It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

PackGirl HB User
water aerobics?

Does anyone do water aerobics for therapy? I've gone to a deep water aerobics class for the last three years. I had to stop going when my leg pain was so bad, about four month before my surgery. I just couldn't handle the whole hour, the class is really intense.

But, after my incision heals, I know my teacher would let me come back and do things at my own pace. I'm just not sure what I should do that would be safe. Should I just go and water walk carefully. I guess it would be best to just do things that kept my back straight and kept my knees at a less than 90 degree angle, does that make sense?

We do lots of arm strengthening stuff in the class. Could I do that? Or, would it put too much pressure on my back. Guess that's like lifting more than 5 pounds. But, I could do the motion with just the water resistance, right and no weights, right?

I could go to a less-intense class, but they're all during the day and I'm hoping to be back at work within the next six weeks or so. I'd really appreciate your advice. I know my teacher would let me go in a corner and do my thing. I'm just not sure what my thing should be, just common sense?

Thanks, folks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: water aerobics?

Talk to your doctor.
I am 9 weeks post op from a fusion. My doctor has told me that water therapy is the best -- not swimming. He said begin with walking in the pool, as the weeks go by gradually making your step a little higher, and ankle rotations. Definitely no swimming or aerobics.

Last edited by HBMod07; 04-08-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Please do not type in all capital letters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

PackGirl HB User

Gosh, Of course I would plan to ask him. I'd have to because my incision isn't healed yet. He'll have to tell my about all of my limitations.

[removed]

Last edited by HBMod07; 04-08-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi pack girl, I have been doing PT since I was 5 weeks post op. I have not done the water therapy thing yet, but plan too. My doc and therapist say walking in the water is good but no swimming. Next time you see your doc ask him or her and see what limitiations you may have in the pool and on land. I hope you find something that works well for you!

Rose

Old 04-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Packgirl: I did water therapy at 3 mos post-op but not before, because that's what my Dr insisted on. I would think that when you return, it will be when your Dr say's you can.

Did you go to a PT office for your water therapy or was it through someone else? If you can find a PT office that has a pool I think that would be better than say a city that runs a water aerobics class, since a PT knows more about back surgery rehab.

I went for 1 1/2 years after surgery, but that was before my insurance put a cap on PT.

When you return, just make sure you go at your own pace, and a good PT would know that's necessary. I know how strenuous those classes are, but what I did was start out in a 1 on 1 class with the PT, then slowly moved up to the group class when I was able, which was more difficult. At some point you might want to move to shallower water when you can handle the gravity, but start out in the deep water.

Good Luck

Old 04-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
(male)

fusionman HB User

Packgirl,

It appears from what others have written here that most doctors vary how they handle the post-op recovery period. Having said that the main rule they all adhere to is not to bend, twist or lift anything during the early stages.

Iím 10 weeks post-op from a 2 level fusion with rods and screws. My incision is in the front. I called my doctor this past week and he gave me the go ahead to swim, no restrictions at all. I went for the first time the other day and swan the front crawl for 20 minutes. I did take in consideration that my doctor is perhaps not as cautious as others, so I swam very slowly. Also, I plan on swimming every other day as opposed to everyday. I donít wish to overdo it this early in the recovery process. Itís very easy to overdo it when one starts to feel good. Others on here have paid the price when they went just a little too far and no one here wants to see that happen to you. So please for your own sake go easy.

fusionman

Closed Thread