It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
(female)

harleybiker24 HB User
Question fusion what to expect post

I had a laminectomy 8-2006 on L4-5, neck fusion 2-2007 and a fusion on L4-5 4-2007 to take away leg pain.
I still feel realy stiff and depressed alittle. I still lie in bed at 2 weeks post.
My ? what can i expect at 2 weeks and later on with this surgery on my lower back because of the metal ?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: fusion what to expect post

Sorry to say, but it is too early to talk about full recovery. It defenately takes longer than 2 weeks.
Just take it easy and follow what the Doctor has to say and hope for the best.
I am sorry if you uncomfortable, but this comes with territory :-)
Wish you a speedy recovery and don't give up!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I hate to break the news to you and don't want to sound negative in anyway but you have had three major surgeries in 8 months. Three surgeries in that short of period can take a large toll on your body.

Lumbar fusion recovery can take up to 6 months plus to recover from. It is a big surgery and really very important that you follow the no bending, twisting, or lifting rule to allow your body to fuse properly.

Right now I am 13 weeks out from a fusion.

The general rule is about six weeks they let you begin driving and doing stuff around the house as long as you don't bend, lift or twist. My doctor wanted 12 weeks of no cooking, cleaning, laundry, driving, etc. which is more than the average doctor.

At 8 to 12 weeks, I noticed that I had more strength and staminia but was still taking naps some days.

I hope I haven't scared or depressed you further but it is real important that you take it easy and let your doctor guide you in this recovery. Right now you shoud be vegging and not lifting a finger except to eat.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

This is so true, Pepper. My Doctor did not let me do anything for a very long time and now i would like to do but still not capable.
I was not allowed to drive for 6 month due to the fact that when you have to back up your car, you have to look back which makes you twist your body. And this is not allowed for a very long time.
Just have patients, it will be OK eventually. You will take it easy now, will be better in a future.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="3"]
Moldova --Funny you mentioned backing up your car , I hit my daughter's cavalier twice in one month. My insurance said one more and they will drop us , That ticked me off because I never had any accidents before. That's Allstate for ya. I hit here car cause I couldn't twist to look behind me while driving my truck..Both vehicles needed repairs twice

Pepper thanks for being truthful ,these fusion's really can take a toll , 3 surgeries in one year ??? WoW they really had you on the meat table. Hope you get a full recovery , just take it easy for a few more months.

Shawley[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I drive no more than 10 minutes at 13 weeks. It is extremely difficult to turn especially with 2 levels fused. I am scared to drive 20 to 30 minutes then get out of the car, do what you need to do, get back in the car and drive 20 to 30 minutes. I would be dead from pain and it just is not worth risking injury to myself or my two 's.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]My hubby equates my driving to driving a panel truck. I don't have the side vision that I used to have. I'm just thankful for leather seats because the allow me to twist my body without moving just my back. Never thought I would be thankful for leather seats.

Another little sidebar to driving. Driving while on pain meds. did you know that if you are pulled over and given a sobriety test, you can be cited for DWI for driving on narcotics? They are a controlled substance folks.... This really makes me watch when I take my pain pills and when I get behind the wheel. And I also make sure that I have my container with me of the drug that I am taking. I was flabbergasted when I found that out....[/COLOR]

Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Good point. I won't drive on the percocet unless 4 to 5 hours have passed. It just is not worth it.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Pepper, are you completely "clear" after only 4-5 hr after taking Percoset? O boy, it takes me many more hours to clear my head and driving is not an option even if i could drive!! :-)
I can't twist my body at all to be able to back up my car.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Yes, no problem. I take one 5mg. tablet. I have been on it for over two years. I only maybe 4 hours of relief. Now if I was to take a vicodin I would be out for 24 hours.

Last edited by ms_west; 05-02-2007 at 04:19 AM.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

I was on 5mg for maybe a month and than stopped helping me. Now i am on 15mg/325 and it helps better for about 5 hours, no more. I try hard to take only if i can't stand the pain- very afraid not to get used to. But i definatelly can't drive or even talk on a phone normal after i take it for a good 6 hours.
My friends laugh at me when they call and i answer the phone while i am on "Percoset". They don't understand what am i talking about!! :-)

Old 05-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I am seven weeks, and am driving fine, as long as its not a long drive, then it becomes painful. Today I walked two miles all at once!!!! I have became very active in the last week, by force but still, I'm very active anyway lol. I have to lay down several times a day because my back won't let me do another thing, it forces me down, even though I want to go,go, go. I am still on all meds. Doctor wants me to keep on meds so that I keep active and heal and strenghten faster. The more walking you do, the more active you get the better you will be. Ofcourse following the no blt's. At two weeks, I was just in bed except when walking. I have just increased walking everyday!!!

I don't know how long this is all gonna take, but we are all different Roy is doing awesome, he is the poster child. And we are all different with healing etc. Some more out of shape than others to. Luckily I only gained around ten lbs in the last year and not more, that was enough.

Doc recommends swimming etc, but just released to start that. Its a process. Time flys thought trust me.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Yvette, good for you! What exactly did they do second time for you? I mean during the surgery?
Do you think you are doing better at this time (than the first one)?
Go girl!

Closed Thread