It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

Mandrel99 HB User
How long is hospital stay after fusion?

Hello Everyone.
So my surgery is coming up so fast. It feels like it was just 7 weeks ago when I was scheduling it. Now it is only three weeks away. I am trying to figure out who will pick me up from the hospital and who will be home with me a few days after. It is such a mission. But anyway, I am going in May 1 to have a l5-S1 fusion. And was wondering how long everyone stayed in the hospital for. I know everyone is different and there can be problems, but just getting a ball park. If I am going in Tuesday, do you think I may be released on Friday???

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: How long is hospital stay after fusion?

[COLOR="Navy"]I had a three level fusion done and my surgeon told me three to five days in the hospital, so it doesn't sound un-realistic to shoot for a Friday. What did they tell you?[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
(male)

Chris1964 HB User

Mandrel,

Good luck with surgery! I hope the procedure helps in your recovery. You might want to ask your insurance company if you are eligible for home care assistance immediately following your release from the hospital. Or, ask your doctor office for some guidance in this area. You might be able to get an aide or even a nurse to come in your home and help, but you need to be the one to ask.

From what I understand the hospital stay is usually 3-5 days following a fusion. There is a really good post on this board that talks about how to be prepared following surgery. I wish I had read it before I had surgery as there were so many great points. I don't remember who wrote it, but if you can't find it let me know.

Take care, Chris

Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi Mandrell!

I had my fusion Tuesday, March 27th and was released Friday. I felt well enough to go home Thursday. I had the ALIF L5/S1. I hope your surgery goes well. It was much better than I expected it to be. :-)

Harmony

Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
(female)

cherish1 HB User

I was supposed to have my surgery on a Thursday morning and was told I would go home Sunday or Monday - 3-5 days.

I ended up having the surgery late Thursday night (12 hours+ late) and went home Saturday morning. Not even a day and a half. I was in shock!!

Apparently, I did too well to remain. It really messed me up mentally because I had a 2 hour car ride home!! That was not fun, let me tell you.

Good luck - hope you do really well!
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

Hey there. 3-5 days is corrct as for the time you will stay...most people stay 5 days, I think.
Things that I brought with me that helped were: Lifesavers b/c I couldn't eat, but I had a very dry mouth. IPod for daydreams instead of thinking about the pain for anything. Don't think I'm crazy, but I brought Lavender spray for my bed and it made me feel Like I was at home at night in bed. My glasses. Cell phone. Slippers...slip proof. And most importantly, drawstring pants and button down top....I had thoracic fusion, so I could lift my right arm for 2 months. And self foaming Dove face clensers for my face, and a small bottle of Purell b/c I couldn't wash my hands for 3 days.

Good Luck friend!

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I was in for 8 days. Low blood pressure sent me to ICU instead of orthopedics. Didn't get to the ortho floor til day 5. Didn't even get up until day 5, as I would start to pass out. This is not the norm, though. 3-5 days is the norm, but some go home even sooner.

Look at the top of the page for "Post surgery tips." It will help you to get a good idea of what to expect and some things you can do ahead of time to make your recovery easier.

Lots of people here have been through it already and can give you help and support. Whatever questions you have, please ask away. Nothing is too small or silly or too serious to ask.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I had fusion L5-S1 Tlif four weeks ago. I was there four days. I was up moving the night of surgery, remember to walk, walk, walk.

I had no time for books, ipods, tv anything. I was drugged and only awake for minimal amounts of times, thank you jesus. I had no use for anything else, but socks, change of undies a brush someone brushed my hair with, that's it.

I would recommend a trashbag to sit on in the car, it acts like a washer to turn, to bad they didn't give on in the hospital bed.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I had l5/s1 fusion and was told to expect to stay from 3 to 5 days. I went home on day 4.

I will lift you up in prayer on May 1st.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

I had a double fusion. They went in front and back. It was at the L4-L5 and the L5-S1 and I was in the hospital 8 days. Good luck on your surgery.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
(male)

Dnunan28 HB User

Greetings,

I too am going under the knife on May 1, Was told 3-4 days for a stay, im hoping as loong as I need to keep the pain controlled and make sure I can do it myself before I go home, rather than finding out when I get home I cant get the pain down to be comfortable.

Im having a double fusion, l4-5 and l5-6 (im a weirdo and have an extra) and I have to say I am scared to death about this whole thing! I have the bad back and leg pain and I know its the thing to do, I am just really nervous about it.

You all take care and Ill be in touch soon (im working as much as I can to stay busy and not think about it).

Aaron

Old 04-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Dnunan - there are several of us on the board who have the extra vertebrae so you are not a wierdo. I will lift you up in prayer on the 1st too.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I also was in the hospital on day 4 the first day had alot of problems controling the pain and did not get up until day 2 but made good progress after that. Dr really wanted me to stay 1 more day but agreed since I had good help at home to let me go on day 4.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
(female)

Mandrel99 HB User

Thanks everyone so much for replying. I know my doctor told me 3-5 days, I was just making sure that is what actually happened. I know there are situations, like my last surgery, lami/diskectomy, they couldn't get my pain under control so I was there for about 3. I really appreciate your support, it is a scary thing to go through!!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi Mandrel,

I want to assure you it's not as scary as you think. I was pleasantly surprised. It's not piece of cake of course, but not near as bad as I thought it would be. I had a L5/S1 anterior fusion March 27th so I am 2 weeks post op today.

Take care! Don't worry, we are here to support you and pray for you. The support here meant a lot to me.

Harmony

Last edited by Harmony5; 04-10-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Closed Thread