It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

littlered550 HB User
pain while sleeping in the bed--recliner ok?

Hi folks--I posted a while back about my calf pain post-op. I have L5 disc removed 4 weeks ago. No posts or screws--dr. said the two vertebrae will fuse together on their own. You helped so much by suggesting I call the dr. and ask about neurontin, which I knew nothing about before. He put me on it, along with Valium, and at least I have some hope now that I will be ok. Here's the weird thing. I can sleep on the recliner and get up feeling fine--not much pain, I can walk pretty easily, etc. Every couple nights I try sleeping in the bed and the mornings are horrendous! Back pain at surgical site, terrible hip pain. I have to walk/shuffle for an hour, take advil, neurontin, valium, all at one time before I can get moving. Is it just that sleeping on my side irritates something? Bad mattress? It feels ok to me, but is over 10 years old. Do any of you have this problem?? I can't sleep in the recliner forever! Maybe after more healing will this problem go away?? Please let me know if any of you experience the same thing. You're all so wonderful and supportive! Thank you.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: pain while sleeping in the bed--recliner ok?

I don't know if you should be doing it or not. But i would think whatever works is what you should do ya know? I hope you find releif, I am sure after time things will get better. Wishing you the best, vette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am not a doctor but I feel if it doesn't hurt go ahead.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
(male)

Davesport HB User

To tell you he truth, I've about given up on matresses and am going shopping for a recliner that fits me well. I am hoping this will help with acid reflux from NSAIDS too.

From the matress, I shuffle over to the treadmill. About six minutes is the magic number for me before I can face the world (meaning being able to shave over the sink, get ready and go to work). To be honest with you and myself, I take a Lortab, multi-vatamin, and glucosamine and chondroitin on my way to the treadmill.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi

I can relate to your problem in not being able to sleep in bed!!

When i first herniated my disc 2 yrs ago i spent 9 month sleeping in my recliner.

I moved 10 months ago an couldnt bring it with me an i do try and sleep in bed now but i suffer with chronic lower back pain an buttock pain in both sides.

For some reason my sofa seems tobe abit more comfortable.

I say sleep where youbare able even though as you say its not along term solution.

Best wishes

Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
(male)

tattman HB User

I'm a post opprative person who like you is have trouble with sleeping. To this day I will wake at least 2 to 4 times a night. Like you I thought it was the mattress. To a big point it has been that. But we actually go out and buy a new mattress about every 3 to 4 years. But when it comes to sleeping it in the same problems come right back.
I know that there are bed out there just like in hospital where they can bend up and lower. So maybe this is something that you should look at. Before we go out to buy a new mattress in another couple of year we'll go hunting for one of them.
But what I do now is use a pillow under my knees on the really bad days. Where just for the life of me can not get any comfort on being on my back. But place a pillow under my knees and I can sleep. But like I said I still wake up thoughout the night.
The pillow seems to take the pressure of my lower back and then I can sleep. On these nights, which are becomming more frequent again. I can only sleep on my back as to get on my sides hurt too much.
I think that there is places out there where you can buy special things like this but I just use a firm pillow and this does work for me. But like I said I still wake throughout the night. And do the old shuffle walk.
So please give this a go, It has worked for me and its cheaper than a new mattress.
I still have to take my painies and muscle relaxant tablets each and every night and sometime sleeper. To get to sleep. Just know that we are here to give out the right advice as we see it or what has worked for us. No tricks or hidden agendas. Like on other back sites. Take care and i hope this works for you as it does for me. The Tatman.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
(female)

Jungleland HB User

Boy can I relate to this post! I am 8 weeks post L4-5 micro D and I try to sleep in bed with DH but I sleep horribly with constant repositioning and in the morning it takes me nearly an hour to "get moving" and join the world! I find if I sleep on either the recliner or sometimes the couch, I am not nearly as painful in the morning. I am hoping this is a temporary thing and that I can sleep in my own bed some day soon!!!

Sorry for your pain, not fun at all!!

Hugs,
Vickie
Diskectomy in 1994 L4-5
Re-do emergency L4-5 diskectomy on 2/11/07

Old 04-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
(male)

tattman HB User

Sorry but it's me again. I was supposted to make these coments on the first reply but got side tracked. Its about your back operation. You said that (I have L5 disc removed 4 weeks ago. No posts or screws--dr. said the two vertebrae will fuse together on their own). Well as far as I know, what you had done was a Lamonectomy.
This is what I had done the first time to me totally exactlly the same. Now here's why I had to reply to you on this.
It was within 6 months that I began to feel the same pain again. But being under workers comp. It was delayed in a hope that I would just go away. Finally I was refered to another orthopedic doctor and he told me that if nothing is put in the place of what they took out there was no way it would or could repaire itself. I had to wait 18 months to get these fixations places where my disc should have been.
I just again thought that you should know about this part. I have had 3 operations done and not one has worked. But hopefully your's will. But by the sounds of it, it hasn't worked and this is the tricky part you might well be looking at another operation to make your back stable. My orthopedic doc said it the domino effect.
I'm sorry for writting this but this is what happened to me and the more you are informed the better you are armed next time you see your doctor. Again all the best from the Tattman.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
(female)

littlered550 HB User

Thanks so much for all the replies and info. I'm glad I'm not alone. I thought there was some weird thing wrong with me that I couldn't sleep in that stupid bed!! I feel so much better just knowing that other people experience the same thing when getting out of bed. And to Tattman: I did just recently hear about the domino effect thing. Get one disc out and the next one goes a while later. I had to have the dr. explain it three times to me about how the vertebrae will fuse together on their own without screws/grafts, etc. My dr. is the best in the area, so I said "go ahead--take out whatever you want, just get rid of this pain!!". I do feel so much better now. As for the bed, well, I guess hubby will just have to sleep alone for a while longer--it's back on the recliner for me!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:31 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Hi all.. Can't speak for myself. i am one of the lucky ones who has herniated 4 different disks at different times and never required surgery. They have all healed on thier own. Took a long time and have pain on occassion if I lift too much but all the same am pretty much pain free. Hubby on the other hand herniated 4 disks that herniated out both sides. Had two removed with no fusion 3 yeara ago. Had an MRI and EMG done in the past couple of months and ortho and neuro both agreed it all looks good. No nerve compression anymore, nothing is shifting. Not to say someday he won't have a problem. Onto the recliner. After his back surgery he slept in the recliner for at least 3-4 months. Would try the bed and just couldn't do it. He does now but it took awhile. i thought the pressure on the lumbar was a bad thing but his surgeon told him to sleep in whatever way he could. Wishing all of you the best.

ICC

Old 04-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
(female)

stxhockey926 HB User

My doctor says that as long as its comfortable, sleeping in a recliner is fine. The recliner for me ended up being the only way to get a half way decent night of sleep. Just make sure its comfortable for you obviously

Closed Thread