your doing with your poopies?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
(female)

sheri42 HB User

Hello,
I have been dealing with these same exact attacks you describe. My doctor is suspecting endemetriosis. I get these horrible attacks for no reason and somehow my bowel and back is involved. It seems to happen around ovulation time and before my period. There is no warning. When it happens I cant even talk. I almost called an ambulance the first time. Ibuprofen 800 mgs helps stop the attack after about an hour. Not sure if this is what is wrong with you but this is what my doc is going to check for. I have to go in for endoscopy. Good Luck.
Sheri

Old 04-08-2007, 04:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sheri -- I had endometrosis if you ever want to talk.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
(female)

hughes17 HB User

Sheri,

Thank you for your information. I never even thought about endometrosis. I will ask my doctor about that. I've written on a couple health forums and you're the first person who has said that they are experiencing the same type of "attacks". I'm sorry you're going through that pain too, it's really awful to go through it. Thanks again for your reply.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
(female)

sheri42 HB User

yes, it is bad. I have been having this for the last couple of years. I dont have it every single month either. I dont know where it comes from. I suspect that if I do have this, that my bowels are effected and my bladder. I have had 3 kids and these attacks are worse than labor. At least with labor you get a minute between contraction. These attacks affect my spine too. It really is undescribable. I was complaining of pain on my left side and ultrasound showed an ovarian cyst. These usually go away in a cycle or two. MIne has been there for several cycles and is a sign of endo. Maybe you should see a gyn. Let me know if yo get any relief or a diagnoses because I am right there with ya.
Sheri

Old 04-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I had a hysterectomy at 24 from endometroisis. It affected my bladder (blockages) and bowels (adhered to my abdominal cavity). It can be very wicked. I will pray that you do not have it.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
(female)

sheri42 HB User

That is so odd. I had my first attack around June and then nothing until September. Now I have had around 5 attacks and I also feel as though I have to go to bathroom but cant. I have that sensation to go. This is way worse than period cramps. This is oh my god, I cant stand, talk, lay, nothing but bite a towel kinda pain. I do get an ibuprofen 800 mg right away and the heating pad now. The whole thing last about an hour and a half and them poof gone. So very weird. Sometimes right before my period or during I feel like someone kicked me in my tummy. Also. I have not had this pain while bleeding. I have been doing some research on endo and it does seem to fit. I still need scope for confirmation. Good -Luck again and let me know if you find out what it is or any relief.
Sheri

Closed Thread