It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Bass11

I wanted to pass on a few words of wisdom and really I frequently need to listen to this advice I am passing on to you.

You mentioned that [B]today was a rough day, I tried to avoid pain pills all day untill the evening came around and couldnt take it anymore ... I definetly will ask my doc about those nerve pills some of you were talking about...[/B]

When you are in pain, try not to hold out on the medicine. In the end the pain will sometimes get way ahead of you and it takes longer to get the pain back under control. I also become very grouchy just ask my family and I am unable to enjoy quality time with my friends or family.

With this said, I also realize that sometimes you do have to hold out on medicine due to working and/or driving.

Just my 2 cents......take care and may you soon find some pain relief.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
(female)

bailey07 HB User
Re: Bass11

I needed to hear that, I am always trying to push the time farther or just take 1 pill instead of two. It usually catches up with me by evening. My incision is in the front and is so hypersensitive, probably bothers more than the fusion at times. Great info,
Bailey07

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Bailey I think is often the case with many of us. We try to be tough and hold out and really all we end up doing is being in severe pain. I do it often myself. In fact, I feel like I have had to take so much medicine and I feel guilty for it. I also hate to call in for refills because I feel terrible that I need it to control the pain. I suspect this is a very normal response for many of us back suffers.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Bass11,

I didn't have any bone removed either, he just went in and shaved off the portions of disc that were herniated. 123diet and bailey are right about the meds. You need to take them regularly in order to stay ahead of the pain. I also agree that if you know you need to drive or work that you need to take them accordingly. Hope this helps you too, my back feels great. I can press rather hard on the surgical site and there is no pain. It is just the residual nerve issues that I'm dealing with now as I mentioned in the previous post. Keep us posted, we will all keep you in our prayers. Usta

Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

I have recently been going through this as well. I have been on meds almost a year since my surgery and I don't know how long pre surgery. I go through periods of time where I stop taking them for a few days because my pain level will be a 3 or 4, then it becomes an 8 or 9. It is a vicious cycle. I HATE calling in for refills. My Pain management doctor recently told me (last week in fact) that they aren't giving up and neither should I. If you stop taking your medicine, when you need most, it won't be as effective because in fact, the meds are actually reducing the pain. When you start taking it again, it takes that much longer to actually feel relief. It makes sense, but I still feel guilty, until I hurt so bad I take it out on my loved ones because I am such a grump. They actually bought me a nightgown from The Disney Store with a picture of Grumpy on it. I am to wear it as a warning to them if I am having those days ha ha. So, if you don't need it for a few days, it is ok but don't wait for the pain to be unbearable before you go ahead and take it. Good luck to you all!

Lisa

Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
(male)

bass11 HB User

yeah I guess maybe I will take them next time, but taking stuff like the percocet makes me feel kinda crappy, and dont wont to become dependant on them either, doctor says the same thing as you guys do ,in that taking them before the pain really sets in is better than letting it get unbearable and then taking it which makes it harder to get under control.. I do feel guilty when I take them also, like I am poisening my body, well I will see the doc in a couple of days and find out more info on meds to take. thanks LADIES for you helpful info, I guess I just wanted to see if the pain was as bad as it was when this all started,and yes it was .

yes it also made me very crouchy towards my family and thats not good for I need them right now... THANKS AGAIN....

Closed Thread