It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

mammaof2 HB User
titanium disc replacement anyone

Well, my neurosurgeon said he would like to do a titanium disc replacement (or some other kind, I forget) on me rather than a fusion. I think I would choose that surgery over the fusion, from what he told me….has anyone on here had it done? He said it is hard to find an insurance to cover it, and it’s a relatively new procedure, but he prefers it. B/c there is 2 incisions, its riskier, and the recovery is worse, but I’m willing to go for it…supposedly studies have proved it better than the fusion in the long run on the other discs..
I would appreciate any imput..Thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User
Re: titanium disc replacement anyone

Have you done any research on this? I've never heard of titanium discs. Is this in lieu of fusion? You know there is more than one type of fusion. I would gather all the information you can about your diagnosis and check on the web on what your options are. My surgeon wants to do the traditional fusion on me and I said forget it, he really tried to sell me on it but I've spoken to many people who've had it with bad results and I opted for a newer procedure and he wasn't happy about it citing that I would essentially be a guiny pig (Its been widely used in Europe for many years but only about five years in the U.S.). The good thing about this procedure is that although its called fusion I would still retain my natural spinal mobility. Get all the info then press your doc for all the facts and options, there are always options. If he wants to replace your discs there are other materials that can be used. Just check it out before you make up your mind.

Last edited by lilredsmom; 04-25-2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

mammaof2 HB User

i have looked into it, and i think i would rather do this than the fusion. i just havent spoken to anyone w/it yet. the long term studies prove better than a fusion..less chance of reoperating, more motion, less stress on otherr discs etc.
the procedure has been done in europe for about 15yrs, and was fda approved for l4/5, l5-s1 in 2001.
those are the 2 i would need. anyway, there's no hip bone needed, no screws, etc. the studies say the time in healing is less than a fusion, and the time until you are able to walk w/o pain is less. i'm not sure about the double incision..my dr said it would be, but reading about it, said one single incision
my surgeon has done more of these here than any other surgeon in the area..so, i figured maybe someone here has had it done, or knows someone..

Old 04-27-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
(female)

jaylynn5 HB User

Hi this is Jaylynn,I just had the titanium done,I had a L4and L5 fusion done in 02 and had a accident in aug 06 and blew the disc below the fusion ,had so much pain,and lots of pressure,did the chrio treatmeants-22,then Pt -pain was too bad to do anything,then MRI,and three E-shots in lower back that did NOTHING! it hurt to sit,walk or laydown,so had the surgery on the 18th of april and I feel better with the surgery pain than I have in 6 months.My Dr said it would hold better than anything,they went through the front which was so..................much better than going through the back.I am happy already,but you have to decide,I wish you the best,let us know what you decide.Jaylynn

Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
(female)

mammaof2 HB User

thank you sooo much!! it seems great so far, the recovery. can i ask which insurance you had, and the cost?? my surgeon said that most insurances dont cover it, so i'm shopping around now. i heard it holds up great, and gives great cushion. also that its less stress on the other discs.
what made you do it?? how long was your basic recovery?? walking etc.

i really appreciate the input!!!

Closed Thread