It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

jkd65 HB User
MRI with STIR????

HI.
I posted only once or twice before.. i have thoratic pain, mostly at night then slightly during day with morning stiffness of that area ( sometiems into chest and ribs)
I had an xray done which showed some " sublte lucency " on t 5 and t8 so dr scared me to death thinking i had bone cancer and had a bone scan done. That came out completely normal.

she referred me to orthopedic surgoen who ordered an MRI. He said he is very sure i do not have lesions but will order the MRI to be 100% sure ( gosh i figured bone scan ruled that out and we would be looking for other causes).
i see is says MRI with STIR? Does anyone know what that means?

Also, it says to rule out lesions but if there are no lesions will the MRI show other problems if it is not noted to look for that ( like disc, infection etc.. )

thanks,,
janet

Old 04-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User
Re: MRI with STIR????

It is Short TI Inversion Recovery (STIR) It has something to do with the sequence timing on the MRI machine/timed to suppress the signal from fat. I usually have MRI's with contrast dye when they are looking inside the disk area or the canal. It picks up more than the normal MRI.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

jkd65 HB User

thanks
do you think then that the MRI with STIR won't pick up disc problems as well as with the contrast? I guess my concern is he wants to rule out lesions but he acts like he does not think there will be any.. so i woudl prefer doing an MRI in a way that can rule out lesions but also show other problems ( infection, spinal disc problems etc)..
thanks.
janet

Old 04-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Paul from CA HB User

Chris,
when you say "with contrast", is that given by injection into the suspected disc(s) or is it administered by IV?
Thanx

Old 04-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: Sorry for jumping in, but in my case "with contrast" always meant that they used an iv to administer the dye.

I've had scans done for mine spine, abdomen, gall bladder, etc, and when they were looking for lesions or at a mass of some kind, discs or canal probs they would do one [U]with[/U] and one [U]without[/U] contrast to make a comparison. I guess it depends on what the Dr *wants* and is *looking* for. I've also had scans of my spine where they didn't use contrast, so I don't really know what it depends on. I just had a cervical spine scan, because of constant pain and loss of movement, and they didn't order the contrast.

Good luck I hope it goes really well.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

Yes the contrast goes in with the IV method. Where as, the contrast with the Cat-Scan was through the spine. I think Cat-Scan/dye is another name they have put on the old Myelogram. I have had 6 MRI's and only one was with dye. It was after the hardware was in. At that time the disc's were gone and they were looking more for entrapped nerves and scarring. They did find some peripheral clumping of nerve roots and the appearance of Arachnoiditis. This never showed on prior MRI's without contrast. This was a level that prior to surgery showed no bad signs at all.

Closed Thread