It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
fish oil supplement?

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to get some info on fish oil supplements, I have heard that it does help arthritis, which many of us have in our backs, I have also heard that it helps your memory does anyone know if thats true? and if so will it help the memory problems caused from the neurontin & lyrica that many of us take. I ask this because I'm not quite sure what to look on the net for as far as names of these fish oil supplements.

Thanks!

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User
Re: fish oil supplement?

Hello Carol, I never heard of those claims. I actually bought and use the fish oil (Omega 3) to lower my cholesterol. It's supposed to be good for the heart and circulation, if you want more info I suggest you do an internet search. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

I am taking fish oil too (Omega 3) I have seen all kinds of wonderful things about it on the internet. It claims that fish oil helps with memory, heart health and the are now saying arthritis. Look up Omega 3 and you should get some good info on the subject.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Hi Mamakitkat: Look at the bottom of this page on the link to omega3, it has a lot of info on mental and mood health, cognitive function, and dementia benefits of the fish oil supplements. I don't know if it would help with the effects of the meds you mentioned, but I would be careful with those, because they do cause a lot of problems for *some* people. When I took neurontin (1 time) it caused a lot of swelling in my hands and feet, and the worst part was it caused terrible vision problems and dizziness.

I have controled glaucoma, and found out after taking it, one time, that you can't take this and a lot of other anti-depressants if you have glaucoma (controlled or uncontrolled). I know that a lot of people get benefits in nerve pain relief, but just be careful since I'm not sure what the long term effects are, except there have been a lot of law suits for off label uses of it on long term use.

Good Luck...[/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 05-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
Thanks for response, I never saw the links at the bottome of the page, DUHHHH to me. I do know the neurontin did a number on my memory but that is better with the lyrica. I feel less sluggish on the lyrica too. My family does have dementia in it so perhaos I should be looking into to that too.

Thanks all

Carol

Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi

I have heard Omega 3 is good as an all round health supplement.

I take Glucosamine,codliver oil and calcium every day.

Not sure if they do any good but hey! It carnt do any harm.

Best wishes

Old 05-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Mama - I too take a fish oil, Omega three essential fatty acids. The reason why I take them is: I read over the net, medical journal, and talked to my doctor. Mainly Omego-3 EFAs can help with joint pain, can help with joint health over all. Other benefits of omega-3 EFAs is blood clot prevention, immune system boostin, healthy blood vessel dilation, and pain reduction. Also has shown in people with Arthiritis who take it have less inflammation and joint pain. Omega-3 helps keep our disks healthy, mainly degenerative disk disease- helps keeps from breaking down our shock absorbers. There are other benefits as others have mentioned above. I hope this helps! Hope you are doing well .

Rose

Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
Rose, I'm doing ok today, this weather front we have going thru is giving a me a run for the money but it will soon pass. My hubby has brought up taking the fish oil, he has arthritis in his back and probably everywhere else seeing how he moves in the morning. But try to get him to go to the doc. I think we may try this fish oil, like it was said it can't hurt.

Sherry, thanks! I will be starting some extra calcium I think as well. I take the centrum senior, doc says it has more bone stregthening vitamins in it than what I would normally take at my age, 45.

Thanks guys
Carol

Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]CArol,

I just got the omega3. I'm hoping it will help hubby with his heart issues, and me with the mood enhancement...and maybe with remembering where I left myself....if not, it may help us breath underwater better..... [/COLOR]

Old 05-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi mamakitkat: I just wanted to mention that those links change often, so the one I was referring to is no longer there. It was an omega 3 article, not a store that sells it, so I don't know if you caught it or not, but hopefully it will return, at some point. The name was "benefits of fish oil".

Good luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 05-02-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Closed Thread