It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
(male)

Porter107 HB User
Doc says hes never heard of my kind of pain before!

Hey Everyone,
I ewnt to my scheduled appointment with my surgeon (L/4-L5/S1 fusion Jan 10th 07) I again told hom about my ongoing pain in my left shin to my foot) I explained to him it felt like a sunburn at times and always feels like its burning (this is the third time I have told him) this time he tells me that he has never heard of this type of pain in all the years he has practiced. I got a little miffed about his attitude and told him that he knew about his since I woke from surgery and told me it was nerve pain and should get better, he said "why are you so defensive?" I told him I was not being defensive I was upset that he was not listening to me when I have told him over and over again about this pain. I told him that the last ime I saw him he did not want to look at the picture I took of my leg that showed the reddness and swelling that I sometimes got, he said "What picture?" I could not believe it because we had a big discussion about it. Anyway, he prescribed 3 months of PT and walked out of the room. I cant believe this guy, he keeps on about how fantastic the surgery was (even though he accidently cut 2 arteries during surgery) he does not want to hear that I still have some pain from surgery. Am I alone or are there others out there that have this type of burning pain on their shin and foot ?(the arch to the big toe) if so please let me know.

Porter

Old 04-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: Doc says hes never heard of my kind of pain before!

What a jerk, man I'd like to go over there myself. I was just thinking of you the other day and was gonna start a thread, and got lost obviously. what a jerk.

I have had burning in my feet, its nerve pain. The neurotin and cymbalta helped it immensley.

I can't believe this jerk acting like he doesn't remember you taking in the pictures...are you going in alone without witnesses?

Can you find another doctor? This is such BS. I'm sorry, it makes me so mad..I am not giving any good advice, cause I am ******. What a jerk,

Are they giving you any nerve meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Porter I just have pain running along the 4 small toes, top of foot and below the foot. At times it is *****ly, at times it is achy, at times it just plain hurts and I can't tell you where it hurts or how it hurts it just hurts. Sounds weird I know.

Obviously the pain you are having is a nerve and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to diagnosis that. It sounds like your doctor is not willing to admit there is a problem. I think it is time to see another doctor for a second opinion.

I suspect he has not ordered an mri/ct scan. At least, has he given you some nerve medicines??

Last edited by ms_west; 04-15-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Porter: Yes that's classic sciatic pain, I've had that for years. Isn't this the Dr that asked you "if you took the picture, and is it your foot?" Can't he remember saying that!!! I remembered it, "if" I got it right?

My pain is from permanent damage, so I hope you don't have that. It's possible that the pain will subside, but I know how mad you are. I had new nerve pain after every lumbar fusion I had, and it did subside, but I also have permanent pain, from a failed fusion and hardware. Screws fell out went through the nerve and stayed there for 9 mos because no one would listen about the pain. Of course they figured it out finally after I insisted on an MRI and Cat scan, but the damage was done. I can't blame the surgeon for hardware failure, but I can for waiting so long, but it's really maddening. In my case they had to remove all the hardware, but it took forever.

Can you see someone else for a second opinion? You are certainly not alone, many others have had this problem. Sorry but the only thing I can't think of is a fresh opinion, or an emg.

Good luck...

Old 04-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
(male)

Porter107 HB User

[QUOTE=DesertBloom;2922891]Hi Porter: Yes that's classic sciatic pain, I've had that for years. Isn't this the Dr that asked you "if you took the picture, and is it your foot?" Can't he remember saying that!!! I remembered it, "if" I got it right?

My pain is from permanent damage, so I hope you don't have that. It's possible that the pain will subside, but I know how mad you are. I had new nerve pain after every lumbar fusion I had, and it did subside, but I also have permanent pain, from a failed fusion and hardware. Screws fell out went through the nerve and stayed there for 9 mos because no one would listen about the pain. Of course they figured it out finally after I insisted on an MRI and Cat scan, but the damage was done. I can't blame the surgeon for hardware failure, but I can for waiting so long, but it's really maddening. In my case they had to remove all the hardware, but it took forever.

Can you see someone else for a second opinion? You are certainly not alone, many others have had this problem. Sorry but the only thing I can't think of is a fresh opinion, or an emg.

Good luck...[/QUOTE]

Yes thats the one. I had my wife in the room with me every time. She got real upset and said "dont you dare come back to see this jerk" I dont think I will.

Porter

Old 04-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

It seems like there should be some way to punish these doctors for neglectful, rude and uncaring, unsympathetic, not listeninging, ignoring us, and acting like we are crazy. Jerk, boy that doctor makes me mad. I wish I could bring you to my doctor!!!

If you can get into somewhere else!!! Are you taking nervemeds?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
(male)

Porter107 HB User

[QUOTE=yvette777;2922917]It seems like there should be some way to punish these doctors for neglectful, rude and uncaring, unsympathetic, not listeninging, ignoring us, and acting like we are crazy. Jerk, boy that doctor makes me mad. I wish I could bring you to my doctor!!!

If you can get into somewhere else!!! Are you taking nervemeds?[/QUOTE]

I was taking prednisone, but have not taken anything for about 2 months. They werent really working anyway.

There is another Doc in Denver that everyone keeps telling me to call, I think I will try him, I just wish it wasnt so far away (300 miles).

Porter

Old 04-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hi Porter,
So sorry yoru still suffering so. Look for a dermatome map, it is a map of the entire nervous system in your body. It can tell you exactly what level yoru nerve pain is coming from and yes that is nerve pain. I would be looking for a second opinion. I would think from the sounds of things he want to get rid of you because he made mistakes. Good luck I do hope you find relief soon. Also are you on a nerve pain med? that will help you so much.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Hi Porter,

I still have the burning and numbness from the knee to the ankle. My PA and PT said it is still coming from my back. How long has it been since you had your surgery? You may want to ask your new MD for some lryca and cymbalta or gabapenten and cymbalta. I don't think I could stand it without these meds. Over the last two weeks I tried to cut back a dose or so to see if I still need these meds; I still need these meds. There is a big difference with and without them. Sounds to me like your current MD is the one on drugs. I agree with the others about getting a new MD. I am sorry that you are having the burning sensation, it really hurts. I hope you get relief soon. Usta

Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Porter,
If I remember right, didn't that doctor ask if your face was in the picture? And since it wasn't, he said he didn't want to see it? Yeesh!

Any word on whether your original surgeon will be back in practice? Wouldn't it be great to just go back to him!

Wish you the best,
Emily

Old 04-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Paul from CA HB User

Hi porter,
can you share the dr's name?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
(male)

fshagan HB User

I have a problem with drop foot on my right foot that came on suddenly, but I have had that same 'sunburn' feeling in the shin on that foot for quite a while, along with tingling on the top of that foot ... off and on for the last several years.

Because I have a lumbar disc problem, the drop foot was investigated as quickly as I could push through the tests ... MRI and nerve conduction studies. I did go to a neurologist, who said the nerve problem was not due to the disc problem. There's not enough pressure on the nerve. The ortho doctor ordered another MRI (one in the sitting position) so he could see if the relationship between the disc herniation and the nerve changed at all. It did, but there's still no compression of the nerve. So my foot drop and the diagnosis of the nerve problem are unrelated to my lumbar back problem. Weird. The ortho doc has seen this before, and even had an associate in the same field who damaged the nerve playing softball.

The neurologist did two tests, a nerve conduction velocity and needle EMG test, and the DX was "significant right peroneal neuropathy". My understanding is that the peroneal nerve is one that starts as part of the sciatic nerve bundle, but then somewhere around the knee branches out and goes down the front of the shin, slightly towards the outside on me.

I would recommend going to see a neurologist. The 'sunburn' sensitivity could be the same thing I had (none of my doctors ever caught that it could be a nerve problem).

Old 04-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #13
(female)

sheri42 HB User

Hello,
I have responded to your post before and told you that yes, this is exactly what happened to me after my L4-S1 fusion. Mine started around 3 weeks post op and effected both my feet but my left was worse. I had the area of my instep to my big toe effected and my second and third toe and accross my first 3 toes. It started with hot burning pain. Then it got even worse. felt like someone threw hot bacon grease on my feet. my foot areas were very heat sensitive. Then I could stand for anything to touch those areas. I mean anything. It was a sunburned feeling that made me cry if I even touched it.

I told my surgeon about it and he said it was some medical term and that it should be gone by 6 months post op. He gave me neurotin, and lidocain patches to put on the areas of my foot until the neurotin kicked in. I am here to tell you that I could not even wear a sock or shoe. Even the air from out ceiling fan blowing on my feet hurt and made me break out into a sweat. It was the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life. My feet were also red and I thought that I had RSD. I didnt have that and the neurotin totally made it go away. I quit the neurotin at 6 months post op, and the sunburned areas were gone. My feet are still heat sensitive and my left foot is unable to sweat and really dry but that damn sunburn and burning bacon grease feeling is gone.

Your doc is an *** and you need to get on neurotin or some form of nerve med for the pain. I dont even know how you can walk if you had what I had. My pant leg rubbing on my foot would drop me in a second. Absolutely horrible pain. Get to a pain mngmt or gp or someone and get on some meds for this. You dont have to live like this. You can go back and read my post and see that I thought that I had RSD because of the sensitivity and discoloration of my toes/feet. My left calf was effected too.
Let me know how you are doing.
Sheri

Old 04-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Porter you can get these meds from your family doctor as well. They take a few weeks to really get working, and in the mean time they seem to put you in a real fog.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I am so sorry you are going thru this. Geez you have been thru enough with the pain and the leg swelling. I live 100 miles for Denver and have the the best neuro around so that would be 400 miles but I would not trade him in for the world.

porter read my posts my last appointment we spent about an hour talking about my pain and recovery and him telling me that I should not be to hard on myself about the meds and that it will all work out.

I know that I have other problems with my back but he fixed the worst for now for my quality of life and I really have done great.

Sorry Porter but I do think it is time to find a new Dr.

Closed Thread